Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks post op and still doing 2 shakes per day

I am in no way able to "eat" all my required Protein per day so I have to do 2 Protein Shakes. I try and space meals and drinks out, but there just isn't enough hours in the day. I'm required 80 gms per day and I always meet that and usually have 90-100 gms.

I have read that a lot of people do at least one shake, per day for 6 months or more ... Just curious on how others handle this ...

It just depends on what you eat. I don't do Breakfast foods because none of it has enough Protein. I can't eat enough eggs hit a meal Protein goal.

My goal is to have about 20g of protein per meal. I can eat 4 fish fillets in a day an accomplish this, hitting around 80g of protein. If I had chicken or turkey I could never make it. I can't eat enough of those. Or I have shrimp or crab. I am sticking to seafood for now because it easier to meet my goals naturally.

Lots of people have shakes though. I have them on occasion if it is near the end of the day and I forgot to eat.

I'm almost two years out and still have one most days.

I'm over 3.5 months post-op and have one in the evening every day (been making them hot-chocolate style lately with the cooler weather). I also add 1/2 a scoop of Protein Powder to my oatmeal at Breakfast every morning.

I am almost 7 months and still do a Protein drink for breakfast every morning. If my daily Protein isnt at my goal I will have another one between dinner and bedtime...

Ok, that makes me feel better !! Thanks ????

It just depends on what you eat. I don't do breakfast foods because none of it has enough Protein. I can't eat enough eggs hit a meal Protein goal.

My goal is to have about 20g of protein per meal. I can eat 4 fish fillets in a day an accomplish this, hitting around 80g of protein. If I had chicken or turkey I could never make it. I can't eat enough of those. Or I have shrimp or crab. I am sticking to seafood for now because it easier to meet my goals naturally.

Lots of people have shakes though. I have them on occasion if it is near the end of the day and I forgot to eat.

I usually eat fish or seafood everyday. It is much easier than poultry. I still can't meet my goal ... In due time I guess ????

Monday through Friday I have a Protein shake for breakfast. On Sat or Sun I may have scrambled eggs, or a shake. It's convenient, and I know I'm getting my Protein in. Sometimes I will have "dinner" for breakfast, so a small turkey burger, etc. I could do more cooking and planning but it's just not my style for breakfast.

Five weeks out and my days are about half "one shake a day" and half "two shakes a day." I eat what I can, but if at the end of the day I haven't made my Protein goal, I have a Syntrax nectar with extra Water to make sure I'm getting hydrated. :-) It's funny, for 3 months before surgery I was doing a Premier Protein Shake for Breakfast, and then many days one for lunch or dinner, and the other meal small Protein stuff. So, basically, I'm eating just like I was the three months *before* surgery. :-)

My NUT and my surgeon are both just fine with supplementing with Protein Shakes, as long as they are low calorie and not being used like extra Snacks. So, I don't do any of that fancy make my own stuff, because it's so easy to make those add up to 300 or 400 calories. If I have met my protein goal, no more shakes.

Five weeks out and my days are about half "one shake a day" and half "two shakes a day." I eat what I can, but if at the end of the day I haven't made my Protein goal, I have a Syntrax nectar with extra Water to make sure I'm getting hydrated. :-) It's funny, for 3 months before surgery I was doing a Premier Protein shake for breakfast, and then many days one for lunch or dinner, and the other meal small Protein stuff. So, basically, I'm eating just like I was the three months *before* surgery. :-)

My NUT and my surgeon are both just fine with supplementing with Protein Shakes, as long as they are low calorie and not being used like extra Snacks. So, I don't do any of that fancy make my own stuff, because it's so easy to make those add up to 300 or 400 calories. If I have met my protein goal, no more shakes.< /p>

Yes, I can see the calories adding up with fancy shakes lol

Mine are 192 calories each because I use 1% milk to mix them, so 1/2 of my daily calories are coming from shakes at this point. It's all I can do ... I get the other 300-400 calories with fish/seafood of some sort and maybe some cheese & yogurt ...

Edited by shellyd67

I've been adding unflavored Protein powder to my Protein shakes, which give me 56 grams of protein at breakfast. I do one half of another for lunch and one for dinner for a total of 112 grams protein. Right now Im still on Water and shakes, so this makes it easy for me to get it all in.

I've been adding unflavored Protein powder to my Protein shakes, which give me 56 grams of protein at breakfast. I do one half of another for lunch and one for dinner for a total of 112 grams protein. Right now Im still on Water and shakes, so this makes it easy for me to get it all in.

My understanding is that the body cannot absorb more than about 30 grams of protein in a meal, and that anything after that is not well-absorbed or digested. Can someone else provide more info about that?

I was watching Dr. Oz (I love him!) this week and he said to aim for 30g per meal. His guest, a weight loss doctor said 25-30g.