Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Anna, married, and the mother of three grown daughters, and one twelve-year-old son. I'm also the grandmother of two. I've been trying to qualify for my surgery for five years, and I finally have a date! October 26th.

When I started out, I needed six months of medically supervised diet. I did that, only to have our insurance change before my surgery could be scheduled. Then the new insurance said my BMI was not high enough without two or more co-morbidities, and I only had one. Then I developed breast cancer and uterine issues. Resolving all that took another two and a half years. I developed the second and third co-morbidites, and managed to stay at the required BMI long enough to qualify. My main purpose for choosing RYGB is to resolve my Type 2 diabetes. The weight loss is a good thing, and will help my arthritis and high blood pressure, but if I can even just achieve a 10-15 year remission, I'll be thrilled.

My husband has been through this, and I was with him every step of the way. His results were great at first, then he had some weight gain. That makes me nervous--I don't want to go through this only to regain weight, but he assures me I have more resolve than he. (I'm not so sure of that.)

I'll be honest. The surgery itself doesn't scare me (not after everything I've been through), it's the post-op life. I wonder what that will all be like, how well I'll negotiate it, what the changes will be like. I've always been overweight. The goal they have me at was my weight in junior high school. I don't even remember what it looked like. I'm afraid of dumping, Constipation, etc.

My family and friends expect me to be tough--just like I've been in the past--but well, let's just say we'll see how tough I really am. I feel like a marshmallow on the inside.

Am I the only one who is thinking about all the things I'll never eat again? And how silly that is? I'm supposed to be thinking about all the advantages I'll have. Anyway, I'm looking forward to talking with folks who are going through this as well.

Anna

So many of the terrible foods that got us to our high weights are not only basically poisonous to our bodies, but also highly addictive. It's not silly or odd at all the be thinking/anxious about the great changes you will have to go through to be healthy after surgery. A lot of people choose to forgo these foods forever, if they can, because of their addictive and damaging nature. While I will probably be doing that (my resolution is to never eat Pasta again if I can help it) there will come a time after you have healed completely that the RARE treat wont kill you. Is it a good idea to just never eat these foods again? Probably. Is it the only choice you have forever? No, not by any means.

You seem like a strong woman who has been through absolute hell and made it out kicking and fighting. These worries are normal, and it would be odd if you didn't think about these things. But you've worked so hard to get here, and I have this strong feeling that the things that have harmed you in terms of your food habits and weight aren't going to beat you any more than cancer or any of the other monsters you have already fought with and emerged from, victorious.

Another piece of good news is once you've done the pre-op diet, had surgery, and spent a couple weeks unable to eat any of the bad stuff, your body will no longer crave it the way it does now. I sometimes miss some of my old comfort foods (like ramen noodles and mac and cheese) but the strength of my cravings pales compared to the joy I feel as I melt and my health issues reverse. I wouldn't trade these 36 pounds I've lost so far since surgery for all the ramen and mac and cheese in the world, and now I have the tools to say no to the food that once held me hostage physically, mentally, and emotionally.

We're glad you're here, and we will be here to support you, commiserate, and Celebrate with you every step of the way. I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to message me or friend me any time.

Abby :)

Welcome and good luck on your upcoming surgery. Let us know if you have any questions or need any help.

AnnainOK, Very pleased to meet you! I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I'm just beginning this journey. I have one of the six Nutritional visits under my belt...looking forward to number two!!

I am also Type 2 diabetic; been battling diabetes for at least 20 years now, and I'm on an insulin pump and still having great difficulty in controlling my numbers. I've given up quite a bit of carbs other than vegetables, I don't eat fruit, I don't drink milk, I don't drink any type of surgery drink, I don't eat Pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread. I still can't control my numbers. My diabetes has started damaging my kidney's. This is my last chance to control this and stop damage to my internal organs. I've always been rather against this because first off, it is quite a deal to lose weight, and secondly because I guess I felt like if I did WLS I was a total loser because I couldn't do it on my own. I've been trying for the past 3 years to lose weight, and because of the insulin use, I've continued to gain. So here I am.

I have more than one co-morbidity as well. I've also got sleep apnea, high cholesterol and tryglicerides, metabolic syndrome. The only thing going well for me is my blood pressure. It's always been good. Nothing else has been though. I am still quite a ways off from surgery, but I'm ready to do this. I'm afraid and scared, but I figure all these great people who have been successful will lend their words or support.

I hope everything works out well for you. I'm envious that you are a few weeks from your surgery! How exciting! Stay in contact. I'd be happy to be considered one of your friends here.

