Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two years ago today.....

.....I started my preop diet. I consider this my anniversary date rather than my actual surgery since I lost 22 pounds on the preop. Since surgery I have lost over 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off for over a year. I don't measure or track my food. I don't own a scale. I never obsessed over numbers or details. I just stuck with mostly Protein and veggies while I was losing and stayed away from the "white carbs".

For maintenance I simply eat a healthy balanced diet including Protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains. I make healthy choices (most of the time) and my sleeve helps control my portions. I still indulge in sweets, Desserts, alcohol, bread, rice, potatoes, etc, but definitely in moderation. I still drink Protein shakes and eat Protein Bars. Although I don't officially track, I do keep a rough tally of protein and fluids and usually exceed 70g protein and drink 64-100+ oz of fluids every day. I take my Vitamins every day. I have bloodwork checked annually as recommended by my surgeon. I don't excercise but I have a physical job and active lifestyle. It really has been a pretty easy journey.

So here's a recap some of my favorite year 1 NSVs....

I can cross my legs. I can even cross them in a car and under a table.

I can hop up into my saddle without having to find a rock or log to climb on. I feel so relieved that my horse no longer has to pack my fat ass around the mountains.

No more knee, ankle or foot pain. I lived on ibuprofen and tramadol before surgery. I am now completely pain free. I can also squat down and kneel effortlessly without my feet going numb or needing a table or chair to heave myself back up.

I can sprint up stairs or hike up a hill without getting out of breath at all. I've been on 15-20 mile hikes with friends and I am always out front, waiting for them to catch up.

I can shop in regular stores. I can order clothes online and I know they will fit and look great. I now dress to show off my body, not to hide it.

Now for year 2.....

Maintenance is boring. NSVs are few and far between. Everything is just "normal" now. Spent most of the year finding and keeping that balance between what my head wants and what I know I actually need. I rarely weigh myself, but I will step on the scale at work after an especially carby weekend or vacation. I go back to strict protein/veggies or even full on preop liquid diet if I pop even one pound above my bounce range. I know I have to nip any small gains in the bud before they become big gains.

But this year also brought about the biggest NSV of all. It has nothing to do with my weight, it's all about my head and it's one I would love to not have experienced. My best friend committed suicide 7 months ago and every day since has been a miserable struggle with the grief, anger, despair and confusion. The victory in this is that I haven't buried my emotions with food and alcohol. I spent over 1 1/2 years drinking and stuffing my face after my brother died 4 years ago. In the end that only impeded my ability to heal and made me even fatter and more miserable. I learned that you have to feel the pain before you can over come it. So this time I'm feeling it all. And it sucks. I will never stop grieving either my brother or my friend, but maybe some day I can start living again, rather just going through the motions.

Anyways, thanks for reading this extended post, and good luck to all you newbies. My advice is don't get wallowed down in the "now". Don't be overwhelmed by the details. Life is more than just carbs and protein and minutes at the gym. You chose a chance at a new life. The first few months are just a teeny tiny period and simply part of the process you have to go through to get to that new life.

First photo collage taken December 4, 2013 and December 4, 2014

Second set taken this morning.......I just had my gallbladder removed 8 days ago, so that's what's up with the new scars and my belly is still a little swollen from surgery. I also got a new tat last February - a tribute to my brother who was a wonderfully talented musician.

post-182221-0-92131700-1449280956_thumb.jpg post-182221-0-06523800-1449280993_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kindle

Congratulations! You have been an inspiration to me and I have learned a tremendous amount from your story. You are a true blessing.

@@Kindle, I've always enjoyed reading your post-this one is no different. I especially like that you are sharing your experiences from year two. Speaking of which, I am truly sorry for the loss of your best friend. I lost My best friend in 2005. I think about her most days but the pain is no longer as raw and deep. I pray you eventually find peace in the memories of the good times you shared

You look fantastic (surgery scars and all).

And by the way, you gave great advice for all if us. But especially to the newbies. Thank you

@@Kindle I totally agree with the others. your posts are always spot on and your post here was personal and heartfelt. for a newbie hearing you have survived weight-wise thru some personal tragedies helps me.

thanks Kindle :)

Congratulations on your milestone Kindle. Wishing you continued success.

God bless you and the journey you've gone through to get where your at today your very strong and motivated I'm sorry you have gone through so much and I am sorry for your lost you have gained 2 guardian angels who will be there cheering for you when you feel down God bless

Congratulations on your continued success. You look wonderful. I have to agree with you, I also thought the first year was pretty easy. The second year, still easy, but a little more challenging. I also agree that maintenance is not too exciting.

I am so impressed with your ability to maintain your weight during this time of extreme stress. I'm sorry for your loss, and the pain it causes. The fact that you are not relapsing into what I assume (from personal experience) is previous habits of self destructive eating says a lot about you and your commitment to yourself.

Thanks for an inspirational post!

Great post! Congratulations on your successful journey, it's very inspirational.

You look great and very fit. I'm envious of your peace about the food intake and hope I can get there in my year two. You're really doing this right.

And I am sorry for your pain but also proud of you for staying away from negative coping behaviors. Sitting with emotions is so much harder.

@@Kindle

I've always appreciated your advice and no nonsense approach to WLS. You were always such an inspiration to me as a newbie, and still are as I transition into maintenence. Congrats on your 2 years! Very impressive with what you've been through!

Congratulations on your accomplishments!! You look amazing and more importantly feeling great.

I am sorry about your loss of your brother and friend. I know they would both be proud that you are now able to deal with life's stressors and sorrows without turning to food!

We all appreciate you here and value your input.

(((hugs)))

That is awesome! Congrats on all your hard work paying off!

I've enjoyed all of your posts and comments.

You are an inspiration and a true success story.

You not only lost weight and got your mindset back you also overcame alcohol abuse. It by itself is a huge pat on the back!

I'm so sorry about your friend.

You look great and I hope to have a similar mind set down the road about life in general and not live in the now.

Congrats to you.

Heather