Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving BariatricPal $200 Store Giveaway and Recipe Contest

It’s time for a Thanksgiving Giveaway! We’ve been thinking about what we’re grateful for, and our members top the list. To thank you, we’re giving away four $50 gift cards to The BariatricPal Store!

We’ll be holding a random drawing for the gift cards on Thanksgiving weekend, and we’ll notify you if you’re the winner by Sunday, November 29. That’s just in time for you to go shopping at The BariatricPal Store on Cyber Monday!

What can you get at The BariatricPal Store? Bariatric Vitamins, Protein bars and shakes, Fiber supplements, hot and cold breakfasts, Protein chips, Cookies, and other Snacks, instant low-carb meals…Stop by and browse!

You can enter the drawing by posting up your favorite healthy Thanksgiving recipe on this thread. Everyone who makes an eligible post is entered into the drawing. Here’s what an eligible post includes:

• The name of the recipe. It doesn’t have to be fancy. “Roasted Onions” or “John Doe’s Carrot Appetizer” is fine.

• A list of ingredients and quantities. “4 egg whites, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt…”

• Directions for making the recipe. “Drain the Beans and heat them over medium heat with the garlic powder and cumin. Dice the tomatoes and add them to the bean mixture…”

We can’t wait to see and try your recipes! Good luck in the drawing, and thanks for being part of BariatricPal!

Calico Dip

A magtart family favorite. This is served at all family events. We have to at least quadruple the recipe as we have a large extended family.

Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 1 cup low fat cottage cheese ( small curd preferred)
  • 1 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1/2 cup low fat Mayonnaise
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup green onion, minced
  • 1/4 cup radish, minced
  • 1/4 cup cucumber, seeded and minced
  • 1/4 cup green pepper, minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions
  1. Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Add in sugar (if using), salt, minced garlic, and all the veggies. Stir well and refrigerate for at least an hour to blend flavors.
  2. Serve with celery sticks, carrot sticks, or any other veggie dippers -- great with potato chips too!

I planted a garden and started canning. Things taste so much better and are healthier when you can control the ingredients. Cranberry Sauce or that congealed log is always a thanksgiving favorite. Here's a healthy version that I hope you'll enjoy: Make it yours!

Cranberry Sauce Vers 2.0

8 serv, 15' prep, 15' cook time.

2- 12 oz bags fresh cranberries

3/4 cp pineapple juice

1/2 cp no sugar applesauce

1/2 cp Water

juice n zest of 1 orange

3-4 Tbsp of honey or to taste (optional)

Instructions

1. Put cranberries, pineapple juice, apple sauce and Water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

2. Keep on medium heat, stirring constantly until the cranberries start to explode about 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Reduce to simmer and pour the juice and zest over the cranberry mixture.

4. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes and remove from heat.

5. Cool completely and store in fridge at least 4 hours but preferably overnight before serving.

6. Note: this is not as sweet as store versions. Taste at the end of cooking. It is naturally sweetened from the fruit juice and the applesauce but you can add more honey or stevia to taste if needed.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving.

Broiled Shrimp Parmesan

Ingredients:

1 pound of raw shrimp (I get medium to large size)

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1/4 cup butter

3 tbs Mayonnaise

2 tbs fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic power

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon celery salt

I peel my shrimp and put them on a foil lined pan. Melt butter and mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Take a spoonful of mixture and put it on top of each shrimp. Turn oven on broil , once heated cook on top rack for 4-5 mins. That's it!! We eat them all the time and make them as appetizers. This same mixture is also fabulous on fish! Here's my last batch...

Now, did I WIN??! Ha!

post-237766-0-52657500-1448320711_thumb.png

post-237766-0-78989000-1448320871_thumb.jpeg

Can I get 1 entry per recipe?

BTW, Elode, love your new avatar.

NomNom Brussel sprouts

*Brussel sprouts (obviously)

*chopped onions (1 cup)

*cloves of garlic (the more the better)

Drizzle on coconut oil

Bake 375 for approx 35 min

Drizzle on balsamic vinegar

Bake for another 10-15 min

Then chow down!

Nomnomnomnomnomnomnom

A variation of pumpkin. sweet potato pies. I make a White bean pie.

For the Crust
1 1⁄2 cups almond meal
1/4 cup refined coconut oil (unrefined will still have a slight coconut flavor. If you don't mind that use unrefined.)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
Water as needed
For the Filling
1 cup evaporated milk or milk substitute like non-dairy culinary cream
1 cup canned navy Beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
4 tbsp. coconut oil
1 1⁄2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
Make the crust: Pulse flour, oil, and salt in a food processor into pea-size crumbles.I use half the oil initially. Check consistency and then add the rest as needed. If the dough appears dry, add water; pulse until dough forms. I think push the dough into a pie plate like you would if making a graham cracker crust.
Make the filling: Heat oven to 350°. Purée cream, Beans, Syrup, coconut, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and eggs in a blender until smooth. Pour filling over dough; bake until golden brown on top and filling is set, about 1 hour. Let pie cool completely before serving.
If you want to be fancy, garnish with dark chocolate shavings.

