Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else worried about the chemicals and artificial additives?

I was a very healthy eater before having WLS. Even though I ate well, still couldn't lose, so opted for the surgery which I had two weeks ago, and am struggling a LOT to get all my Protein in.

It really worries me that most of the protein products have SO many artificial sweeteners, coloring, chemicals etc. I just don't see how any of them can be healthy, even if they are high protein? I have tried going for the healthier versions of whey Protein powder, but the selection is so limited and I just can't get all the protein I need for the day.

Am I the only one worried about all the artificial stuff they put into these high protein products?

I try to eat as cleanly as possible I use raw honey and occasionally real sugar. I recently picked up some Monkfruit in the raw, but the ingredients on that are monkfruit and dextrose. I don't eat any diet foods at all. I mostly use the naked whey and add that to regular foods. The lone exception are the Isopure nocarbs drinks.

I expressed my concern to my NUT at my first follow up after surgery. Having been in the hospital and only getting sugar free popsicles, I noticed that when they melted they were just clear liquid and a colored sludge. I know that prolonged use of sugar free anything is probably not healthy. She told me that she has been using sugar substitutes for over 10 years and has no problems with them. I am a little more reserved and I have decided that during this first 10-12 months I will "play ball" and make choices that put me in the best position to lose the most weight. But once I hit maintenance and adjust to eating to maintain, I will most likely opt for foods and beverages that has little to no artificial sweeteners. I would even be ok with some small amounts of regular sugar, though not in any beverages. I will do what is needed to lose, but adjust accordingly later, as I cannot believe that prolonged use of this crap is even close to healthy. Thats just my opinion.

Edited by dlappjr

Yeah I have issues with it. Protein shakes though, really are a short time in the process. Once I could have solid foods, with proper planning I could eat all real and clean food and get to my Protein goal.

Still when I think about how I used to eat before, just the quantity of even good food, I think a few chemicals is balanced or lesser of 2 evils trade off.

Still a person can completely avoid Protein Shakes if they want to once they are on soft foods, it just requires tracking, weighing and planning. It all depends on the tolerance levels and dedication.

One of the things that has been the most shocking to me in this journey is how different the plans can be from surgeon to surgeon. My surgeon specifically has us NOT eat any Protein drinks or artificial sweeteners after surgery (though he does allow it for the pre-surgery diet). In fact, he told us to not worry about reading labels too much because "If you have to read it on a label it probably isn't healthy." We are still very much taught to do the high Protein, low carb, but he recommends it come from meats, cheeses and vegetables - fresh where possible.

I admit that I've been nervous a bit because I have a harder time tracking how much protein I actually get in each day. That said, not having sweetened drinks has I think really helped me not have ANY sweet cravings at all. I do like the idea of the cleaner eating - just hope there are no hair issues down the road.

All that said - I definitely recommend you stick with the plan given by your doctor. I just found the variety in plans very interesting!

One of the things that has been the most shocking to me in this journey is how different the plans can be from surgeon to surgeon. My surgeon specifically has us NOT eat any Protein drinks or artificial sweeteners after surgery (though he does allow it for the pre-surgery diet). In fact, he told us to not worry about reading labels too much because "If you have to read it on a label it probably isn't healthy." We are still very much taught to do the high Protein, low carb, but he recommends it come from meats, cheeses and vegetables - fresh where possible.

I admit that I've been nervous a bit because I have a harder time tracking how much protein I actually get in each day. That said, not having sweetened drinks has I think really helped me not have ANY sweet cravings at all. I do like the idea of the cleaner eating - just hope there are no hair issues down the road.

All that said - I definitely recommend you stick with the plan given by your doctor. I just found the variety in plans very interesting!

I agree with you. I am so shocked to see how different they can range. From types of foods, to how much of one type. Some are very strict while some give generic broad answers to very specific questions. I wish there was a more uniform plan that all weightloss centers would use. For instance, my Surgeons office is designated a Weightloss Center of Excellence. That is a nice distinction, but I have seen other WLSoE offices that have differing plans. Can they not just get together and adopt a more inclusive plan that would cover the majority of patients, regardless of where they get the surgery? I know that every person is different and sometimes a patient with a certain dr. gets a different plan than another patient with the same dr. either way, I agree to stick to the plan given to me and follow the advice of my Surgeon, until such a time comes where I may seek to inquire a 2nd opinion. But for now all seems good.

Edited by dlappjr

Those are good thoughts, maybe I should be doing that. I have been off all the garbage for so long I just can't bring myself to buy the stuff with all those artificial and chemical things ... sigh. Might have to bite the bullet and buy some and think of the lesser evil and think more short term. Thanks for helping me think more broadly on this... :-)

I expressed my concern to my NUT at my first follow up after surgery. Having been in the hospital and only getting sugar free popsicles, I noticed that when they melted they were just clear liquid and a colored sludge. I know that prolonged use of sugar free anything is probably not healthy. She told me that she has been using sugar substitutes for over 10 years and has no problems with them. I am a little more reserved and I have decided that during this first 10-12 months I will "play ball" and make choices that put me in the best position to lose the most weight. But once I hit maintenance and adjust to eating to maintain, I will most likely opt for foods and beverages that has little to no artificial sweeteners. I would even be ok with some small amounts of regular sugar, though not in any beverages. I will do what is needed to lose, but adjust accordingly later, as I cannot believe that prolonged use of this crap is even close to healthy. Thats just my opinion.

I like that plan from your doc.... I cannot bear the sweetness in all these drinks... have bought some unsweetened and trying to use those. But I think it will be better once the real food is more possible. Just started puree today and was able to make egg drop Soup with real egg... and some thicker turkey bacon and squash Soup all blended, etc. Much better than the drinks...

The thing I did notice once I realized I couldn't have stevia was that cutting back and only using the real thing made me crave it less. I bought that Monkfruit in the raw 2 weeks ago and only used it last night in a cup of tea. Even then I think I could take it or leave it. Probably won't buy anymore of it. I just crave fewer sweets.

I like that plan from your doc.... I cannot bear the sweetness in all these drinks... have bought some unsweetened and trying to use those. But I think it will be better once the real food is more possible. Just started puree today and was able to make egg drop Soup with real egg... and some thicker turkey bacon and squash soup all blended, etc. Much better than the drinks...

I would just add a scoop of the dissolved unsweetened to a cup of soup. That's still my favorite thing to do even now. I just switch up from a ¼ to ½ scoop depending on how flavorful the soup is. It was a welcome break from the super sweet drinks and shakes.

I use Young Living Protein Powder and it's yummy, all natural and packed with Protein. Let me know if you want to get some (I'm a distributor)

Those are good thoughts, maybe I should be doing that. I have been off all the garbage for so long I just can't bring myself to buy the stuff with all those artificial and chemical things ... sigh. Might have to bite the bullet and buy some and think of the lesser evil and think more short term. Thanks for helping me think more broadly on this... :-)

it may or may not be for you. I understand the hesitation. For me it is not so much about a sweet craving but more for taste. For instance, I wanted oatmeal at phase 3 but could not stand the taste of plain oatmeal. I found a cinnamon brown sugar sugar-free to rani Syrup that made that oatmeal edible. I drink Powerade 0 cal, zero carb Isopure drinks, sobe life Water 0cal and other things like that. But again, that feeds a necessity in me to drink something other than Water, or I won't get my Fluid in. I guess I figure as long as I don't stay on that stuff forever, then it serves a purpose for now. Best of luck, whatever you decide.