Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone knows you’re supposed to attend support group meetings after weight loss surgery. Unfortunately, not everyone does or is able to attend as often as they want or even at all. Your surgeon may not offer them, or they may not be at convenient times or locations, or you may just not find them worth the time to go.

So, do you attend support group meetings? Who sponsors them – is it your surgeon/clinic or another organization? How often do you go? Or, do you attend any online live sessions? Where are they based?

I attend. It's run my bariatric program. They have several at various locations & times. They are facilitated by the program nutritionist. Occasionally have guest speakers. The last one I attended the speaker was a plastic surgeon who specializes in skin removal surgery. They also have a graduates support group. I don't go every month, but I do stop in every so often. Especially when they have guest speakers that interest me. I find it to be an invaluable source of encouragement and information.

I am a little over one year out and haven't gone to one support group meeting, even though my bariatric team offers it.

But it's because time and location isn't convenient.

Funny you should ask this question, I intend to go this Thursday for the first time. I have about 20lbs to go to reach my personal goal and I think the added support will help.

BP has been my support group, albeit virtual, it has helped me through some challenges. I visit this site almost daily.

I have been going to the monthly support group meeting since April....my surgery was in August. The meetings are really small....the largest one was 7 people including me and the NUT. They are at an inconvenient time 5PM and the hospital is hard to get to...but still I go because I know it's helping me be accountable. I wish more people would come...it would be more interesting. I would like to go to one at another hospital but I don't know if they would let me.

I go every month It is important to speak with people farther out than me and I love to share my experience with others...

I do go almost every week. The one they have at the hospital where I had the surgery is kind of far, especially with LA traffic and it is 6pm, but I have appointments up there this Thursday, so I will stay for support group. Otherwise I go to a local support group also on thursdays, and it is very close. Even if you did not use their surgeon, anyone is welcome, it is run by a psychologist. It is mainly geared to the ones that have not been sleeved yet, and usually around 30 people, but I like it.

I went faithfully the first year to my own hospital and another one. They were both very far and difficult to get to after work. I miss them. I do go to OA but I don't really talk about WLS.

My hospital bariatric center holds one every second wednesday of the month. There's one coming up this wednesday. :) I love going to them and always feel inspired and comforted when I go to them. I started a month before surgery and have gone to every meeting since. Lucky for me my hospital is about 45 seconds drive away from me, just two blocks. XD

My bariatric center has a support group meeting once a month. I have only been to one.

I have four close friends and we all had the gastric sleeve surgery about two weeks apart, so we support each other. We check in almost every day and chat about our exercise plans, recipes and food intake for the day. We also do occasional weigh ins. It has been a good support system, but I should probably eventually make my way to the hospital ran meetings.

I attend both OA meetings and support group meetings at least three times a month, along with a couple of therapy sessions.

I advise people if they cannot find or conveniently attend a bariatric support group, they should join an Overeater's Anonymous group. Many bariatric patients attend OA meetings.

The OA meetings help me deal with my addiction to food, the bariatric support meetings help me focus on my program and my therapist gives me a platform to work out any other issues. Right now, I can use all the support offered.

At almost 2 years out I attend the support group meetings (held monthly) occasionally. Up until 4 months ago I was attending more often but have found that the program is mostly geared toward pre-op and 6 months post op. While they do break up into groups and one is 6-months +, I have found the subject matter to be very repetitive. Seems like a few attendees who are failing dominate the time and those seeking simple support are swept aside. Every time I've attended during the last year I say "last time" when leaving. The only reason to attend is to give back to the newbies during the general meeting.

I may make a recommendation to the organizer to be more diligent about keeping the group moving along and not allowing 1 or 2 to consume the entire meeting.

You all are my support group and I find your comments invaluable.

Ours is monthly through my surgeons group. Until this month I've not missed one. I'll be 5 days out from my plastics, so I'll be in no shape to be there, lol.

It's great to support folks going through the process. It also keeps me grounded and focused. That's what keeps me going each month. Plus, I like the people ;-)

This forum is one of my best support groups!!!

Truly The moderator couldn't get past introductions in the 1 1/2 hours

Really the group is for pre and just post. Maybe a year or so. Otherwise it is a conduit for surgery I think

Wish they had a ...say.. 5 year out group or something so as to not be repetitive... Still looking 9 years later. Maybe start one??? Unsure