Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake help for taste and smell?

There is a brand called Beverly, it is the only one that I can handle without gagging. It just taste like chocolate milk. I mix one scoop to 8 oz of Water in a mixer bottle with round metal whisk. I drink it when I first get up so I drink it kinda fast. I have spent a small fortune on mixes and this brand is the ONLY one I can handle with my smell and taste gagging issue. Sounds like we are a bit alike. Hope this helps you save some money.post-255575-14446162529917_thumb.jpg(they have lots of flavors)

Edited by grandmaofone

I also have the Beverly UMP and love it. Mixes well and tastes great.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have great news! The fridge trick WORKED! I mixed a scoop of Optimum Nutrition (ON) 100% whey Double Rich chocolate with 6oz of Silk Unsweetened vanilla Soy Milk and left it overnight in the fridge. This morning-no clumps (though this is a high quality powder and dissolves well), no smell and tastes like a rich chocolate milk!

My face is split into a huge grin, because if I couldn't stomach these there would be no way I could sustain the surgery. Definitely going to try other flavored this way but starting the day off right! ????

My NUT said to add a little vanilla or cinnamon to my shade a blend. It's a little better.

Ok, I admit I am a new to this and Protein shakes. I have a strong taste aversion and gag reflex based on smell and taste.

I have done tons of research and purchased Optimum Nutrition 100% whey Protein powder in both Salted Carmel and Double Rich chocolate.

Mixed Carmel with 1% milk (did I mention I don't like milk) but while the taste wasn't horrible the smell killed it for me. I read mixing and letting it sit in the fridge will kill the smell and chalky taste. As well as mixing with Silk soy milk instead.

Anyone have any thought or ideas on how to stomach this stuff?

Mix with Water and slight amount of crushed ice.

shake vigorously. It'll be served cold.

No need for milk.....that's just needed sugar and calories.

I have found that mixing "chocolate Mousse" flavored Bariatric fusion in a weak decaffeinated coffee solution actually tastes pretty good. I drank it full strength pre-op and since I'm just about a week post op, I'm now doing just 1 scoop in 8 oz of weak Decaf coffee. You might have to add just a touch of stevia or something, depending on how you like your "Café Mocha".

Before I get slammed, decaf coffee/tea still retain some diuretic properties, but not nearly as much as regular. My bariatric team was ok with it - considering I'm getting in way more than what I need to fld wise. I also make sure to drink 3 8 oz glasses of milk with the Bariatric Fusion for the added 8 gm of pro each.

Edited by gigito2

I use unsweetened cashew milk in my morning shake and Water in my lunch shake since I am at work.

There is a stark difference between the 2 liquid choices in taste and smell. Using unsweetened cashew milks which I think is 25 calories a cup, adds a malt shake like consistency when blended and gives the a more natural sweet smell vs Water, which I cannot lie smells like baby milk sometimes to me. but i pinch my nose and drink it down.. :)

I know some people are going to slam me but I put a tsp of nestle quick powder in mine and it does a good job of masking. I know after surgery, I will not put the nestle because of the sugar but pre-op it is good. I also put the unflavored mix in egg drop Soup and in my chicken broth and didn't taste it at all.

I've been testing powders and premade drinks so far I like the GNC 100% whey the best flavor in my opinion is the strawberry mixed with lactaid milk and ice in my nutra ninja and it tastes like a milk shake. And I just picked up some EAS advantedge chocolate fudge not bad but I'll be trying others to see if I like them better

So, are you just mixing the powder in a cup with some kind of liquid? That's pretty much guaranteed to be chalky and yucky! Can I ask why you're not using a blender? I put 4-5 ice cubes in the blender along with some vanilla Muscle Milk and a TB of of unsweetened cocoa. Pour 1-2 cups unsweetened almond milk on top and blend for at least a minute. A wonderfully delicious chocolate milk shake. And, if you don't mind a few extra calories, some frozen banana slices make it even creamier. Like another post said, you can also add cinnamon or some kind of extract. I buy the vanilla Muscle Milk so that I can change the flavor easier. You can even add some orange flavoring for an Orange Julius or lime for a key lime pie or strawberry sf extract or????

I have to say, I don't know how some people can stomach the canned Protein shakes. I had a Premier one the other day thinking they would be good for a quick Protein fix when I come home from surgery.....I thought they tasted awful. And the worst part was I didn't feel satisfied after drinking it. It may take a few minutes to make one in the blender but I think they're worth it.

Edited by cbrr

@@Tssiemer1, I like unjury a lot-- not just the taste. I also like that it is low carb and 100% Protein isolate so all the Protein grams advertised are actually absorbed.

As far as the texture goes, do you use a blender?

My fave recipe is to mix Unjury chocolate Splendor, SILK unsweetened soy milk, 2 Tb. malted milk powder + (optional) Sweet N' Low. It tastes very close to a chocolate malt!

nectar Protein is good, get a ten bag sample pack to choose ur flavor, it is working for me, so far i like crystal sky and apple, trying them before surgery and before I buy big containers

@@munc0911 just be careful about buying too much before surgery as your tastes may change or so I've heard