Hawaiian style sweet potatos

4-5 large sweet potatoes boiled and chopped in cubes

1/4 fresh pinapple diced with the juice

1/2 cup Splenda Brown sugar

2 tbsp vanilla

1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

1 tbsp nutmeg

1/2 stick butter melted

Combined all ingredients in a baking pan. Mix well, cover and cook on 350 for about 30 minutes. Top with unsweetened coconut and chopped almonds broil uncovered until coconut is browned.

This is Bobby Flay's recipe for quinoa salad and a favorite side dish in our family for get togethers....

Ingredients

3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1 clove garlic, smashed and finely chopped to a paste

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup quinoa

Kosher salt and pepper

2 cups red and yellow grape tomatoes, halved

1 cup pitted kalamata olives

2 green onions (green and pale green part), thinly sliced

2 pickled cherry peppers, diced

1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced

1/2 English cucumber, cut into small dice

Feta, for sprinkling

Directions

Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, garlic and some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the salad to allow the flavors to meld.

Rinse the quinoa in a strainer until the Water runs clear. Combine the quinoa, 2 cups Water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl, fluff with a fork and let sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add the tomatoes, olives, green onions, cherry peppers, red onions, cucumbers and dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours before serving. The longer it sits the better the flavor.

Just before serving, transfer to a platter and sprinkle feta on top.

Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes"

1 lg head cauliflower

5 lg cloves garlic

Salt & Pepper to taste

2 tablespoons grassfed butter (or butter substitute)

¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Fill up a large pot of Water with a couple of inches of Water. Set burner to high and place steamer insert into pot and put on the lid.

While waiting for the water wash and trim the cauliflower and cut up the florets and the stem. Peel the garlic and slice the cloves (the pieces don't need to be perfectly even).

When the water boils, toss in the stems, half the florets, all of the garlic, and a liberal amount of salt.

Next, add the rest of the cauliflower, more salt if you like, and put the lid back on. Steam until soft, about 10 minutes. It's best to make sure this is more overcooked rather than undercooked or it won't turn out smooth.

Drain in a colander. Put it in a food processor and add the pepper, nutmeg, and butter. (Note: if you don't have a food processor you may be able to use a blender, I cannot vouch for this method though). Process until smooth.

PS this reheats well in the microwave if you decide to make ahead.

Edited by sunflowerchild

"Thanksgiving Hangover Cure" Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup in a Crock Pot

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes Yield: serves 8

Ingredients

• 32oz low sodium chicken broth
  • 7 cups Water
  • 2 tbs crushed garlic (or 2 cloves)
  • 2 tbs chopped basil (or 2 tsp)
  • 4 cup leftover chopped turkey
  • 2 tsp Kosher salt
  • 2 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • juice from one small lemon

Instructions

1. Toss all ingredients in a slow cooker. Heat on medium for 3 hours or high for 2 hours.
  2. Serve and enjoy!

Edited by Cervidae

Leftover Turkey Enchilada Soup

2 cups shredded leftover turkey

6 Cups chicken stock

1 large can enchilada sauce

1 can green chiles

1 poblano pepper chopped

1 large sweet onion chopped

3 carrots diced

2 stalks of celery sliced thin

2 cloves garlic minced

1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn

1t cumin

2t chili powder

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

2 T olive oil

Heat olive oil in large heavy bottom soup pot. Sweat onion, celery, poblano and carrots until begin to soften. Add garlic and stir for about a minute. Don't burn garlic or it gets bitter. Add chicken stock, enchilada sauce and all other ingredients to the pot and let simmer until veggies are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste and certainly add additional chili powder or even hot sauce if you like it spicier. I happen to like mine more on the mild side.

You can also add Beans to ramp up the Protein and take the corn out. I don't eat Beans.< /p>

variation of pumpkin. sweet potato pies. I make a White bean pie.

This is so out of left field it has me intrigued. I think I am going to give this a try. Thanks for posting this!

Steve's Quick and EZ- I Cant believe it's not pizza

1 Flatout Hungry Girl Flatbread ( Italian flavor style if you can find it)

Tribe Tomato and Basil Hummus

1/4 cup of Skim Milk Low fat Shredded Mozzarella Or sliced etc.

2 oz of turkey Pepperoni or Any Vegetable or topping you like

2 leaves of Fresh Basil

1/4 teaspoon oregano

Preparation

Chiffonade fresh basil leaves ( slice into thin strips)

Place a Flatout Flatbread on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 5 minutes or until the edges are a little brown.

Remove from oven but leave oven heated.

On flatbread spread an even layer of hummus across the flatbread. leaving a small margin at the edge.

Sprinkle Basil and oregano on top of hummus layer.

Spread Mozzarella evenly over top of the hummus.

Top with turkey pepperoni, or any toppings you like, vegetables etc.

( i recommend cooking any vegetables or uncooked toppings first as this will be in the oven a short time only.)

Place on a cookie sheet or baking pan, and place in oven until cheese is melted.

PS - If you wish to add garlic i recommend putting it on top of the hummus but under the cheese to avoid burning it.

ENJOY!- Its a pizza, make it your way!