Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post-op. Just ate two slices of pizza.

I'm 3 months post op.

My first month was ok.

My 2nd month I spent vomiting after every meal.

My 3rd month... I was able to eat pretty much everything.

Now I'm 3 months and one day out.... Obviously I'm not making great food choices, but I had hoped the surgery would have physically limited what I was able to eat, in order to help me mentally get used to not eating poorly and help break my food addiction. The physical limitations only lasted 7 or 8 weeks. I never thought I'd be able to eat two slices of pizza 3 months after having a gastric bypass. Maybe my expectations were way off, but this is surprising based on what I'd read and heard.

So while I eat less now (Before I could have eaten 6-8 slices of pizza), I have basically stopped losing weight and can eat the same food I did before surgery.

I've lost about 33 pounds since my surgery. Most of that in the first month. (I also lost 22 lbs before my surgery).

Was everyone else able to eat meat, rice, pizza, Pasta, etc etc this early in their recovery? I'm fairly certain I'll be the 20% of people who just gain all the weight back and don't lose much to start with. I cant imagine going through such a crazy surgery just to lose 30lbs.

I probably can, but I don't. I don't try to push the envelope at all. I'm in my 50's and have gained and lost hundreds of pounds over the course of my adult life. This is my last chance. I'll do whatever I can not to fail at this - especially given all the hassle and expense of surgery.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

"Was everyone else able to eat meat, rice, pizza, Pasta, etc etc this early in their recovery?" Yes I can eat meat: chicken, fish, steak pork. But I limit what I eat-- obviously eating the same amount of any of those that I ate before surgery is counter intuitive. Can I eat pizza/pasta- I don't know. I've eaten those things for 38ish years of my life and they are not going anywhere. They can wait till I reach my goal...and maybe by then i won't want it. This method is so much a bout self-discipline!!

" I'm fairly certain I'll be the 20% of people who just gain all the weight back and don't lose much to start with." This is a self-defeating thought. If you come out of the gate not believing you can, then that's what you will do.

I've been told to not eat white flour or white sugar. pizza and Pasta is made with flour. You MUST stay away from it. yes, we CAN physically eat it and not get sick (some of us anyway). But we can't and don't. When I DO eat pizza, I just eat the toppings but also make sure that chicken is a topping.

I keep wanting to type "why are you doing this to yourself" but I have to keep stopping myself because I also occasionally eat things that are bad for me. But when I do, I don't lose weight. Do you want to lose weight? If you do, then you have to change the way you THINK about food and they way you EAT food.< /p>

You need to start attending support groups as well as find a therapist to work with. This is not easy so any help is good help. BAsically, you are most likely a food addict, as most of us are. Once you (and me, too) learn how to be a recovering food addict, like will be better.

But you have to start making better choices. It doesn't matter if you can eat 2 slices of pizza. You just shouldn't. Of course, if you try to use the new recipe that uses cauliflower to make the crust, well, have at it! lol. Google the recipe--I have heard it is great.

Best of luck and keep us posted. And continue to keep a food log and be true with it.

At the three month mark, you should be able to get a substantial amount of Protein from your meals if you concentrate on high Protein meals. As a result you can reduce the amount of protein supplements (Protein shakes and protein bars) that you need to consume to meet your protein requirements. This will drop your total calories and hopefully get you dropping weight again.

The surgery you got is not a therapist. It will not stop your food addiction. You can definitely sabotage it. It was meant as a tool to help you lose weight, but it still requires hard work on our part. We have to change our pattern of eating. I was taught that 1/2 of the meal should be Protein, 1/4 fruits/vegetables, and if you can still eat, the final 1/4 should be whole-grain or complex carbs. Although having 1 (one) slice of pizza every once in a while won't kill you, making a habit of having that or other such foods (such as hamburgers) will stop or reverse your weight loss.

Grazing (eating small amounts throughout the day) will also sabotage your weight loss. Drinking high-calorie beverages will also sabotage your weight loss. Both of these habits get around your surgical restrictions.

For your food addiction, you should definitely see a therapist. Group therapy might work as well.

Your weight loss is up to you, not the surgery. It was not a magic bullet to lose weight.

