Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you taking your Vitamins and getting your Water and Protein in? Its very importamt that ypu do. It will help in your recovery.

Have you tried electrolytes to help with the lethargy? During the first week or 2 after surgery I found that to be a big help. I found powdered electrolytes at the pharmacy. You just add the powder to water and it doesn't taste bad.

It took about a week out for me to stop feeling tired and needing naps.

From what I've heard from others, getting to the point post-op of "feeling great, full of energy" takes varying amounts of time for people -- depending on their starting health level, age, beginning weight, nutrition, exercise level, issues with depression and other mental health challenges, work/job stresses, etc.

I felt noticeably better by the end of Month One, and my energy levels have just kept rising ever since.

Interestingly, my goal weight was 150, which I reached about 8.5 months post-op. Over the last 5.5 months I've slowly lost another 10 pounds. I can't tell you how much difference this last 10 pounds has made in raising my energy level even more. It's been quite interesting.

Wow that is really interesting. Very useful as well. I want to be on the go all the time and I am I have three kids and I work and I go to school I'm 13 months away from my bachelors. I'm 41, I don't think I have mental issues but some people may disagree (haha) I want to not worry about my weight getting in my way anymore. Recently I went to New York for a week and walked 10 miles a day. In boots with a heel, I wanted to do so so so much more but just couldn't I was worn out by 730/800 almost every night. I'm 5'1 so ideally my weight should be 120 ish... I don't know how I feel about that, I happen to love my curves and loved them best when I was 150. Currently I weight 240 and my curves are hiding. I think I'm rambling... I'm just ready for this change can't wait to be posting after pics. ????

I haven't had surgery yet! Im set for early December. I'm just looking forward to energy and want to know the best way to get it!

Get your metabolism up.

It's not quite as easy as flipping a switch......but not too difficult sometimes, either.

Cut out sugary junk food. That stuff makes you feel lethargic and promotes cravings for more of the same junk a few hours later. Break this cycle and you'll find significant energy boost.

Live off meats, fish, fowl with fresh or steamed vegetables.

Get your activity level up. Walk, walk, walk.

Stay very hydrated with Water....not diet soft drinks. Being well hydrated has a great effect on your body.

Fight through the first few days as you get adapted to not having the sugar, starch and junk. You'll feel weird, but by the end of the week you will sustain a better feeling.

By doing this you are giving your body what it was designed to have....not all that processed crap that most of us crave and binge on.

Edited by Dub

Wow that is really interesting. Very useful as well. I want to be on the go all the time and I am I have three kids and I work and I go to school I'm 13 months away from my bachelors. I'm 41, I don't think I have mental issues but some people may disagree (haha) I want to not worry about my weight getting in my way anymore. Recently I went to New York for a week and walked 10 miles a day. In boots with a heel, I wanted to do so so so much more but just couldn't I was worn out by 730/800 almost every night. I'm 5'1 so ideally my weight should be 120 ish... I don't know how I feel about that, I happen to love my curves and loved them best when I was 150. Currently I weight 240 and my curves are hiding. I think I'm rambling... I'm just ready for this change can't wait to be posting after pics.

Jeez, if you can walk 10 miles a day for a week in NYC in boots with a heel at 240 pounds at 5'1" I think you would probably be able to FLY after you reach your weight loss goal (no matter what you determine that will be).

;)

For me personally it took about 6 weeks for my energy levels to improve. They were the worst during my two week preop diet as I'm pretty sure my body went through shock at the sudden calorie reduction!

When I started regular foods at one month, I started to get my energy back. Also, losing that first thirty pounds made a big difference.

looking back, I quit drinking first, then changed diet, then weaned off coffee and soda, but i was in the gym or walking everyday. all the changes were made gradually with a written plan. I had to stay on top of my game for work and didn't have bad withdraws energy level was always good. it was a three week process

My doctor said it takes 6 weeks. Your body is using all of your energy to repair and heal. In my experience, I felt pretty good at 4 weeks and 100% at 6 weeks. I had a lot of energy from the very beginning, but I got tired fast and had to take a nap every afternoon. I was able to stay awake 18 hours at about 4 weeks.

I never felt tired and lethargic even at my heaviest.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Thanks guys that is all really helpful. I think I am only going to take 3 days off work plus the weekend so 5 total. I have a desk job so I am hoping to be able to make it thru 8 hour days without feeling toooooo week. I'm confident I can handle it. I'm am really ready to do this. I'm working hard on changing my eating habits I didn't realize they were so bad.

Wow that is really interesting. Very useful as well. I want to be on the go all the time and I am I have three kids and I work and I go to school I'm 13 months away from my bachelors. I'm 41, I don't think I have mental issues but some people may disagree (haha) I want to not worry about my weight getting in my way anymore. Recently I went to New York for a week and walked 10 miles a day. In boots with a heel, I wanted to do so so so much more but just couldn't I was worn out by 730/800 almost every night. I'm 5'1 so ideally my weight should be 120 ish... I don't know how I feel about that, I happen to love my curves and loved them best when I was 150. Currently I weight 240 and my curves are hiding. I think I'm rambling... I'm just ready for this change can't wait to be posting after pics. ????

I have very young kids. The first month was hard but by the end of week 1 I was taking care of them. At about 6 weeks I was on vacation with them without dh and had more energy than before surgery. I never could have done that before surgery. By this September ( 2-21/2 months out) when preschool and k started I was filled with energy and walking 10,000-15,000 steps per day walking everywhere (live in a city). It has been growing and getting better ever since.

I quit taking daily naps about 2 weeks post-op; started feeling "normal" at about 6 weeks. There was quite a change when I started on real food. The weight loss slowed, until my intestines adjusted to working again, but my alertness and energy went up.