Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 40-41 and pre-op diet

My surgery is in 2 weeks and 1 day!!! I was told I don't have to do a pre-op diet because my BMI is < 48. Has that been others experience as well?

My insurance didn't require a pre op diet at all.

My surgeon only required preop diet for bmi over 50. I was 42, so it wasn't required.

I followed a modified one, completely voluntarily, though.

Only preop I had was 6 days of lean cuisine (1 LC/day-yuck) and Protein drinks (3/day). Day before was bowel prep and Clear liquids. This was a liver shrink diet a lot of doctors want and of course the bowel prep and Clear Liquids was to make sure my system was pretty cleaned out.

My surgeon requires a two week Protein liquid diet, her explanation was that it reduces the size of the stomach and liver making it easier for surgery. I am halfway (week 1) into my two week preop diet and from my experience I think that it helps your mindset, kind of like practicing before you have no choice. For me, the right thing to do is the high protein liquid diet. The first two days are the most difficult, but if you drink lots of Water and eat the recommended protein amount you quickly learn that your not hungry, you just crave certain foods. I bought my protein from Unjury online and bought the sample pack (variety) and a PB2 ( which is Peanut Butter flavored protein) so good! Good luck!

Citygirl. I am fortunate enough to live near the hospital where Dr. Michelle Toder who pioneered the robot for laparoscopic surgery is. She is my surgeon, based on her accreditation I plan to follow her instructions to a T for the safest outcome.

My BMI was 41 and I still was required to do a preop diet. Lost 16 lbs in that two weeks. On day of surgery my BMI was 38.2.

My bmi was 47, my pre op diet was a 3 day clear liquid diet.

My original surgery was cleanse night before.noe next wks revision i havent heard anything yet.

I have met with two different surgical practices (settling on the second I met with - they were far superior), and neither of them would have required a pre-op diet. One did like to see low-carb for the week prior, and the other said it's not necessary. My BMI is 43 right now and will likely be right at 40-41 at surgery time.