Thank you for replying!

Sometimes I feel silly for looking for support--my problems seem small compared to many of you. I've been open with my friends about having the surgery, and most of them say "But you don't NEED it! I don't think you're that big!" Well, at my 5'6" large frame, I can carry a lot of weight, and I've done it, as I said, all my life. While I don't have sleep apnea, or high cholesterol/triglycerides, I do have the Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis...and my lower back is an assortment of ruptured disks and the site of my arthritis.

I'm only on Metformin. My A1C is currently within normal limits. I want to keep it there, but I know it would only get tougher with age. I kept thinking I could keep my weight down on my own, but when I went to the back doctor after losing 60 pounds, and he said "You need to lose thirty pounds--and a hundred wouldn't hurt", I knew I couldn't do it by diet alone. I exercise daily, but the hours I would have to spend to begin to get there...sheesh! I got down to 200 once about six years ago, and it took three to four hours a day in the gym. I don't have that kind of time...and it wears on your body to do that as well.

My son is my heart. He stayed by my side through all the other surgery. He's not thrilled that I'm going through more, but I keep reminding him that this one is for us--for our chance to be together for a lot of years to come. I'm also attempting to inspire him in his Quest to learn to swim (he has some fear of Water, but needs to learn to continue ranking up as a Boy Scout).

We have a goal, to hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail in 2017, then the Pacific Crest. I can hike five miles or so at a time now, but it takes its toll. I keep telling myself all these things, over and over again.

I can use all the friends I can get! :)

What I haven't mentioned is that I'm also 55 years old. I had my son at 43--and I'm determined not to have his support be limited by having an older mom...so I suck it up (but sometimes I go have a good cry in the bathroom.)

You can do this, just like you've handled all the other upheavals in your life. And you've got such a wonderful healthy future awaiting you. I'm two months out from my RNY, and I can tell you unequivocally that everything I gave up in no way compares to what I've already gained, even this early out.

Yes, at first it's tough giving up all your past unhealthy foods, but it's really all in your head. It's a mental battle, that gets easier to fight day by day. The stronger you are mentally, the stronger your body becomes physically. It's a wonderful thing and I have zero regrets. I believe you will too in the end.

Best of luck!

AnninOK, I'm 53 yrs old, and although I don't have young children, my daughters are 23 and 21 respectively. I want to be around to see them get married and have children. I want to be a Grandma, and I want to be one that is active and able to keep up (somewhat) with the kids. I've always been an active person, but with the additional weight I've become much more sedentary because I tire much more easily than I used to, and the weight just is uncomfortable. I can't do really aerobic exercises, like Zumba or Jazzercise, right now because it stresses my body too much and plays hell on the whole cortisol release. I have given up lots of foods already because of the diabetes, and my A1C is horrible right now. I really need to do this, and I'm afraid and scared, even though I know it won't be as horrible as I think it will be.

So many of the terrible foods that got us to our high weights are not only basically poisonous to our bodies, but also highly addictive. It's not silly or odd at all the be thinking/anxious about the great changes you will have to go through to be healthy after surgery. A lot of people choose to forgo these foods forever, if they can, because of their addictive and damaging nature. While I will probably be doing that (my resolution is to never eat Pasta again if I can help it) there will come a time after you have healed completely that the RARE treat wont kill you. Is it a good idea to just never eat these foods again? Probably. Is it the only choice you have forever? No, not by any means.

You seem like a strong woman who has been through absolute hell and made it out kicking and fighting. These worries are normal, and it would be odd if you didn't think about these things. But you've worked so hard to get here, and I have this strong feeling that the things that have harmed you in terms of your food habits and weight aren't going to beat you any more than cancer or any of the other monsters you have already fought with and emerged from, victorious.

Another piece of good news is once you've done the pre-op diet, had surgery, and spent a couple weeks unable to eat any of the bad stuff, your body will no longer crave it the way it does now. I sometimes miss some of my old comfort foods (like ramen noodles and mac and cheese) but the strength of my cravings pales compared to the joy I feel as I melt and my health issues reverse. I wouldn't trade these 36 pounds I've lost so far since surgery for all the ramen and mac and cheese in the world, and now I have the tools to say no to the food that once held me hostage physically, mentally, and emotionally.

We're glad you're here, and we will be here to support you, commiserate, and Celebrate with you every step of the way. I wish you the best of luck! Feel free to message me or friend me any time.

Abby :)

What an amazing message to all of us starting this crazy road! Thank you!!