Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing food you like

I'm a very picky eater... I don't like all foods.... and the foods I do eat are not the most healthy ones... I'm afraid I'll have a hard time eating the foods I'm allowed to eat and I'll miss the foods I used to love. .. how do I say good bye to my food? Anybody feels this way? And advice? (And yogerts are not my Freind)

Scard

I'm only just over 3 months out but I haven't missed anything and believe me I loved my food. I have a good variety of meals and Snacks and still have a Protein drink a day and also a Protein latte first thing in the morning. You will be surprised how much your taste will change.

I don't have any hunger and I go out to eat about 3 times a week with family and friends and have never felt envious of what they are eating. I am very lucky but know this might change over time.

I tend to see the positive side of things and focus on what I can eat and enjoy rather what I don't.

You will be fine!!

Yesterday was my 11th day post-op.

My wife was feeling down from hearing about a death in her family. I was on deck for ensuring everyone got fed. I went to Arbys and loaded up on the insanely delicious brisket sandwiches they bombard TV with on their ads. Everyone seemed happy.

Grabbed some Cookies later from a local spot that makes the best. Took them home to my wife. Cheered her up a little.

Took my son to a friends birthday party......picked him up at 10:00pm where he said they had pizza & cake yet he was miraculously hungry again. We went through the drive through at my favorite spot on Earth....BoJangles. He had a box of chicken sitting in his lap and couldn't stand it....1/2 way home he asked to eat. I laughed at him and said to dig in. He cut the overhead light on and destroyed that yardbird, biscuit and my favorite drink....a Diet Dew.

Needless to say he wasn't done by the time we reached the house so I sat in the driveway with him and waited on him to finish.

I am planning on cooking or grilling something for them for lunch today.

My wife is one of those blessed folks who has always been the recommend weight on the height-weight chart....or close to it.

Our son is a teenage carnivore. He's tall and overly lean. We keep him well fed....yet he's got the metabolism of three.

I say all the above to simply say this: I am constantly seeing HD TV food commercials and have been surrounded by my prior favorite foods and held prisoner seated beside Teenage T-Rex as he enjoys them.

It is no biggie. I'm still having Protein shakes as my only meals, 12 days post-op. I don't feel deprived or hungry. I"m not feeling like I'm missing out. I'm thrilled by the readings on the scale every morning. It feels better than any food could ever taste.

I used to say I eat everything I used to only in smaller more sensible amounts. Then I realized I have not had a hoagie since being sleeved. Now I'm that weird person who like health foods just as much as I love junk food. I was eating plain greek yogurt years before surgery because I like it. However I completely forgot I haven't had a hoagie until my sister bought one the other day. I literally have no desire for it. When you change your eating habits it really can effect your taste buds.You'll be fine. You will either find healthier alternatives or learn to do without.

You can still enjoy those same foods you enjoy in moderation and on occasion.

You will learn to enjoy other foods that are healthier for you that you can enjoy more frequently.

You don't have to breakup with those foods, you will need a separation from them for a little bit and then you can remain "just friends" thereafter. :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

@@monica36

I agree with the other posts. The way you feel hunger is different. For many of us our taste buds have changed after surgery. The way you look at food as something to nourish and fuel your body ...Wow that was my drastic change in my relationship with food.< /p>

The food I though I would miss is pizza. I can make healthy versions of it or I eat the toppings and no crust.

Check out some of the bariatric friendly recipes online. It might help you to see what eating can look like.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

I never thought I would say this. I appreciate home cooked meals now. Fresh ingredients and the quality tops everything for me. Most of us are busy and get into the habit of fast food or a easy assembly line made boxed frozen meals. I absolutely still love food and I love to cook. I'm not deprived of anything. I can honestly say I am enjoying all the foods that I like.

Side note:

You have to see @@Dub Barbecue photos..The man can cook!

You don't have to breakup with those foods, you will need a separation from them for a little bit and then you can remain "just friends" thereafter. :)

^^This is awesome! Just friends, lol...

To the OP- I never thought I'd be able to say no to all my favorite foods. Even though everyone said it's different after (just like they are all saying to you), I thought, well, that won't be me, they just don't understand how bad it is for me. It's hard to explain, but you'll understand when you get to the other side... It really is different. I need very little willpower to say no to the garbage I put in my body before surgery.

I still don't LOVE all the healthy foods I am eating, but I'm just not all that interested in food in general. I can honestly say, for the most part, I eat for fuel now. It's crazy. I'm only 8 weeks (tomorrow) post-op, so I can't say what I'll feel like in a year, but for now, it feels amazing to not obsess over food.< /p>

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

I am three months out from surgery and I do miss foods. When I feel food pressure building, I think about how far I have come and the pressures taut once dominated me seem much less important. Not eating some of the things nor the quantities of times past seems like such a small price to pay for mobility, less pain and feeling better about myself than I have in years! Also, food is about quality not quantity. As many have said before in these forums, you now eat to live, not live to eat.