Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else feel super emotional post op?

Hi all, my name is Caitlin. I am 2 weeks post op and definitely grieving my relationship with my favorite comfort foods. I just started my puréed diet which is exciting because I could not stomach another bowl of broth. Anyway, I've been finding myself so emotional since my surgery. I cry at the drop of a hat. I blame it on my break up with food. Did anyone else notice this and did it eventually go away?

I was warned that my hormones would be out of balance for about a month post-op.

And BOY! were they.

I was mad at the world and wanted to fight everybody.... for no reason!

You should be past the worst of it.

My feelings of anger dropped off after the 2nd week and by the end of the month, I was back to my old normal grouchy self. :-P

I am still trying to adjust, it seems like my emotions are all over the place and I'm 7 months out! I could understand if it was a Hallmark commercial all the time but geez.

Just keep in mind, that estrogen is stored in fat. As you lose the fat, estrogen is released and kinda jack with your emotions. :-)

And I know from personal experience that when I'm eating too few carbs, that I'm low energy, more cranky and get agitated easier.

I am still trying to adjust, it seems like my emotions are all over the place and I'm 7 months out! I could understand if it was a Hallmark commercial all the time but geez.

@@joatsaint no wonder everything gets me emotional! lol

Yes. Hormone let down... Pretty close to having a baby. Then again I lost 30 in 1 month between pre-op and two weeks post! Just don't make any life decisions. I cried at my 1 month weigh in as I felt scolded for not walking enough... Hang in there..... Water water water!

Thank you all for reassuring me I'm not crazy. My mom has even suggested I speak with a psychologist. I'm not sure if it's that serious but even my fiancé has noticed a difference in my attitude towards certain things. I will try to wait it out a few more weeks and see how I feel before seeing a doctor. Thank you all again.

Btw. Your ability to eat and enjoy your favorite comfort foods will return.. beware it's like a bad relationship! I snook some dark chocolate into my ninja for vanilla Protein shakes with ice and coffee. (Like Starbucks) they were great, until I didn't make one and hit the drive-thru.... Lol. Best and worst choice of my life. We are human. I owned it! Enjoyed it and haven't done it again in 10 weeks. I think there are so many rules things get hard and confusing.

We are going to make mistakes, I am a medical social worker at a hospital and had my surgery there in front of all peers! Talk about pressure... Take it easy on yourself. You will succeed and actually forget about the struggles you are having today in a few short weeks....

Edited by AJ cowgirl

I was a crazed lady for some time. About 7 weeks post op for me. It gets better. I think a lot of it was I was tired but still trying to do everything I had done before! I am nasty when I'm tired!

Totally normal. I went through a phase where I was just mean and grumpy. I'm usually pretty even keeled, but the first couple months were pretty rough. I avoided watching any dramas on TV, not too many action films either. Mysteries and comedies were the best thing to watch.

I also avoided people because I would just snap at them. My surgeon warned me of it, but I had no idea it would be so intense.

I had to find a new way to enjoy food... I would devour a ribye pre sleeve... I had to learn to eat much slower and savor the new portion sizes. It's totally normal and takes some getting used to mentally.