Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there! I will be having bariatric surgery in December of this year. I have a BMI of 54. My surgeon of course wants to do bypass. He said he would do the sleeve on me because I have no current comorbities. I'm nervous about bypass and pregnamcy. My husband and I haven't had children get and wanted to wait until after surgery. Does anyone have any advice? Personal stories they want to share about why they made the decision they made?

In my opinion, if you don't have acid reflux OR diabetes, they are both probably good choices. If you have those condistions, current evidence is that bypass is a better choice.

My BMI was 52 when i revised to the sleeve and I have gotten to a normal weight/size and maintained for a few years now.

The challenge in making this decision is that the sleeve has been around along time but not well studied for LONG term results. It appears to work "about" as well as the bypass, but the long term data just isn't there. At a high BMI, many surgeons nudge you toward the bypass because there is a clearer, well documented long term results history documented.

I had my own reasons for choosing the sleeve and I think some of it was my bias against the bypass based on personal experience. I have known 3 bypass patients close enough to see them from pre surgery, through maintenance and they all "Scared me"

1. Died. but to be honest, she died because she was a diabetic who became an alcoholic drug addict after losing all that weight. It was absolutely terrible - in her 40s and died in her sleep. This was about 10 years ago. Lets be honest, that had nothing to do with bypass vs sleeve.

2. Horrible horrible recovery. But, this was mid 1990s. It only recently occured to me that her surgery was "open" not laproscopic. At the time, I thought the horrible recovery was due to the "rerouting" but I bet it had more to do with it being open surgery

3. The surgery and weight loss really aged her. She looked terrible post weight loss and never got to a normal weight. Again, to be fair, I don't know the reasons. This is someone I worked with about 5-6 years ago. She may have had other health problems and frankly most bypass patients I have seen pictures of or have met since then look great.

I recognize my own biases and my views have changed.

Now, 4 years post sleeve I tell everyone that I think they are both good procedures. I think they are both excellent choices versus remaining morbidly obese and suffering the increasing health issues over time. The bypass has more documented history, many more studies, and resolves reflux problems. Sleeve has been amazing for me, and many others too... but there are no 20 year studies either.

I went with the Sleeve because it was the least invasive. No rerouting of my intestines.

But it is slightly more difficult to lose weight as opposed to the Bypass - I've lost and kept off 160lbs for 3 years.

With the Bypass, intestines are rerouted and food isn't absorbed as well afterwards and taking a Multivitamin for life is necessary.

BUT having said that, I know 3 ladies that are 3, 5 and 11 years post-op Bypass and have lost the weight and kept it off.

We are all very happy with our results.

I don't think you can go wrong with either surgery.

I would go with my doctor's recommendation, he's in the best position to advise you.

Get my free eBook - The Top 10 WLS Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

I am 29 months post-op from RNY gastric bypass surgery. I had severe acid reflux (Gerd) prior to surgery and that is why I went that route. I lost my weight very quickly in about 6 or 7 months. From what I read WLS (weight loss surgery) will make you more fertile. Generally they recommend that you do not get pregnant after surgery until at least 12-18 months following surgery. Low caloric intake cannot support a pregnancy.

I am 12 months RNY post op. I planned to have the sleeve but my surgeon recommended bypass given I had severe Gerd, diabetes and a few other comorbitities. My surgeon recommended bypass because it can cure both reflux/Gerd as well as diabetes.

For me, both of these diseases are gone and 121lbs to boot! It is the best thing I ever did for myself.

It was done laporascopically, and I have had no complications. I have met many people who have had both the bypass and the sleeve and are happy with their choices. Some have had no complications others have had minimal complications.

I am also of the opinion that both have their own risks and both are equally invasive. Bypass, your intestines are rerouted which provides you with malabsorption which helps your weight loss and is designed to do so. Sleeve, 80 percent of your stomach is permanently removed which also removes the hunger hormone permanently, obviously a huge plus.

Both equally invasive.

Definately do your research and better understand why your doctor is recommending bypass. There is usually a very good reason for one vs. the other.

Good luck to you!

My BMI is 53. I am 36 with no comorbidities or other health problems. My surgeon said he would so the sleeve or the bypass, whichever I was more comfortable with. I have selected the sleeve. It is less invasive, and there are lower rates of complications. My twin sister had the bypass (open! 14" incision!) 17 years ago and said she would do it again tomorrow. Surgeon said stats show that patients lose and keep off more of their excess weight with the bypass, but he has plenty who have lost all of their excess weight with the sleeve. I think its just a little harder, since it's only restrictive and not restrictive AND malabsorbtive. He said the only time he really strongly recommends the bypass is for a high-BMI patient who also has diabetes. Apparently the studies show much better cute rates for diabetes with the bypass.

I also want to get pregnant (I have a 3 year old). My OB said I could probably start trying 6 months after surgery. Apparently the risk is to mom, not so much baby. I lost 65 pounds in the last 7 months of my pregnancy with my daughter - I can't imagine I'll be eating less after surgery than I did with her. I was realllllly sick.

From what I was told you can star trying to get pregnant about 18 months after surgery or once your weight has stabilized,

as far as which surgery that's really between you and your surgeon. But I was told that the weight loss is pretty much the same with either but I chose the sleeve. First of all I didn't like the idea of with bypass that they leave your cut off stomach "flopping" around inside of you. I liked that they removed the portion of your stomach with the sleeve. Second, I liked that with the sleeve it gave you the option of eating better, you can eat mostly what you want just small portions (and of course stay with healthy foods)

As with many others I chose the sleeve because I wanted to avoid intestinal rerouting. Considering your lack of comorbidities and wanting to get pregnant I would highly recommend it. In my opinion, having a surgery that will cause malabsorption followed by a pregnancy would be an added strain on the body. Good Luck in whatever surgery you choose.