Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Staples Are in Your Pantry?

I am just beginning this journey and I am curious to know what items to keep in my pantry and what to get rid of.

I live alone, so I don't have to keep anything that I don't need to eat there. I'm also on disability so I can't afford to waste food ;)

I love spices and seasonings and I realize that I have to be careful with the seasonings. I figure the spices I have are good. I grow some herbs and dry them or freeze them in ice cubes.

What about any Condiments or dressings?

I figure I'm getting everything out of the house now so I'm not tempted. My hubby (we're separated but still best friends) is going to get a nice package of food!

Edited by fairee

I had my daughter take all my cake mixes, Pasta, etc. My food cupboard is usually stuffed. It is kinda nice to have some room in there. The only thing I have bought recently is low-sodium, fat free broth, Stevia and sugar-free Jello.

I'm pre op and purged ALL of my bad food. I only have healthy things like sugar free Jello and pudding. Wheat thins. Protein Bars and shakes. broth. Stevia. Spices and seasoning (because I can only eat plan grilled chicken so much). Low sodium soy sauce. And then A TON of 4 ounce containers for mean planning and Portion Control. My doctor put me on a diet eating 4 ounces of good Protein and healthy food every 3 hours.

@@Tssiemer1 ... what part of Ohio are you from? I'm in Warren, just outside of Youngstown

I'm just north of Cincinnati.

I have a couple boxes of mac n cheese and Pasta and jars of sauce for my husband

for me i have some cans of refried Beans, some cans of Soup, cans of tuna, cans of chicken, cans of corned beef hash,

in the fridge I have greek yogurt, string cheese, those round cheeses in the red wax wrappers, skim mik

I also have frozen fruit and Popsicle in the freezer

I'm just north of Cincinnati.

I am in the Dayton area

We pretty much got rid of anything made in a factory.

I have very little prepackaged foods, some canned veggies I'm getting rid of; mac & cheese I had for my granddaughter..... I do have rice, couscous, quiona, tri color Pasta, and some reg Pasta. I also have regular oatmeal. Which ones of these should I hold on to?

Anything in a tin/packet went although I do now have 60g of tuna (in water) in tins for emergency purposes. Most of my food is either in the fridge, cottage cheese, yogurt, babybel light cheese, meats etc. or homemade and in the freezer, Soups, broth, fish, meatballs, chilli etc. I buy large packs of chicken and turkey and weigh them into 3 or 4oz, then bag up and freeze. That way I can just use a bag at a time and know how many grams are in each bag. All my veg is frozen and I don't do popsicles or puddings. I am very lucky as my husband is a very good cook and hates anything out of a packet or jar and makes everything from scratch. I clean up the kitchen which usually looks like a scene of crime afterwards. ;)

I tend to eat fresh main meals daily and the rest of the meals from the freezer (leftovers are good to freeze too!) I can take out 2 frozen meatballs and sauce, take to work and by lunchtime pop in the microwave and ta daaaa... high Protein lovely lunch. I just found beef Jerky for the first time and that’s in my locker at work in case I miss lunch and can eat on the go. There are also packets in the car, in case of emergency.

Edited to add: Protein powders and bars are in there too!!

I have very little prepackaged foods, some canned veggies I'm getting rid of; mac & cheese I had for my granddaughter..... I do have rice, couscous, quiona, tri color Pasta, and some reg Pasta. I also have regular oatmeal. Which ones of these should I hold on to?

I kept my oatmeal, quinoa, and couscous for later and gave away all my pasta and boxed pasta meal starters, etc. I also keep my rice bit may give it to my mom. I anticipate that later in my journey I may be able to add more carbs but am avoiding most simple/starchy carbs for now.

Thanks everyone! I'm getting some great ideas on how to prepare myself for my new life!!

I love to use fresh veggies, but most of the time they go bad. Freezing in the right portions is a great way to use them up!

I keep an apples and oranges around Beef Jerky is a quickie go to for me. Almond milk with a hint of coconut less sugar 35 or 40 cals, I use this for my Protein shake. Sweet potato, canned tuna in Water.

Basically I keep healthy carbs and healthy Proteins.

Thanks everyone! I'm getting some great ideas on how to prepare myself for my new life!!

I love to use fresh veggies, but most of the time they go bad. Freezing in the right portions is a great way to use them up!

I also get those little single-serve packages of green Beans, peaches, pears, etc. it's easy to add one of those to a Protein to make a quick meal. I eat a lot of green beans!

Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, string cheese, deli turkey, deli cheeses, tuna and salmon packets, refried Beans, chili, Peanut Butter, turkey sausage links, and eggs are in my fridge and pantry.

I keep frozen turkey burgers, chicken, fish, blueberries, etc. in my freezer.

My spice drawer is multiplying. Before surgery I didn't cook very much but I am trying to do it much more so I have been adding more herbs and spices to my collection.

I have always had tons of Condiments (I love mustards, pickles, olives, artichoke hearts, capers, mayo, aioli, salsa, jalapeños, etc.) I find I use much less mayo and/aioli than I used to though. I just rearranged my small fridge yesterday and it is still about half full of condiments!

My spice drawer is multiplying. Before surgery I didn't cook very much but I am trying to do it much more so I have been adding more herbs and spices to my collection.

I have always had tons of Condiments (I love mustards, pickles, olives, artichoke hearts, capers, mayo, aioli, salsa, jalapeños, etc.) I find I use much less mayo and/aioli than I used to though. I just rearranged my small fridge yesterday and it is still about half full of condiments!

I have a lot of spices because I'm always looking for new flavors. I think just about everything I eat has some type of added spice to it!

I'm not a fan of mustard or mayo, but I do love my homemade salsa! I usually have artichoke hearts on hand at all times too. I keep pickles in the fridge too, and also save the juice. I read that it is a great for hydration, you just drink some.