Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i have been ready and also was told that i will no longer be able to have caffine. i dont really drink soda now as it is. if i do drink soda it is caffine free anyways,but my unsweet tea is not. i was born and raised in the south so ice tea is a staple. so what is the deal with caffine and the weight loss surgery.....

I'm a southern girl too! I live on coffee, ice tea, and water! I don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm done all the pre stuff! I'm interested too about caffeine!

My disclaimer is that I have not been told specifically by my doctor or NUT why it is bad. But I have some ideas.

Caffeine is a diuretic (although a mild one), and after surgery one of the things we are trying to do is get our Water in, not out. :) Seriously, we are constantly working to avoid dehydration and to get in our 64oz of fluids a day.

Caffeine is a stimulant, and increases hunger. Not something you want to have if you are trying to lose weight.

Maybe there are other reasons, but those are two that come to mind.

Remember the surgery is a tool, not a magic bullet for weight loss. After surgery, you will have to stick with a new way of eating to lose weight, and for the rest of your life. It will not be magic; you will still probably have cravings that you will have to deal with. Anything that increases or stimulates your hunger will simply make things harder on you.

I would seriously try to find caffeine-free alternatives, such as caffeine-free tea. You should not be drinking any soda (or other carbonated beverage) after surgery, caffeine-free or not, since the gas expands in your pouch and could stretch it or at the very least cause you extreme pain.

I know I can't have the soda after the surgery. I may have 3 sodas a month.. That won't be hard to kick.

I have been told I am clear to have caffeine after three months post op. My surgeon told me that it had a lot to do with the fact that caffeine can irritate the stomach. While your new stomach is trying to heal, it is best not to put anything in it that will be an irritant.

That in addition to what Toasty had mentioned about dehydration and it being a stimulate.

On the bright side; I too am an unsweetened black ice tea drinker and have found Decaf to be just as refreshing. I make sun tea with a few tea bags and drink about 24-30 ounces a day, making up half of my daily Fluid intake. And if Sweet Tea is an issue, add Splenda to the decaf ice tea and it should soothe any "cravings."

Also, there are a TON of decaf flavored teas that don't have sweeteners and taste yummy.

@@Ashlegal Thanks, that's good to know. I have always loved sun tea and I would like to try it with Decaf tea.

My biggest concern is when going out to restaurants. When I was pre-op I stopped drinking carbonated beverages, so I started to have iced tea. My wife likes going to a hamburger place called "The Habit". They have a chicken salad there that I think would be great (assuming I can tolerate salad, we'll see). However, I usually get their "Mango Ice Tea" (unsweetened), but I am sure that it is not decaf. I'll probably end up having to stick with Water.

When going out to restaurants, I can't think of what I can have to drink other than Water. They generally don't have many non-sugar, non-carbonated, decaf drinks other than water. Maybe bring my own small packet of crystal light? :)

@@Ashlegal I have actually drank the caffeine free tea. I didn't taste a difference at all between the two. I could careless a out a soda. I like my Fruit drinks. I honestly don't mind switching either. I did a lil more research after about the caffeine and stomach relations and I did read it can irritate the stomach. I had forgotten all about it doing that. I had my gallbladder removed 5 1/2 years ago and learn real fast and in a hurry the coffee was like hell on the stomach and in no time I was in the bathroom. so if it can do that to me i don't want to find out what it could do after a new so to say stomach is made. but my promise i am making for myself after the surgery is no more soda and little caffeine as possible. i cut back on it and made it this long without it and will have to eliminate it for the best, why should i start back drinking it.

@@toasty most of the teas like that are made from a caffeine free tea or herbal blend, but to know for sure i would ask. i love mangos and mango teas. i drink lots of herbal teas now and will have black tea just to change the palate a little. don't want to get tired of them. plus they are good for you because of the herbal mix in them and if you can drink them unsweet they are even better. if not a small amount of honey is amazing.

i cant use the artificial sweetners due to horrible Migraines they cause. so it is either unsweet or honey sweetened. thank you both for all the info.

Honestly, I haven't been doing much with herbal teas lately, and I should. It would give me some variety. Thanks for suggesting it!

@@toasty i have found that some of the tastiest herbal teas i have found are from a place called teavanna. they have a great selection and you can go to the website and purchase teas. also starbucks has their teas.

I was worried about what to drink at restaurants then i realized i am not supposed to drink and eat. So no problem

Gadzooks! You're right! Boy oh boy, I'm still learning how to eat and drink in this new life! :)

My NUT said not to drink anything 30 min before or 30 min after eating!

It still amazes me how much we get varied information based on the program you are in. I haven't had my pre-surgery seminar where we get all the ins and outs of post op, BUT I have seen my nutritionist for 3 months and she told me there is no reason why I can't have caffeine post bypass. Granted I only drink 1 espresso with milk (cafe con leche/ latte) in the morning. She said the milk would count as part of my liquids for the day and the caffeine wouldn't be a problem.I'm curious to see what they tell me in the class.

I'm VERY happy that I gave up my Coke addiction 2 years ago. I was having a 2-liter a day and I quit cold turkey....wasn't pretty but I did it.

It still amazes me how much we get varied information based on the program you are in. I haven't had my pre-surgery seminar where we get all the ins and outs of post op, BUT I have seen my nutritionist for 3 months and she told me there is no reason why I can't have caffeine post bypass. Granted I only drink 1 espresso with milk (cafe con leche/ latte) in the morning. She said the milk would count as part of my liquids for the day and the caffeine wouldn't be a problem.I'm curious to see what they tell me in the class.

I'm VERY happy that I gave up my Coke addiction 2 years ago. I was having a 2-liter a day and I quit cold turkey....wasn't pretty but I did it.

You may want to check with your surgeon. A nut is not required to know what you can and cannot do post surgery but your surgeon will give you accurate information. Most people on here have stated that their surgeon told them no caffeine for at least three to sometimes six months. I wouldn't want you to sabotage your surgery by getting off on the wrong foot. Accurate knowledge is power.

Absolutely follow your NUT/surgeon recommendations regarding coffee/caffeine post-surgery. However, I've also noticed how varied recommendations are. Some say it is fine right after surgery, some say X number of months, some say never. After scouring the internet, one thing I've noticed is those surgeons that allow it at some point rarely state how much coffee is acceptable. Just my opinion, but I think there's a big difference between a post-op patient that drinks 1 morning cup versus someone who has 3-4 cups (or more) through out the day. I would bet there is minimal stimulant/diuretic effect for a person like myself that likes to drinks 12 oz of coffee in the morning. Of course due to all of the variation in opinions, I've abstained from coffee since before my pre-op diet.