Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wish**** wish you all the best!!!!

Thank you all for the welcome. This journey is just beginning for me, and I have to admit I'm really rather scared, but I'm not really sure why.

cendella170, Yep you definitely have more than one issue to qualify!! Like I said in my previous post, I also have BC/BS, and I too have to go to 6 nutrition classes, one per month. BC/BS is a bit ridiculous with that. I have my next appointment on October 16th with Nutrition, and another appointment on October 21st with Nurse Practitioner. It seems just getting to the surgery date is so far away. In some ways, I'm ready for this to begin already. I've battled my weight all my life. There were a few times in my life that I was a decent weight and decent size, but that was short lived. I've always been very active, but as I entered my 50's, I just can't stay as active as I used to. I'm sure part of it is the weight. Unfortunately, I have such a hard time losing weight. I'd rather hit my head against a brick wall.

I'm glad to find people who I can talk to about this and can relate to how I feel. I never even wanted to entertain the thought of having WLS, but my diabetes is beginning to damage my kidneys and I'm not ready to die in 10 years or less.

I think the reason I'm scared of this is because I won't know how to act as a thin person. I'm afraid of my face looking old as I lose the fat. If I get saggy skin on my midsection, that won't bother me. I'll just wear a compression thing like Spanx or just a girdle type garment.

I've already given up a lot of stuff a few years ago when I began a low carb diet, so I won't really miss the carbs. Every now and then I get a sweet tooth, but I usually can satisfy that with sf popsicles or Jello. I cut a good amount of caffeine from my diet so giving it up completely shouldn't be a problem. I mostly drink Decaf now. The soda will be somewhat difficult to stop, even though I usually only drink 1 can a day. I find it as a treat. But, I'll give it up. I quit smoking 1-1/2 years ago and I never thought I'd do that, but I did. If the diabetes would disappear after surgery, trust me I won't miss it!

Tell me more about your life cendella170. Anyone else out there who wants to share, please do. I need to feel I have this circle of people who can virtually hold my hand and let me know it is all going to work out, because I'm scared. Thanks.

@@RnyMallory Time does seem to fly by at times. I'm in the middle now so I'm beginning to get anxious at times. Trust me though, those first 3 months you won't even remember they wiz by so quickly. Good luck to you too.

@@ambrosia916 Thank you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!

@@Renkoss Well, I just turned 43 and have been dealing with the ups and downs of weight loss for the majority of my life. Once I hit my mid 20's the troubles began. At this point my health is getting worse; sleep apnea, hypertension, aches and pains, shortness of breath; I knew I needed to do something. I can honestly say I am not afraid of going through this process and am actually excited. My son is not a fan of it and says I can do it just by dieting but I know at this point I need more help. I understand when you say that surgery seems so far away, but we'll be amazed by how time flies by. I am making sure to learn as much as I can along the way so that I am well informed. I have cut back a lot on my soda; I love Pepsi and I think that's going to be my biggest issue giving up. As for being scared of how to act as a thin person, remember at the core you are still you. I am looking forward to it and along the way will be working out to counteract some of the sagging I know will happen. I have three appointments and 1 class in October, 4 classes in November and my final class in December. With the holidays coming up, I'll be keeping busy. Also to keep my mind occupied I'm going to start an exercise routine on the 1st. I want to get a routine going so that I can follow once surgery is done.

cendella170, very familiar story. I think you have a wonderful game plan going for you. I have two grown daughters and they are both very supportive of me doing this. They realize how much I've tried to lose the weight, and how much I've given up in hopes of controlling the diabetes. My husband is still a bit of a doubting Thomas, but I think as he learns that I am serious and committed to this, he will be 100% behind me on this. My sisters and my Dad are both onboard as well. And you are right; at the core I'll always be me. Some of that I hope to change (the negative part of it) but that's a whole other story!!

I think I will begin to make a game plan as well. I did buy some light weights to begin doing a bit of strength and toning. I really am looking forward to being able to move better and without so much discomfort. I want to be an active woman again instead of so sedentary.

Well, need to go to bed now. Hope to talk with you again soon.

@@Renkoss My husband is definitely my biggest cheerleader. He always has questions and makes sure I meet my appointments on time. As for my son, I think he'll come around. He's just worried about the surgery aspect.

My husband is a bit skeptical, but that's just him. He will be supportive no matter what, it's just the "Sargeant Carter" mentality that I don't need. That just causes the rebel in me to, well, rebel. :)

@@Renkoss LOL. We might be married to the same man. My husband is older than me and sometimes he forgets I'm not his child but his wife.

Cendella170, that is too funny. In my case, I am 9 months older than my husband, so sometimes he tries to treat me like one of our daughters, but I pull the age card on him :)

Is there anything that scares you about having this done? I'm not really talking about the whole surgical part; that much I'm not really afraid of. Surgery is surgery. I'll be sore for a bit, but that will heal. I'm talking about once you get through the first month or two. Are you afraid of resorting back to old habits? For the most part I eat pretty healthy; but my biggest problem is eating when I'm not really hungry out of boredom, depression, anxiety, emotions. I'm hoping to resolve a lot of that before having surgery, but I read here of people who end up eating things they really shouldn't and the weight loss stalling, or worse...gaining weight back! I want this to be a total lifestyle change that I will never return to old ways ever. My health depends on it! I am hoping this either resolves the diabetes, or at the least makes it much more manageable and able to keep blood sugar numbers low so my internal organs stop being damaged. I'm already 53, so if this gets me into my 80's relatively healthy, I'd be happy with that. I want to see my daughters get married and have children so I can be a grandma. I want to be around for all that.

I have to say that I am afraid of what happens after I get the surgery. Like you, I worry about the emotional eatings. Lately my eating habits have changed because I am trying to train myself to eat differently. I'm not worried about the stalls, but more gaining weight back. I think I would be devastated if that were to happen.

Me too. That is really the only part that concerns me. I guess stalled would be frustrating, but gaining would be devastating.

HI Cendella170. I am in delaware as.well. I have done all the medical testing and am just going to do is 1 more Nutrition class then .take the life.classes. have been blessed off by all the drs. Found out I have sleep apnea (not really a surprise ) and asthma and now low Protein and low Iron. Can't wait for clearance and a surgery date.

Ren Koss. I think we have to view this as life change and not a quick fix. I know personally I am working on training my brain that I won't be able to eat or drink certain things. But at the same time I am wanting to have that "final" meal. It's a bit of a mental battle. I lost a few and given in....but I have won more than I've lost. LOL. And the ones that I lost to...it really wasn't worth it. Didn't taste as good as what I had thought. Karma??? Lol