Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey bandsters,

I am a teacher and I'm concerned about returning to work after surgery. Unlike most business folks I can't go to the restroom whenever I need to I have to wait until class is over. How have you handled returning to work, what about the PBs? I just getting nervous since this actually seems to be getting ready to happen. :help:

Gee I don't know but it is a good question. I am a school bus driver and I will be banded on Sept. 10 and I am nervous as a hen for sure. When will you be banded?

You will do fine.......you can tell when you are going to PB.....have a cup with a lid. Pretend coughing and face the board..PB and cover. I PB all the time. I just don't make a big deal about it.....You are throwing up food above the band.

Keep me posted

spunky

<p>I've never been one to have problems with foods, I can in general eat anything, and I've only ever PB'd twice in 18 months. But I do worry about it in public eating situations, I"m always super duper careful.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm not a teacher yet, I'm half way through my degree. I had full time teaching practicum late last semester and am going back in 3 weeks for more. For the first time in my banded life I found eating in public an awkward experience. For reasons unknown I was tight as a fish's proverbial every single lunchtime. I took Soup or cheese and crackers every single day and I even ahd trouble with the soup! I was just soooooooo careful - given that I didnt know these people at all. If I'd been in a work situation where I was a member of staff, I would never have hesitated to tell everyone I was banded. But I felt so silly, it took me literally the whole lunch hour to eat a bowl of soup! I know people noticed. </p> <p> </p> <p>If there's one limitation on my life as a result of being banded, its that being unable to eat in a hurry is darn inconvenient sometimes. I have to elect not to eat at all.</p> <p> </p> <p>At this stage of my banded life, I could get by on a good Breakfast, and somethign really really simple like a yogurt for lunch, perhaps a piece of fruit or a muesli bar after school hours have finished. When I go back in 3 weeks there's no way I will be even attempting sandwiches, Pasta etc, all things I normally eat for lunch with no problems.</p> <p> </p> <p>I think I was probably nervous about it and that made me tight.</p>

Unfortunately PB's are not something that I could cover with a cough. When it has happened to me, its been a very loud and definite ralph, lol. Preceeded by 40 minutes of horrid sliming that I could never have hidden. I am most definitely not OK when that happens and could never pretend to be.

But before you run screaming in fear, I've done it to myself when its happened. Its entirely within my control to prevent it and that's all I'm saying. Dont eat difficult foods, dont eat a lot and dont eat quickly in public and you'll be fine.

I am a banded middle school teacher. I would plan on eating in your room and grading papers or relaxing until you get used to it. I've never PB'd yet, but I am very careful at work.

Also, I have my neighbor, and I've alerted her in the event I need to

damn long pinky nail...

if I need to "run" out, she will cover me. As for the restroom, I try to drink as much as possible 45 min before a break or "potty time". Then I mad dash to the bathroom...it is hard, but you'll get used to it.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your summer!

I saw this post and thought you might like to see it: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/banded-teachers-talk-btt-35268/

As a parent who deeply respects and appreciates teachers and how important you are for our children and their future, I feel badly that the classroom setting will complicate your Lap Band process. As if it's not hard enough to either have the band OR teach, but both? WOW! My hat's off to you!

That's for your replies. I have been concerned because I haven't told anyone I was going to be banded. I was hoping to get it done over the summer but it looks like it will probably happen in September some time even still I wasn't going to really tell anyone but you have made me feel like I can do this. One more question...How long did you take off work??

Hi!

I am a teacher, too and had the exact same concerns! I was just banded last week and I would say you will need at least a week to recover. Maybe you could schedule your surgery Monday and take off the rest of the week. I have decided to stick to Soup or soft things at lunch so that I won't have to worry about PBing unitl I get to know my band. I think you will be fine. My opinion, get your band as soon as you can! Everything else will work itself out. The coworkers I have told have mostly been supportive. They will ask you lots of questions, so if you don't want to discuss it, you might wait until it is done. Good luck and let us know how things go! We are here to support you!

Hey I'm a teacher too, and was just banded 7/17. We begin classes 8/15, but need to be in before that 8/9! I'm a little worried about just getting around. The soreness is going away, now I worry about the moving around. (I teach pre-school kids) I guess I'll just see how that goes....

Hi all! I have been pre-plotting my school year as well - I have 30 minutes for lunch so will plan on eating in my room - and nothing too earth shattering - I was just banded 7/17. I have no breaks in the a.m. from 8:10 - 11:20 so will have to be careful what I drink in advance. Hopefully I'll have a para in there during part of the time so I can make a quick escape if needed.

Hello teachers! I was banded 7/2/07 and am teaching summer school. It is morning classes only and am doing fine. I eat very soupy cream of wheat for Breakfast and a Decaf coffee at home. Im done at 11:30 so I get to eat lunch at home. I am concerned about eating in public. Im still on mushies and I havent told anyone except for my husband and grown children about being banded. I plan on eating in my room during the school year. I am still learning about stopping eating before I am too full and eating slowly, chewing, etc. Good luck!

I was banded during the school year. I too have a 30 minute lunch and I eat in the teacher's lounge everday. I hate to see anyone eat in there room everyday. I love my kids but we all need some adult conversation for our own sanity!

A big thing that has helped me is that I pack my lunch everyday. Making the right food choices is an important factor in helping you not to PB. You also have to remember to eat slow and stop before you are too full. Eating with someone is easier for me because I have people to talk to so I eat slower. This usually means that you don't finish your lunch but that's okay.. You can always eat it or a healthy snack later. Also remember not to bother with a drink. This can cause a lot of pain and lead to PB's.

Here are some foods that work well for me:

tuna to go(those small containers of tuna and crackers)

cheese & crackers with small slices of lunch meat

cup of Soup

uncrustables(peanut butter & jelly)

leftovers from home

granola or Protein bar

Good luck and try not to stress. I'm betting that you will be pleasantly surprised. I hope you have a wonderful school year!

I love this thread!! It's nice to get the real scoop from people who are also Teachers!

I hate to see anyone eat in there room everyday. I love my kids but we all need some adult conversation for our own sanity!

I hadn't thought about that - and you're right!! We have a "no shop-talk" rule in our Lounge (unless it's a student who has a hardship that we all need to know about). The conversations really get rolling sometimes, and we laugh so much that we don't' finishing eating!

Once I've managed the fear of PB'ing then I'll probably want that socialization. Thank you for the meal suggestions. It's helpful knowing what works for different people, so we can plan. :hungry:

Thank you, dolphin dreams for the lunch suggestions. You definitely make it sound "do-able". I will try to eat in the staff room a couple of times a week. I usually eat in my room (on the computer) or while reading a book, etc. I teach kindergarten so I really enjoy the peace, quiet and solitude of my lunch time! Ive often felt that eating alone makes me seem antisocial... so with all the new teachers coming on board in Sept. I will try to be more sociable and get to know them!