Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s great to hear that so many of you attend support group meetings – both that you have them available, and that you choose to attend them! It seems that going to these meetings is linked to better success – maybe because it helps keep you motivated and on your toes.

I am glad BariatricPal is able to play a role in providing support as a source of information and encouragement, as well as to hold members accountable!

Nope, never attended a single support group meeting. No time and I'm REALLY not a people person. I get all my support from friends, family and online forums.

My nutritionist classes at the first surgeons office were sort of support group in nature and I'm wondering how it will go with the second group

I'm just starting my journey. I had my first of 7 monthly appointments on November 30. I had the breath test this past Wednesday and I'm going to my first support group on this coming Wednesday.

I love my support groups. I've gone since May. To everyone. Now that I'm post op I don't know what I would do without them.

I do. The group is sponsored by the hospital where I will have my surgery. It's a thriving group, open to anyone. 30+ people, everything from preops like me to folks who are 10+ years out. Today was about stress, facilitated by the LCSW who has worked with the hospital bariatric program for 15 years. Really worth the time.

My surgeon has a support group that meets twice a month in the office's waiting room. It's lead by the bariatric nurse who is also facilitator for the surgeon. (He does everything from support to insurance) It works.

I was required by the program to attend one, so I did that and found it helpful to hear from the vets. I've tried to attend one a month since I started this six months ago and I intend to keep going after surgery.

I have never been to a support group. I considered them to be a waste of my time. Having to sit in a meeting for an hour and hear people complain would annoy me, however I have used Bariatric Pal as my support group, which works out great because I can participate as frequently or infrequently as I want to. The hospital where I had my surgery offers the support group once a week I think at the hospital.

I have never been to a support group. I considered them to be a waste of my time. Having to sit in a meeting for an hour and hear people complain would annoy me.

I don't know what you think happens at support groups, but mine, at least, is anything but a complaint-fest. There is always a topic, and the facilitator is either one of the RD's or the LCSW who works with the program. They bring in speakers, including a local plastic surgeon who does post-WLS surgeries. It's worthwhile enough that people drive a considerable distance to attend.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I have never been to a support group. I considered them to be a waste of my time. Having to sit in a meeting for an hour and hear people complain would annoy me, however I have used Bariatric Pal as my support group, which works out great because I can participate as frequently or infrequently as I want to. The hospital where I had my surgery offers the support group once a week I think at the hospital.

I'm with you. At least with the online forums I can turn the computer off and go do something else when I get annoyed or bored. It's rude to just get up and walk out of a meeting. (And you know I would hate to be rude ;) )

I most likely won't attend the support meetings. Where they meetings are located is 45 minutes away from where I work and live and the start times are during rush hour. The hospital where I had my surgery also offers support groups, again the same problem 45 minutes away in no traffic. I have looked online for ones that are more localized but so far no luck :-(

I attend monthly support meetings held at the hospital's wellness center sponsored by the bariatric group. There is an information session for people considering surgery from 6-7pm (attended by one of the bariatric surgeons). That is followed by the support group meeting from 7-8pm. The monthly support group meetings have a theme and sometimes there are guest speakers. Some of the guest speakers included a bariatric psychologist and a trainer from the medical integration program.

The meetings are attended by about 40 people and I will continue to attend until I no longer find them useful.

I went to one through my bariatric center and one that was posted on here. I decided I am not a support group kinda person.

I went to the bariatric center one about 2 months post op and could have used some support, but the facilitator didn't show up due to an emergency so it was a self run meeting that didn't go that well.

The second one, I was already at goal and the conversation wasn't too relevant to me.

I rely on this site!

What WAS helpful was going to a support group at a nearby hospital when I was preop. That meeting was so well run - cohosted by a counselor and a Nutritionalist. It helped me get over my fears (I was considering RNY at the time) and create a more realistic view of what to expect. I highly recommend that preops spend some time doing this!

No, I don't.

My surgeon's office is in Washington DC and it takes me almost 2.5 hours to get there. There are local groups however. I attended the group years ago when I was first contemplating surgery, and it was kind of a negative group.. Honestly, I don't find in person support groups that helpful. I like online support groups much more. I also am in a few FB groups.

However, my best friend has RNY 5 years ago, and her mother had it before her. I have a lot of support in my life too, but having my BF having been through it was very helpful.

Edited by Chrystee