Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learn from my mistake

Ok probably the first of many but...

I'm one week post op (sleeved 9/22). Seemed like I waited forever since I started this process (first dr consult was April 20th).

Everything went great with surgery. My blood pressure was high afterward so they kept me in recover a bit longer but no big deal.

Ok. So, I ate too much this morning. After several minutes I was very uncomfortable. Well the new stomach definitely has a mind of its own and its own evacuation plan too. And it's not kidding around. The issue was quickly "resolved". Omg I'm in so much pain right now.

I don't think I'll be making that mistake anytime again soon.

Lesson: pay close attention to your serving size. :-{

@@Rani Summers you are on liquids still, correct?

A warning my nut gave me was that the first 6 weeks your nerves are still recovering from surgery so you may not feel the fullness. Eat by how much you measure and be sure to eat slowly. Good luck!

Yes, those first weeks are temperamental, and your stomach is definitely not shy about voicing it's opinion. But you can't really blame it considering all its just been through. ????

Hope you feel better soon!

Congrats on your journey!

@Rani Summers Should you be eating though? Just started any chewing foods at day 22

Edited by umo

Ok probably the first of many but...

I'm one week post op (sleeved 9/22). Seemed like I waited forever since I started this process (first dr consult was April 20th).

Everything went great with surgery. My blood pressure was high afterward so they kept me in recover a bit longer but no big deal.

Ok. So, I ate too much this morning. After several minutes I was very uncomfortable. Well the new stomach definitely has a mind of its own and its own evacuation plan too. And it's not kidding around. The issue was quickly "resolved". Omg I'm in so much pain right now.

I don't think I'll be making that mistake anytime again soon.

Lesson: pay close attention to your serving size. :-{

I know everyone keeps asking the same question, but not sure what or why you were eating at less than a week out. I followed every instruction and I'm still back in the hospital, so I highly recommend you follow your doctors instructions to a T if you want a safe, speedy recovery.

Same concern as the others. At one week, I was still on full liquids, about to transition to purees at 2 1/2 weeks, soft foods at 3 1/2 weeks, and regular cooked foods at 4 1/2 weeks, and from what I see here on the forum, that is an aggressive plan.

You have have found out that your new tummy is in charge, now. You may as well give it a name. Mine is Miss Tummy and she is the boss of me. If I overstep her boundaries, she will make sure that I am miserable for hours.

@@SleeveMe247 are you ok now or still in the hospital?

@@SleeveMe247 are you ok now or still in the hospital?

I just came to the hospital Sun night and was admitted. I had severe nausea and vomiting, and I have been on full liquids for almost a week although I am one month out. I was told last week that I had pancreatitis and they recommended I fast for a couple days then work my way back up to softs. Sunday was the first day I tried softs again and as soon as the food entered my mouth, before I even got a chance to swallow it, I became very sick. I had no food in the hospital yesterday and I'm supposed to be on bariatric clears today to see how I tolerate them.

That's why I recommend the OP not to overeat so fast...because even when you follow the directions you can end up sick. So just imagine when you're not following instructions.

I hope you get better soon.

Hi... just to reassure everyone... when I say eating, I'm referring to anything other than Water for the most part. Even if it's V-8 - I put Protein powder in it and warm it up so to me it's Soup - lol.

The hospital sent me home with 1oz medicine cups and I found I was using about 3 1/2 of those on average so I had already bought these little square snack cups with lids that I realized if I fill up to the lid line with liquid it only measures 3oz. The packages claims they are 4 oz, but I guess that's for dried stuff and/or filled to the rim. So, I've been using this since Saturday and it's worked fine.

Well, yesterday I got over confident that I knew how much I could eat without using my 3oz snack cup... I WAS WRONG!!! and hence my stomach showing me who's in charge now, as Miss Mac put it. lol

I love what The Post Op said about how can you blame it after what it's been through - lol... yeah I guess it has a right to be temperamental, and I did ask for this, didn't I? Which is really funny because the rest of day one post op (same day as surgery), I kept saying to myself "OMG, what did I do to myself?" Day 2 wasn't much better but every since I've felt good about this decision all over again.

I saw my doc today. He took my staples out... thank goodness because they were itchy as heck... and said I'm doing wonderfully. I told him about my situation, exactly as I wrote it above ("I ate too much yesterday and I learned my stomach has a mind of it's own, an evacuation plan, and isn't playing around.") and he said "and you'll never do THAT again." and laughed. I agreed with him. He's known me for years from a past surgery (he's a general surgeon as well) so we are familiar and friendly with each other.

I haven't told many people what's going on with me so I'm glad this forum is here, especially since you all understand and know exactly what I'm going through. Thanks for all your replies and concerns. :-)

Oh, BTW: how often are you "eating"? I seem to always have either Water or "food" in my hand. Remember, to me if it's Protein shake, broth, jello-o, etc, it's food - my mental way of thinking I'm eating I guess. If I'm not thirsty, I'm hungry. I think I'm eating something at least every two hours but also trying not to drink 30 minutes before or after the "food" as instructed.

Thanks again.

Rani

Sounds like this didn't apply to the OP, but be aware that some surgeon's plans do allow for food very early on. I was on soft foods (tiny portions) starting at day 3 post op. I'm now 4.5 weeks post op, and have not had any problems tolerating anything. No nausea, and haven't thrown up even once.

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

Edited by ttdish