Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like I'm not getting enough

This is my first ever post. I'm 5 days post op, doing fine pain wise, but worried about my intakes. I have lost about 15 pounds in not even a week. I strive to get Protein and my vitiamins in, but I either gag or the smells kill me. Of course it's painful to get down as well. Has anyone else been here?

It's very early for you and at 5 days post op, that pretty normal in my opinion. You will slowlybuild up to all your Protein, and Fluid requirements. My surgeons office really drilled into my head to sip, sip, sip all day long. Dehydration will land you back in the hospital. Each day, you will be able to drink more and get more protein in, etc. It is a process for sure. I felt like I had a full time job in the beginning. I am 6 weeks post op and I finally have a good systemdown for myself which makes life seem normal.

I couldn't get anything down for like the first 3 days - even Water was a struggle I was so swollen. I ended up on sugar free popsicles to keep from getting dehydrated. The cold helped reduce the swelling and got the liquid I needed in.

Concentrate on the water/liquids right now. Sip constantly. If you can manage some bullion, get that down too (LOVED chicken bullion for like the first 10 days after the swelling went down).

Don't worry about Protein intakes for at least a week or so, unless you can start getting them in earlier. But don't push it. Throwing up or causing pain is NOT the goal here. ;)

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Very normal, OP. Please don't fret. Savor the weight loss, and when you can tolerate some Clear Liquids other than Water, go for it. While I don't think you should rush this, you should start getting the clear liquid Protein Shakes in as soon as you feel you can tolerate them. This will help your healing.

Slow and steady. You have to work up to meeting your Protein goals. Try breaking up the times you take your Vitamins. You need them to heal, but taking too many together can cause nausea.

Thank you all so much for your fast replies! I admit, I was a little scared :( Your responses are very reasurring! As for my Vitamins, I can't seem to swallow as well as before surgery. I have a pill orginizer and do my morning meds for sure especially my shots. I know I set at the table for a good hour trying to get it all down. This isn't an easy journey, but I pray it is the right one!

#1 priority is hydration... it takes awhile to meet Protein and other nutrition goals.

It definitely is harder to get things down than before, but each day will become easier. As far as Vitamins, do you have the chewy ones? I would do those rather than actual pills. Its going to be easier on your stomach. As others mentioned above, focus on hydrating first and then put more Water in your Protein. I put 28 oz of water in with my 1 scoop of protein because it is easier for me to drink that way. Add more if it makes it taste better to you.

I did the same as Krista and used to constantly sip Protein powder mixed with about 20 oz. of Water. I used milk chocolate and it just tasted like a thinner version of a milk shake. Hydration and Protein all in one! They did take me hours to drink though.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Thanks everyone....