Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post-op. Just ate two slices of pizza.

We ALL have various challenges during this journey. This may be yours. I think to answer your questions a lot of post op patients can eat the foods you listed. Initially I felt as you seem to feel. I got this major surgery and I can eat whatever I want woah!? Well I knew then I had a choice. I knew that this is life or death. Do I want to add years to my life and enjoy my family and friends or will I sacrifice them for this comfort food? It sounds horribly drastic but that's how the ball started rolling for me. I forced myself to start walking.. Every day.. Now I am at 2 to 3 miles a day. Which for me has helped a lot. I didn't want this surgery to be in vain and I know you don't either. So we were wrong about our expectations but you just have to readjust and decide if that pizza is worth it and give your new stomach a chance to show itself. You can do this. This pizza doesn't have to define the future of your journey. It isn't to late. Find a weight loss buddy to text. When those urges kick in lean on that buddy.

I'm confused as to why you would be testing how much you can tolerate eating after only 3 months???

As someone who is 1 week post op and also had to pay out of pocket because my insurance sucks, you aren't taking the surgery or weight loss seriously at all.

Having surgery wasn't supposed to be like taking a "magic pill" and suddenly the weight problems and eating addition is gone.

You accused someone of not being helpful on this forum because they told you the truth. I'd much rather come to these forums to have people to talk to that are honest as opposed to someone such as yourself who doesn't seem to care about taking the surgery seriously. You have to work at losing weight and changing your life. I personally don't think you should have had surgery if your thought process is that you should just be able to go back to eating all the same things you did before, just less!

Do some research and realize that with your mental attitude you're right, you will be in the percentage that gain the weight back

I am a little disappointed reading some of these replies. I think a few of the responses have been judgemental and a lot of assuming going on. There is a difference between support, tough love and unwanted criticism. I don't think all of you have malice in your hearts but, to this OP I bet she is feeling attacked and not all understood. This is a process and we all are at different stages. While we are adults and sugarcoating is not something any of us need I think a little less of the jumping in to only repeat an unpopular and potentially very hurtful response is just not necessary.

Oh this makes me sad Please don't let old habits sabotage the tool you've been given. I can eat like a champ if I wanted to at almost 5 months out but I dont. I can't go back to the unhealthy person I was. Get back to weighing portions, healthier options and it will start coming off. It's not too late and positivity is number one. I believe in you!!

@@gbveteran4d I don't think you asked this question to be personally attacked. However, it seems you may have opened up a can of worms. That being said, I'll just share with you what we discussed in our monthly meeting this past Monday. Our meeting was comprised of post-ops from 5 weeks to 11 months out. Our psychologist is the one who runs the meeting and she's wonderful. She wrote on the board "food Quality"! We all had our surgery at mayo. We all attended the same pre-op classes. We all were given the exact same booklet which I've posted pages from on this forum with what to eat at each stage of this process. Some of us read and studied the guidelines and some did not. Page 14 (shown here) is very specific when it states "Avoid these foods permanently: carbonated beverages, tough meats or meats with gristle, fried foods, crusty or doughy breads." Well a man in the meeting who's 3 months post-op proudly stated "I ate 2 slices of pizza (doughy bread) and a diet Coke yesterday and I was just fine. Why before my surgery I could eat a whole pizza". The Dr. didn't make a face, wasn't judgmental, but simply asked him his opinion on the food's quality. He didn't have an answer. This same man was in a wheelchair prior to WLS. Some people just don't get it. I don't think you're one of those people. I think you may be pushing the envelope because you don't believe in your heart of hearts that this tool you've been given will actually work for you. I told very few people I was having gastric bypass because I felt that way myself. I honestly thought, it will work for everyone else, but not me. It will just be another one of my diet failures. After all, that's what's always happened to me in the past. Then I finally listened to what we were being taught ... this isn't brain surgery, it's gut surgery. If we're not willing to change what we put into our mouths, we will fail once again. It's just that simple. That's why Mayo no longer performs lap band surgery because they found simply restricting food intake doesn't produce long term success. I made a vow to myself that I would do everything in my power to find and tweek recipes so I could enjoy the foods I love but with Bariatric compliant recipes. So far, so good, especially with my pizza (crust is made with ground chicken breast, is high Protein and tastes amazing). For the first time in 25+ years I feel there's hope for me. I encourage you to seek help and find your answer. Definitely NO judgement from me, only support and positivity because YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!

