Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh why can't this be positive?

Today I am 22 days away from my surgery and I have only told a handful of people but my family is so negative. I keep hearing things like you could lose the weight of you tried, surgery is the easy way out and so on!!! I will be 40 years old in November, my son is graduating from high school this year and I need to take care of myself. My grandma died from her medication she took because she was diabetic. I want to be healthy! I am not going to change my mind I just have to be strong for the next 22 days!!! I'm going to do this if I have to do it alone!!!

Belive me this is not the easy way out ..But remember this surgery is just a tool it does not fix your head and habits we had I am fighting my thoughts on a daily basis..

Thank you both and I know it's not the easy way out hell it too me three years just to walk in to the office, and I've been working for the past six months for this, I know I need the tool/help to get myself healthy!!! If I thought for one second I could do it alone I wouldn't be here!!!

You can do it !! I too have a family like that and it sucks! But you fight for it ✊????✊????✊???? hope all goes well !

Well thank goodness that you are what I call "a woman fully growed" and able to make your own healthcare decisions. This is for you. They don't have to suffer in your body. Just think, it won't be long before you will be saying "I told you so".

You are right, I have fought my weight my entire life and it's time to take care of it. My family has always supported everything I have ever done, but they just don't understand this. I have to do it for myself!!!!

No kidding, I'm the only one who thought I wasn't nuts for doing this. Now they are all saving their pennies to get it done.

Be encouraged this is your decision and your life. Sometimes I think they are just afraid because it's major surgery. Go for it , I'm 6 mos post op and now the family see that I'm serious and successful . I had family members eating healthier and cooking healthier. My children and grandchildren encourage me to excerise. I feel great and my Drs reports have been good. I've been taken off one of my blood pressure medication !!

So sorry you are dealing with this negativity. You're very much like me in age and desire to make a break from this downward health spiral! You've got this! Stay strong!!

you can do it!!!

it sucks not to have family support but this is something you're doing for you. It's NOT an easy way out. It's simply a tool to help you loose weight. That's what people don't get. It's not an EASY way out, it's not a magic want. It's just another tool in our fight, we still have to choose what we eat, we still have to exercise

Hi on the couple of occasions where this was said to me in my case after the fact by ppl who found out by others my response was this " when you have this surgery and live with it for a while we can re visit this conversation and you can tell me what about it you think is so easy, until then I didn't ask nor do I care what you think"