Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the journey and having a real rough time

Hi all, I'm just starting this journey of getting a gastric sleeve. I'm meeting with my surgeon on Tuesday for the first time. My family is having a nervous breakdown over this whole thing and making me second guess my decision. Has anyone had any complications or issues? Anyone regret the surgery? Anyone fail? I don't know where else to turn to so I'm asking for some help.

Thanks!!!!

Welcome to this site. It's a great source of information and inspiration. It has been a great help for me.

I was sleeved April 20 of this year. Due to some financing delays, I had plenty of time to learn as much as I could and to prepare, so by the time I had surgery I was ready to get it over with.

I have had a complication-free recovery and am very happy with my progress and experience. I consider myself very blessed to have been referred by my PCP to an outstanding surgeon.

I have also been blessed to have nothing but positive support from my family and friends. Even if they don't always understand what my life is like, they are supportive.

You might want to see if one of your family members would attend some of your pre-op appointments.

I was sleeved through a Center of Excellence and I was encouraged to bring someone to all of my pre- and post-op education classes.

I think that the more you and your family can learn about the process and the surgery, the less fearful and anxious you will be.

Learn as much as you can and ask lots of questions and keep us updated on how you are doing.

What you're going through is normal. Second thoughts, push back from family and friends (that's why a lot of people choose not to tell anyone) seems to happen to most of us. I told everyone and could care less what anyone said. I was ready.

Yes, most people have regrets very early out. You're sore, tired, hungry and grieving our old friend food. Once you heal up and things start to normalize and you're losing weight, the regrets go away. When you've lost all or most of your weight, the only regret you're going to have is you didn't do it sooner.

Complication rate is VERY low with the sleeve. Less than 1%. The odds of me using this tool to change my life for the better were 100%. I liked those odds.

Yes, people fail. Notice I said PEOPLE and not the sleeve. It's up to us to use it properly and do the hard work. The sleeve just helps us along. It's ultimately up to us to change our lifestyle with the intentions of losing weight and keeping it off. The sleeve won't do it for us ;)

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

Hi all, I'm just starting this journey of getting a gastric sleeve. I'm meeting with my surgeon on Tuesday for the first time. My family is having a nervous breakdown over this whole thing and making me second guess my decision. Has anyone had any complications or issues? Anyone regret the surgery? Anyone fail? I don't know where else to turn to so I'm asking for some help.

Thanks!!!!

You have to do the research and be comfortable. Some people are uneducated about WLS and how it works and such. A lot of the "hate" and misunderstanding comes from them not knowing. I am 43 days away from surgery, but I've lost 187 in the past 19+ months with diet changes. I started at 688 pounds, and last Saturday weighed in at 501 for the first time in a decade and a half.

Put your foot down with the family and be firm with them. That you've done the homework and research and that you're comfortable with it. Maybe even have them come to some appointments with you so that they can ask questions they may have.

Best of luck to you!!

My sister is the only one who is being supportive of this. I'm 28 years old and the decision is obviously mine to make but I have a close knit family and it's hard to do something they strongly are against. My mom saw her own primary dr today and asked him what his thoughts were about the surgery and he strongly suggested I not get it. So it's just made the situation worse on my end. Haha I've done lots of crying in the last two days. I just want to know if I'm making the right choice. I'm currently 272 with sleep apnea. I stopped losing weight because of not sleeping from the apnea and I continued to watch what I ate and worked out and took up road biking and unfortunately ended up falling and injured myself which landed me at 272. I'm just real upset with myself and depressed right now and I've tried to lose the weight so many other ways for so many years. I just feel like this is the right decision for me. Sigh. ????

Edited by Kathryn_A

Welcome! You will gets lot of uniformed people telling you this is dangerous and don't do it. For me this was life changing and the easiest surgery I have ever had done. I had zero pain and zero complications. This was easier than my complete hysterectomy. Do your research and listen to experts, not nay sayers. Even with doctors some are old fashioned and not up on what baritric surgery involves. If he's not your doctor, he doesn't get a say. I would recommend continuing your research, but don't bother talking to your family about it. It's not worth the arguments and family discordance. People often hear surgery and panic. Even with your pre-op testing, just quietly get it done and don't make a big deal about it.