post-236324-0-15854700-1444797462_thumb.jpg

The surgery you got is not a therapist. It will not stop your food addiction. You can definitely sabotage it. It was meant as a tool to help you lose weight, but it still requires hard work on our part. We have to change our pattern of eating. I was taught that 1/2 of the meal should be Protein, 1/4 fruits/vegetables, and if you can still eat, the final 1/4 should be whole-grain or complex carbs. Although having 1 (one) slice of pizza every once in a while won't kill you, making a habit of having that or other such foods (such as hamburgers) will stop or reverse your weight loss.

Grazing (eating small amounts throughout the day) will also sabotage your weight loss. Drinking high-calorie beverages will also sabotage your weight loss. Both of these habits get around your surgical restrictions.

For your food addiction, you should definitely see a therapist. Group therapy might work as well.

Your weight loss is up to you, not the surgery. It was not a magic bullet to lose weight.

I wish I could give you a high five. This is the kind of stuff us newbies need to read. I haven't even had surgery yet but am so thankful to read the tough love and honesty that you provide. Thank you @toasty.

@@gbveteran4d I don't think you asked this question to be personally attacked. However, it seems you may have opened up a can of worms. That being said, I'll just share with you what we discussed in our monthly meeting this past Monday. Our meeting was comprised of post-ops from 5 weeks to 11 months out. Our psychologist is the one who runs the meeting and she's wonderful. She wrote on the board "food Quality"! We all had our surgery at mayo. We all attended the same pre-op classes. We all were given the exact same booklet which I've posted pages from on this forum with what to eat at each stage of this process. Some of us read and studied the guidelines and some did not. Page 14 (shown here) is very specific when it states "Avoid these foods permanently: carbonated beverages, tough meats or meats with gristle, fried foods, crusty or doughy breads." Well a man in the meeting who's 3 months post-op proudly stated "I ate 2 slices of pizza (doughy bread) and a diet Coke yesterday and I was just fine. Why before my surgery I could eat a whole pizza". The Dr. didn't make a face, wasn't judgmental, but simply asked him his opinion on the food's quality. He didn't have an answer. This same man was in a wheelchair prior to WLS. Some people just don't get it. I don't think you're one of those people. I think you may be pushing the envelope because you don't believe in your heart of hearts that this tool you've been given will actually work for you. I told very few people I was having gastric bypass because I felt that way myself. I honestly thought, it will work for everyone else, but not me. It will just be another one of my diet failures. After all, that's what's always happened to me in the past. Then I finally listened to what we were being taught ... this isn't brain surgery, it's gut surgery. If we're not willing to change what we put into our mouths, we will fail once again. It's just that simple. That's why Mayo no longer performs lap band surgery because they found simply restricting food intake doesn't produce long term success. I made a vow to myself that I would do everything in my power to find and tweek recipes so I could enjoy the foods I love but with Bariatric compliant recipes. So far, so good, especially with my pizza (crust is made with ground chicken breast, is high Protein and tastes amazing). For the first time in 25+ years I feel there's hope for me. I encourage you to seek help and find your answer. Definitely NO judgement from me, only support and positivity because YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!

ahhhhh! This got me teary!

"I told very few people I was having gastric bypass because I felt that way myself. I honestly thought, it will work for everyone else, but not me. It will just be another one of my diet failures. After all, that's what's always happened to me in the past. " - I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has had these thoughts. But I am determined to make it work.

@gbveteran4d - you can do it! Please believe in yourself and know you have the power to do it!

I'm 2 year almost 3 post op from the sleeve and about 3 1/2 weeks out from the gastric bypass. Even before the bypass I couldn't even eat all the toppings off one slice of pizza. I couldn't imagine eating 2 slices.

I am about 3 weeks out about to be able to eat soft foods. My nutritionist told me no grains until I reach my goal weight because they fight against the weight loss process. We all need to be in therapy because food is an issue otherwise we would have control of it. I believe that one day we will have that control :)