Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had an IUD placed after surgery? I was thinking about getting one. How is the pain?

I couldn't get mirena done because of pain. He said my weight made it difficult to see and since I didn't have kids my cervix was not stretchy lol.

I really want it though he said he has to put some people to sleep to insert it.

Edited by Tssiemer1

I've had my Mirena for several years. The worst part is when they measure your uterus to make sure it will fit. Once that was done the actual insertion was not that bad. Definately worth it though!

I am contemplating switching from DEPO to either an implant or an IUD. I am freaked about it all! I didn't worry about any BC prior to surgery and now it all I am thinking about. Gah! Being a woman is the pits (sometimes).

Before you get any IUD, study the risks and benefits. You can still get pregnant. I got pregnant on the copper IUD. Was 5mons along when I learned I was pregnant. I was going into year 3 with my IUD too.

@GAWildKat Good point. IUD is not for everyone. I was on depo in the past and gained a lot of weight and was always cranky. The IUD works good for me and my body but everyone is different. I already have a child and dont plan on anymore so it was a good option for LT prevention. Although I will caution, I did have breakthru bleeding and weird cycles the first few months after my surgery. I'm 5 months out now and things are finally starting to settle down. I still do have some breakthru bleeding when I exercise. I was told that a lot of the irregular bleeding was because my body was burniing fat so quickly and releasing hormones.

I was unable to get the Miranda without them surgically implanting it cause my cervix is to high for them to each in the office. I got a nexplanon instead. It's goes under the skin in my upper arm and lasts for 3 years. I have had it for 4 months now and no complaints.

I recently went to the OB/GYN to ask about an IUD and they recommended Skyla, which is smaller than Mirena and lasts for 3 years. They said it's a little easier to implant in women that have not had babies.

I have a copper IUD and I love it. I've had it for 5 years and zero problems.

I was so upset I was in too much pain to get it put in. I'm weak.

I literally had one yesterday! and OMG the pain was horrible, i nearly passed out, bleeding was gross - and yet today - pain free no bleeding - so i figure half day of pain etc and 5 years of security (i get pregnant freakishly easily for an obese person with PCOS :| ) - I'll take that :)

I'm scheduled for IUD insertion next Monday. Still trying to decide between Skyla (hormonal) and ParaGard (copper). I would prefer the non-hormonal route, but they each have pros/cons. I'm a little worried about pain and not being able to take Ibuprofen!

I'm on my 3rd IUD now. I've had 2 previous copper ones and now have a Mirena. I did get pregnant with my 1st IUD (Paragard) in appropriate position, which I was told is about a 1/1000 chance. The second I had removed prior to a (planned) pregnancy. I have a Mirena now, and admittedly did not enjoy the 1st 6 months of irregular periods and spotting. Now I don't get my period at all anymore (except for the week after sleeve surgery!) and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! I plan on just getting it changed every 5 years until menopause occurs at this point. As far as pain with insertion, I will admit with my 1 st one that was inserted before I had had any children, I had some pretty bad cramps for 24 hours. Haven't had any issues with the other two insertions. I know it sounds disgusting, but my GYN recommended getting it inserted during your period as the cervix is slightly dilated.

I had mine inserted earlier this year. It was uncomfortable to insert, but not horrible. Not going to lie I was ready to have it removed until about the 3rd mo because of breakthrough bleeding and spotting. Seemed like every time I tried to have sex those few mos I would bleed, but now no issues. My period is lighter, but does seem to last a lil longer than normal before.

For those of you that have done the pill and IUD (hormonal) can you tell me if you noticed a decrease in side effects from the IUD.

I am currently on Gildess (the stronger 1.5/30) and i hate it. After I started it, my skin got bad and my libido TANKED. So i want off of it.

My gyn said that people often see much less of those side effects with the hormonal IUD, so just wondering if that's the case for folks on here who have used it.

I am surprised to hear some were told not to take oral contraceptives after surgery. That's never been mentioned to me.