I eat everything, but I try to eat small, well chewed bites slowly. My PA recommends 1 bite per minute. It allows your stomach time to tell your brain you are full. It also helps you to stay full for 5 1/2 hours so that you avoid wanting to snack. If you are trying to eat as much as possible, you will never reach your goal. You may need to see a counsellor in order to overcome whatever is getting in your way.

@@toasty You are the least helpful person on this forum. Please stop replying to all of my posts with input such as, "Eat healthier. Surgery isn't a magic bullet." Everyone who got the surgery knows both of these things. My question was about what peoples limitations were, since most of what I've heard from surgery patients was that they weren't able to consume these types/quantities of foods early on.

If you are only going to reply "Eat better" just stop replying to me.

Edited by gbveteran4d

Thank you for your comment. As I mentioned in the post, I'm definitely a food addict. I'm attending group sessions for that.

The main point of this post was just to see how quickly those physical limitations went away, because let's be honest, if it weren't for the physical limitations nobody would get the surgery, we'd all just use the "advice" of eating better and getting therapy.

It seems some people have their stomachs/appetite/tolerance altered greatly, and others are quickly able to eat the same foods. I was hoping the surgery would have impacted me the way it has to others.

I've been told to not eat white flour or white sugar. pizza and Pasta is made with flour. You MUST stay away from it. yes, we CAN physically eat it and not get sick (some of us anyway). But we can't and don't. When I DO eat pizza, I just eat the toppings but also make sure that chicken is a topping.

I keep wanting to type "why are you doing this to yourself" but I have to keep stopping myself because I also occasionally eat things that are bad for me. But when I do, I don't lose weight. Do you want to lose weight? If you do, then you have to change the way you THINK about food and they way you EAT food.

You need to start attending support groups as well as find a therapist to work with. This is not easy so any help is good help. BAsically, you are most likely a food addict, as most of us are. Once you (and me, too) learn how to be a recovering food addict, like will be better.

But you have to start making better choices. It doesn't matter if you can eat 2 slices of pizza. You just shouldn't. Of course, if you try to use the new recipe that uses cauliflower to make the crust, well, have at it! lol. Google the recipe--I have heard it is great.

Best of luck and keep us posted. And continue to keep a food log and be true with it.

Edited by gbveteran4d

If you can eat two slices of pizza......you could also probably eat 4 cream filled doughnuts......or 2 candy bars......or a heap of ice cream......

We all have the opportunity to sabotage our weight loss results no matter what type of surgery we elect to have or not have.

@@toasty spoke the truth. And he wrote it in a very kind and non condescending way. It in no way comes across as "unhelpful" or should have warranted a negative response in turn.

if you are trying to test yourself to see how much you can eat of this or that(pizza) well keep at it as you probably will gain weight or at the least not lose any more. pizza should be a once in a blue moon food. Sorry to burst your bubble but those who are successful at weight loss and maintaining it probably verrrry rarely eat foods that are bad food choices or as one poster stated make a cauliflower pizza or another healthy alternative. Now if you are game go see how much ice cream you can eat in one sitting; I'll bet it's ALOT!!

I find some of the responses on this forum hilarious. All these fat or formerly fat people saying "you need to eat better! No carbs! Eat only Protein. Drink 900 oz of Water bc you're confusing thirst with hunger"

Why did you all get this surgery in the first place? If you were so good at watching everything you put in your mouth and controlling your portions and carbs you wouldn't have needed this surgery. The whole point of getting bypass is that diet and exercise alone don't work for 98% of people.

I eat all the same stuff I did before surgery but way less. I have had pizza a bunch. I've had burgers, fries, tacos, nachos, cake, etc. I am losing weight because I can eat very little of this stuff and am still tracking my calories.

Is this a good thing? Hell no. Most of the time I still have to try so hard to be mindful of what I eat, to focus on Protein and then veggies and limiting my carbs. Nothing about my taste changed after surgery. It wasn't some magic thing that made me only want to eat chicken breast and kale. It appears that it worked that way for a lot of people on this forum but not me.

The only halfway decent advice here is to get a therapist. I plan to do this because I know that if I don't learn to deal with my cravings and food addiction, even if I lose all the weight with this surgery, I'll someday put it back on.

So I'd recommend doing that and in the meantime, try to ignore the plethora of lame advice on this forum. Don't get me wrong - this place is great for some things but you have to wade through a lot of self righteous and misguided advice to find it.