Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

15 days post op with chronic diarrhea

I am 15 days post-surgery and for about the last 5 days, I've had diarrhea every day. I am at the point where I am trying soft/pureed foods and it seems to be what triggers the diarrhea. So far, cottage cheese seems to be the only thing that doesn't trigger it (but it has been a few days since I've tried it). Greek yogurt, cream Soups, soft/pureed veggies, refried Beans, they all seem to upset my stomach. Yes - I'm only eating small amounts (3-4 teaspoons) and eating it slow enough (it stays down, I have not yet vomited). But anywhere from 1 to 4 hours later, I'm in the bathroom.

Did anyone else go through this? Is it simply too soon for me to introduce these types of foods? Or could it be a bigger issue?

I had the same issue - I think it was the Protein shakes. Once I got real food and less Protein Shakes, my diarrhea lessened and now it's gone (I still have one shake a day).

For sure see you're doctor. I would say milk intolerance but you're cottage cheese seems to be fine. Sometimes after stomach surgery the stomach wakes up and doesn't tolerate milk to well (at least that's been my experience). Call and see what your office recommends. Hope you start feeling better soon!

It's normal. And when you begin eating solid food you will then switch to becoming constipated. It's not uncommon to go days, if not weeks, without a bowl movement. I once went three weeks without one and when it finally struck I about died. Now I used laxatives once a week.

@PIBren oh how I wish that was me I am completely the opposite and it's only been getting worse going about almost 3 weeks without going is worse that is how long I can actually not go and I have tried various various things to help and NOTHING :/

Ok so it is the lactose intolerance which is in milk that can cause it. Regular cheese has no lactose because it is all Protein and fat. I don't know about cottage cheese. And some people also become very sensitive to gluten. So definitely go to your doctor, and be careful about anything processed (even so called diet foods).

I am 15 days post-surgery and for about the last 5 days, I've had diarrhea every day. I am at the point where I am trying soft/pureed foods and it seems to be what triggers the diarrhea. So far, cottage cheese seems to be the only thing that doesn't trigger it (but it has been a few days since I've tried it). Greek yogurt, cream Soups, soft/pureed veggies, refried Beans, they all seem to upset my stomach. Yes - I'm only eating small amounts (3-4 teaspoons) and eating it slow enough (it stays down, I have not yet vomited). But anywhere from 1 to 4 hours later, I'm in the bathroom.

Did anyone else go through this? Is it simply too soon for me to introduce these types of foods? Or could it be a bigger issue?

I am 8 days post op and in the same boat. I've talked to my surgeon. Unfortunately some of us react this way. Mine has nothing to do with lactose intolerance. My surgeon feels mine is from the Protein shakes and has encouraged me to cut them out completely. I told him I was worried about my Protein goal and he agreed to let me continue with 1 a day. That being said I still have diarrhea. I have found if I use benefiber in my first shake of the day I have less diarrhea. Once my stomach allows i will be cutting Protein Shakes. Hang in there.

I had the same problem. For me, it turned out to be the almond milk that I was using in my shakes. I had been drinking almond milk for years with no problem until after the surgery.

Good to se that I'm not alone...It has become such that I cannot / DO NOT trust any form of flatulence...because I know what is ahead with every rumbling of the belly. :huh:

I have been using Bariatric Advantage and unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powders..From reading this thread, perhaps that is part ofthe problem. The first 2 days, I thought that it might be related to the pain meds I was given while in the hospital--but those are long since out of my system, being 5 days post-op.

I will scale back on the Protein for the next 24 hours and seeif I can regain the trust of my GI tract :blink:

Hoping that everyone else feels better SOON, too!

I am 5 days post op as well and having that issue as well. I'm on Clear Liquids along with Protein Shakes so I don't expect much from my gi tract but liquid. Not fun though! Feel better!!!

It's normal. And when you begin eating solid food you will then switch to becoming constipated. It's not uncommon to go days, if not weeks, without a bowl movement. I once went three weeks without one and when it finally struck I about died. Now I used laxatives once a week.

Sounds just like baby poop. When they're exclusively breastfed, it's like mustard cottage cheese. After you introduce solids, you wonder how something so small can poop such turds. Plus, they usually get constipated on the transition from breastmilk to food.< /p>