Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done this without any family, etc. at the hospital?

I know this sounds weird...but do you have to have someone there at the hospital while you're having surgery? I don't have any family members near me and I have only shared this with a couple of people who are unable to take off work. They can insure I get there and am picked up. I'm praying all goes well and they can be on standby if a situation arises. Has anyone done this "alone"?

I am, tomorrow. DH passed out when I was explaining the procedure to him at home. He's passed out before while visiting people in the hospital. He just doesn't do well with medical stuff. There's no need for him to be there so I told him to stay home unless he really wants to come visit after I'm back in my room.

The program I'm going with is really awesome. At the final preop class, they have everyone say their surgery date so you can meet everyone having surgery the same day as you. Then I met another at support group. So now I know 4 or 5 people going through it at the same time as I am, so I'm sure we'll be roaming around together when we go for our walks.

You can do it. It will totally be fine. You're strong enough to make it this far. You can handle this.

I am, tomorrow. DH passed out when I was explaining the procedure to him at home. He's passed out before while visiting people in the hospital. He just doesn't do well with medical stuff. There's no need for him to be there so I told him to stay home unless he really wants to come visit after I'm back in my room.

The program I'm going with is really awesome. At the final preop class, they have everyone say their surgery date so you can meet everyone having surgery the same day as you. Then I met another at support group. So now I know 4 or 5 people going through it at the same time as I am, so I'm sure we'll be roaming around together when we go for our walks.

You can do it. It will totally be fine. You're strong enough to make it this far. You can handle this.

Thanks for your reply! I wish you the best with your surgery tomorrow.

I honestly want someone to be there but due to their schedules, it's not possible. I'm wondering also who will keep with my personal belongings?

I totally understand the desire to have someone there with you. Don't worry - the hospitals will take good care of you. Leave your jewelry and anything expensive at home and they should be able to secure the rest of your stuff.

Good luck both of you on your surgeries! :) I'm a praying woman so I'll say a prayer for you both!

My mother in law dropped me off and my husband came after work to visit, but no one was there during the actually surgery, not till hours later. Happens all the time, they will take care of you!

I totally understand the desire to have someone there with you. Don't worry - the hospitals will take good care of you. Leave your jewelry and anything expensive at home and they should be able to secure the rest of your stuff.

Good luck both of you on your surgeries! :) I'm a praying woman so I'll say a prayer for you both!

Thank you very much for the prayers!

My mother in law dropped me off and my husband came after work to visit, but no one was there during the actually surgery, not till hours later. Happens all the time, they will take care of you!

Thanks for your reply! It's nice to have a forum like this.

I'm going to have one friend with me. No family. I'm nervous.

I am in hospital right now 3 days post op, and have had no family and friends around. All my family are overseas and I live 3 hours from the hospital. My husband dropped me off and headed back home to look after our 3 kids and continue harvesting. I have been fine, the staff here amazing, and a,though have missed my family it's been quite nice just concentrating on me for a change!!

Let me know how you do, I'll be in the same position as you. I'll be driving myself to the hospital for surgery and then I will have two people to come to the hospital once I'm ready to be discharged, One is bringing the other one so she can drive me and my car back home, three hours away. I'm scared too but I'll get through it and so will you!

It looks like I will be dropped off picked up unless they allow someone to stay the night with me. We live an hour away from the hospital and my surgery is scheduled for 3pm! My husband works nights so he won't be able to stay. My mom has to be at work early so unless they allow my 20 year old stay, I'll be solo.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Before I posted I was having a bit of a pity party for not having someone to be there with me, so thanks for making me feel better. I'm nervous but I know it will be the best decision of my life.

I am in hospital right now 3 days post op, and have had no family and friends around. All my family are overseas and I live 3 hours from the hospital. My husband dropped me off and headed back home to look after our 3 kids and continue harvesting. I have been fine, the staff here amazing, and a,though have missed my family it's been quite nice just concentrating on me for a change!!

How are you doing today? Any tips or advice?

It looks like I will be dropped off picked up unless they allow someone to stay the night with me. We live an hour away from the hospital and my surgery is scheduled for 3pm! My husband works nights so he won't be able to stay. My mom has to be at work early so unless they allow my 20 year old stay, I'll be solo.

I pray all goes well with your surgery! Keep me posted.

Let me know how you do, I'll be in the same position as you. I'll be driving myself to the hospital for surgery and then I will have two people to come to the hospital once I'm ready to be discharged, One is bringing the other one so she can drive me and my car back home, three hours away. I'm scared too but I'll get through it and so will you!

Yes, we will get through this!