I do believe the decision is yours and YOURS alone. I purposely gave none or extremely limited information to my closest friends and immediate family regarding my decision to get sleeved. I didn't want to hear all of the negativity about what could happen, and what would happen if I just tried harder. I'm an individual that is very independent and only consulted with my husband before making the final decision. I am in the medical field myself and knew all of the complications that could happen to me. I gave a lot of thought to the fact that in my 55 years I have tried dozens of diets, food plans, exercise programs and after a few months would throw in the towel due to LONG stalls, cravings, etcetera. I was also self pay and had to decide if it was worth the cost. But I realized that I have paid far more for vehicles than the surgery would cost and the surgery would save me from possible death due to my obesity issues. I made the decision that the older I got the more chance of complications would occur so I went for it. I have had absolutely NO complications. I've had a few stalls but not as bad as with my past diets. I have lost 56 pounds since June 9, 2015 and I honestly am thrilled. I have LOADS of energy, my fibromylgia pain is almost non-existent, eating is for sustenance now not out of habit. My only regret is that I didn't do this when I was in my thirties or forties. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Definitely no regrets after seeing the results in 4 months. Thankfully no complications of any kind during the post op and now. I was also freaking out prior to the surgery. Don't second guess your decision based on family and friends. Follow your heart and know it's the best thing for your body and mind. I added some pics post-244766-14433301519685_thumb.jpg post-244766-14433302002873_thumb.jpg

Definitely no regrets after seeing the results in 4 months. Thankfully no complications of any kind during the post op and now. I was also freaking out prior to the surgery. Don't second guess your decision based on family and friends. Follow your heart and know it's the best thing for your body and mind. I added some pics attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1443330179.571458.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1443330227.947739.jpg

Just curious what was your weight change in that 4 months? Congrats!!

I was 320 before surgery now I'm 205

I understand. I have a big, close knit family. We get together often. One of the things I've learned over the years is some things are not worth fighting over. Especially not with people you will see all the time. I confide more in my sister because she's more open about WLS. Other family members I don't mention it at all. I'm not going to frustrate myself trying to convince them and I don't want this to be a bone of contention. Now a year out seeing how well I am doing many of the nay sayers are coming around.

I come from a family where everything revolves around food. They were not very helpful in making my decision but they have at least understood why I had to do it.

I too suffered from sleep apnea. The sleep apnea had caused my heart to enlarge and go into congestive heart failure. I could not lose weight because of the Fluid build up and problems with my back and knees. The doctor's were contemplating putting me on more medications. I could not use a c-pap machine and I was really starting to have problems with staying awake while driving and doing my work.

I decided that VGS was right for me. Instead of my Dr. telling me which surgery was best, he asked me which surgery I thought I wanted and why. He made sure I did my homework on WLS and was ready for the goods and the bads that come along with it. Only you can determine if you want to make the investment in yourself and stand up for yourself against nay sayers.

I have now lost 42 pounds and am in my 5th week. I did have some initial problems with fluids and Proteins but those are working themselves out. I am sleeping 5 hours a night up from 1 hour a night. I no longer have big black circles under my eyes from lack of sleep, and I am able to drive to my parents house (40 miles away) without having to stop and walk around my car to avoid falling asleep. I have ankles, and I am wearing dresses that show off those ankles. VGS was right for me.

Only you can decide if you are ready for WLS and stick with it even if every one around you does not understand.

Edited by kalira

Hi there. I had and I'm having similar issues with a family member. When I made the decision to have wIs I told my brother who I'm extremely close to. He immediately told me I should not do it. It's too dangerous. For a week after he was calling me to share outcomes of individuals who had horrible issues because of the surgery. I took his concern for what it is, his love for me. I'm the little sister he's always protected. It didn't change my mind because I have put in the work and done the research on this action I'm about to take. I've involved my doctor, husband and son, who all support my decision. I attend support groups, I've connected with others who have had the surgery and saw their results, I've kept my reasons for doing it in front of me (high blood pressure, pre diabetic, wanting to be healthy as possible). I appreciate his concern, but in the end this is about me and what I feel is best for me.

I have been dealing with the same thing with my family, I am 18 days away from surgery and they are still fighting it. I used the old third grade method and took out a piece of paper, drew a line down the center and wrote on the top why? And why not? I then wrote all of the reasons to have the surgery, I'm borderline diabetic, sleep apnea, my knees, my feet and so on and on the o wrote why not, I even asked my family members why not, almost all of them said because it is dangerous, well being a forty year old morbidly obese diabetic is pretty freakin dangerous too. Look in the mirror and look into your own eyes, if you want this do it!!! Make yourself healthy!!! Good luck on your journey!!!