Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and am out of Delaware. Started my journey 3 months ago and have 3 more to go before I go for insurance approval. I have Empire BC/BS and was wondering if anyone else deals with them. I am so excited to be on this path and hope that everything works out in the end.

Hello @@cendella170, glad your here & to take the journey with us. I'm having gastric bypass on Oct. 8th, getting closer for me!!! Best of luck to you!!

Hi @60&goin4it. Thank you for the warm welcome. So happy to hear that you are scheduled. Hope all goes well for you.

Hi cendella170. I'm new to the site as well. I have just begun the consulting part of this journey, so I've met with Nutrition 1 out of 6 times required by the insurance. I can only go to appointments once a month, so I won't be getting surgery any time soon! I have Anthem BC/BS Federal Insurance. They have required the 6 visits with nutrition. I'm not sure what else they will require prior to actual surgery. You can call Customer Service and ask what you benefits cover for bariatric surgery. Also, you must meet more than one health issue to qualify. I know for me I am at least 100 lbs overweight, I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP to sleep, I have diabetes Type II, Metabolic Syndrome, and the beginning of kidney damage from the diabetes. I've been tried on just about every diabetes drug out there, I am currently on an insulin pump and so very insulin resistant. I have difficulty really getting my numbers under control. I've been trying to lose weight for the past 3 years by eating low carb and just haven't had any luck. It is pretty much impossible to lose weight while using so much insulin.

I hope that you have success with the insurance. Pleasure to meet you as well.

Hi Renkoss. I too am 100lbs overweight, have sleep apnea and use a CPAP. Also, have hypertension so I meet the more than one health issue to qualify. I have been diligent in making all of my appointments and have read all of the requirements the insurance company specifies. I go to several doctors appointments each month but have to take a nutrition class 6 times and can only go once a month. In November they require 3 classes that I have to get a passing grade in to continue. It does keep me very busy.

So glad to meet you. Good luck to you on your journey.

@@Renkoss - Forget to add, lets keep in touch.

@@cendella170 & @ Renkoss,

Welcome! This is a journey to our new lives!

@@GBLady41 Thank you for the warm welcome.

Good morning, I'm fairly new as well surgery on Oct 20. Good luck on your journey.

Welcome @cendella170. Sounds like you're well on your way. Good luck on this journey.

I'm having surgery Oct 12th. I'm at least a hundred pounds overweight. I have 1 co-morbidity sleep apnea. Today is my last 90 day NUT appt. I didn't have to lose weight, I just had to maintain. So if I maintained my weight, my paperwork will be submitted for approval today. I will be on pins and needles waiting for an approval. Less than 2 weeks to go!

Welcome aboard, and best of luck on your road to surgery!

Hello @@CHELLB33 I hope everything goes well with your surgery.

Hi @thbrown223. So glad to hear you're on your way. I didn't get any notification of if I had to maintain or not but it was suggested at my nutrition classes that I don't gain any weight. I hope you get your approval soon.

Thanks @. I'm so excited for this journey.

I'm starting my journey also! Just had my first weigh in on Sept. 21st. Dealing with bcbs of AL so I also have the 6months to go through! I have been told time flies by so fast! So hopefully it will! I've got a little over 200lbs to lose. And no co morbities... I hope you all the best!