Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running shoes

I'm wanting to start couch to 5k after the holidays. What are your favorite running shoes?

I went to a running shoe store and got fitted. They test your pressure, determine your arch, etc. Best shoes I ever bought. My feet don't hurt while doing c25K, or after. Our store is called Fleet Foot. Ended up with pair of new balance

My first, second and third choices:

*Brooks

*Brooks

*Brooks

They work for me.

Go to a runner's store and get fitted for your stride whether it's for walking or running. If they made them in my size, I would love to try a pair of Hoka One One shoes.

Make sure to buy the right shoe for your stride. It will make all the difference in the world, I promise.

Brooks has a nice analyser on their webpage that may get you pointed in the right direction.

Mizuno! Lol, I have tried Brooks and didn't love them, but a lot of runner's swear by them. I like Mizuno because the stability shoe they make for flat footed people like me is really light weight and comfy. I've been running in them for probably the last 8 years or so and before that I used Adidas. The best idea is to go to a shoe store and have them fit you. Then go buy the shoes online and save like $30 because specialty running stores are expensive, lol.

I will definitely check out all of these & see if I can find a running store in my area. Thank you all for the input!

@@MichelleTN

All good ones above. A affordable option is Asics. I started out with a pair. No blisters or pain. Always a good Idea to invest in good shoes as you go.. Christmas is on its way. Great time to drop a hint that workout gear would be nice. :D

Definitely get fitted at a running store. I rotate between Hoka One Ones, Muzunos and Aisics, Brooks don't fit my feet right, everyone is different!

Take a pair of old walking/running shoes with you when you pick out your new ones. A GOOD worker there can see the wear pattern and help you pick out a good pair (some strike the ground with their toes, others with their heals and some pronate to the side). BTW further note as you lose weight your needs in footwear will change. When I was at my heaviest I needed a shoe called THE BEAST from Brooks. Now I wear lighter weight Asics. So while you are getting some solid advice here, it might not be the best for you.

@@MichelleTN - BTW, great job trying the C25K program. Here are some tips I found from my start back in March:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/332044-tools-hacks-and-tips/?hl=%2Bplaylist#entry3751744

I agree, get your gait analyzed, so you get the best fit shoe to meet your needs. I have lost track of how many pairs of Brooks I have had through the years.

Another important aspect is inserts...I love mine. They have kept my feet healthy for years by providing additional shock absorption.

So funny I see this post today because literally this week I have decided I am going to the running store to get a good pair! Very excited about it! My feet are a mess right now with the shoes I have been wearing! Excited to read all your comments!

Take a pair of old walking/running shoes with you when you pick out your new ones. A GOOD worker there can see the wear pattern and help you pick out a good pair (some strike the ground with their toes, others with their heals and some pronate to the side). BTW further note as you lose weight your needs in footwear will change. When I was at my heaviest I needed a shoe called THE BEAST from Brooks. Now I wear lighter weight Asics. So while you are getting some solid advice here, it might not be the best for you.

Oh yeah.....The BEAST is the one I like, too. Good for where I'm limping along right now. I want to try the current model.

If they made them in my size, though......and could knock off the crazy bright colors.....I'd be all over a pair of Hoka One Ones. They are supportive and shock absorbing machines.

Sadly.....they don't come in 14W.

Go to the BEST running shoe store around. Jock and Jill in Seattle had a podiatrist there for a fitting event. I weighed 250# and needed awesome shoes tor the 60 miles over 3 days Susan b Komen cancer walk. I trained and I walked every mile and I credit those shoes with helping me make it.

Anyway that first pair costs a lot (and they need replacing pretty fast if you do alot of miles due to loss of impact protection due to miles)...but now you know"your shoe" including size and can buy online or outlet or sales.

BTW further note as you lose weight your needs in footwear will change. When I was at my heaviest I needed a shoe called THE BEAST from Brooks. Now I wear lighter weight Asics.

I currently have two pairs of The Beast from Brooks. What model of Asics did you buy?