Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre surgery preparation

When I started this journey I was at a low BMI. I was told that I really didn't need to lose weight just not gain. Because of this I don't think I have really prepared myself for the behavioral changes that I will have to make in relation to food. I have replaced meals with shakes and I have tried to pay attention to what I am eating and I have gotten rid of Diet Pepsi. I also try to slip slow and not drink with meals but I still don't think its enough. I would like to hear from people that made significant changes before surgery vs those that wait until after surgery to deal with issues. Thanks for the Info

I started this journey in July. My surgery is November 17. The first month I kept doing everything I was doing, maybe exercising a little. Then I had got into a different mind set. Around that time I was diagnosed as diabetic. I quit drinking cokes and stopped eating sweets. I really watched my sugar. I have done really well. I started walking and working out at the gym more than I was. I guess my big change was what I eat. I dont eat perfectly healthy , but I have really really cut down on sugar. I still do not drink cokes. That was HUGE for me. I watch my Snacks and stopped eating Breakfast at McDonalds. I now eat low sugar low fat Cereal at work.

My insurance required a 3 month regimen where I had to have nutritionist appointments and lose weight each of the three months. I have done that.

I started March 1st. Having my surgery on November 24th. I immediately gave up soda, caffeine, and alcohol. I started logging all my food on the Fitbit app. I try to keep under 1200 calories. Concentrate on getting between 65-90 grams of Protein a day and keeping my carbs low. I am so thankful that I have almost lost 60 pounds. I feel like my sugar addiction is under control (of course, I know it can rear its ugly head at any time so I try to be diligent.) The two times when I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin for wanting sugar I allowed myself to have a prune. I know this sounds funny but it was nice and sweet but also has Fiber and other good things in it. I also got rid of everything in my cabinets that aren't good for me. (Because I can be really creative with putting ingredients together when I want to!) I also have changed my relationship with food. Before (I hate to say it) I would always secretly try to "cheat the system". I'd eat "diet products" that were treats and fat free things--etc. Now I am trying to give

@@Chrisedwards

Having no idea what guidance came from your surgery practice or which procedure you'll have, my general, concrete suggestions are that, if you were instructed to do more now than you mentioned, (1) certainly do what you were told, and (2) begin giving thought to how you'll proceed post-surgery. You'll be ahead of the game if you think ahead.

You threw some curves (holes?) into your message. If your BMI is low by a reliable standard and you were told not to lose, but to maintain your current weight by knowledgeable parties (i.e., not your family or friends), why the "journey?" Has your medical plan approved? I'm not challenging you, merely asking based on what you've provided if you're being wise and have reasonable/realistic expectations. These are things you need to be sure of. I have no idea if any surgeons will do WLS on request alone and hope that's not the case for you.

Laurie

I didn't have weight loss requirement either.

What helped me to prepare was to: wean myself off of carbonated beverages, increase my Water, try different Protein shakes, tracking my food and exercise, paying attention to Protein, and exercising 60 minutes a day.

I did all of this gradually over months, focusing on one or two new goals/habits at a time.

Pre-op is also a good time to strengthen your support system and learn as much as you can.

Best of luck with your surgery.

I didn't have a weight loss requirement. Instead I focused on eating high Protein meals and eating, eating slower (each meal had to take at least 30 minutes), separating eating and drinking and chewing each bite until it dissolved in my mouth. This helped me post-op since I could eat without getting sick and I didn't forget to sip. I had given up soda years before. The biggest challenge for me was increasing my protein. I eventually got it up to 100gms a day or more. That took work so I'm glad I worked on it.

#1 - I worked through this book: http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical/dp/0976852659/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436729032&sr=8-13&keywords=bariatric+book

#2 - gave up alcohol (three day taper)

#3 - Diet soda

#4 - Caffeine (two week taper)

#5 - Began pre-op diet two weeks before surgery.

Did lunch as my slow eat practice meals for three weeks prior to surgery. Also discovered I liked Isopure green tea from GNC.

RESULTS: No sudden no caffeine headaches post surgery. No soda cravings. Knew rote skills for slow eats. Was emotionally prepared. Extra Protein from Isopure kept my energy levels high.

For me the biggest adjustments were 1. Not drinking 30 minutes before and after eating 2.cutting my food to the size of an aspirin 3. Chewing each bite 30 times 4. Eating slow. I try to put down my fork thoroughly chew 30 times then swallow before picking up my fork.

@@Chrisedwards

Having no idea what guidance came from your surgery practice or which procedure you'll have, my general, concrete suggestions are that, if you were instructed to do more now than you mentioned, (1) certainly do what you were told, and (2) begin giving thought to how you'll proceed post-surgery. You'll be ahead of the game if you think ahead.

You threw some curves (holes?) into your message. If your BMI is low by a reliable standard and you were told not to lose, but to maintain your current weight by knowledgeable parties (i.e., not your family or friends), why the "journey?" Has your medical plan approved? I'm not challenging you, merely asking based on what you've provided if you're being wise and have reasonable/realistic expectations. These are things you need to be sure of. I have no idea if any surgeons will do WLS on request alone and hope that's not the case for you.

Laurie

I assume she meant that she is at or just above the BMI required for surgery and her instructions to maintain were for pre-op.

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I the point of my question is just to make sure I am doing enough to prepare beforehand I am just above the BMI so they told me I didn't have to lose just not gain. I call it a journey because that's what it is.