Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just like him...

Being overweight is a shared trait in my family. I've struggled... we've all struggled our whole lives... My sisters and I were trying to talk my father into getting weightloss surgery. He was too ashamed and embarrassed to ask his doctor about it. He thought that he should've been able to do it himself, and that asking for help would make him weak. This past May he passed away in his sleep. He was only 58. There is no doubt in my mind that this surgery would have saved his life. My dad should still be here. In the midst of this heartbreaking time in my life, I've discovered I was just like him. I love my dad (he will forever be my Superman), and I never in a million years would have thought that being like him was a bad thing... I never had considered getting weightloss surgery for myself because like my father, I thought I should be able to do it myself. I've tried... and failed... and tried... and failed so much that I kind of lost faith in myself. I've realized that asking for help is the most courageous thing I can do. It can save my life like it should have saved my father's. My sister and I are scheduled to get gastric bypass surgery in Mexico on September 25th. I'm very excited about starting a new life with a new lifestyle, and I know that my Dad will be watching. I'm determined to make him proud.

This is a decision you will not regreat....good luck!

Edited by Spiceyfrog

Thank you so much!

I am so very sorry for your loss! He would be so proud of you and your sister for taking charge of your lives this way! Congrats on such an amazing decision! I am sure you will both do great! Keep us posted!

Don't waste a moment of your life not living anymore. I know all of us here probably share that as a regret. All the days we wasted saying, someday when I loose this weight I will.....honor your dad by grabbing life with both hands and really living! I have done so many things I had put off for so long this year after my surgery. In truth, I really began getting out there after only loosing a little weight but, it was a promise to me that I was doing this! Not just the surgery, not just weight loss but pushing my limits. I got in a bathing suit, went to Water parks, went tubing, went to the beach in my bathing suit (no cover up) and wore a sleeveless shirt! Also, I I make myself look in the full length mirror now, and I don't mind what I see! You girls can't imagine how life will be seven months from today. How different you will move in the world and the world will move around you. The beginning is tough but, I know you girls will stay strong together for eachother and for your dad. Please feel free to message me any time, I would love to stay in touch and see how your both doing. I know your dad would be very proud.

Thank you ladies so much. The support really means a lot to me! I'm really thankful that my sis and I found this site. :)

Anytime, please keep in touch as your date gets closer ok? Big hugs to you and your sister and I will say a prayer for your dad, he sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Thank you all so much. armywife79 thank you for your thoughtful words <3 I'm her sister Reilee. we are so excited to finally be doing this.. we will strive to make dad proud as we set off on our journey toward health and happiness. He was our safe place. I miss him so much.

I know loosing someone so wonderful to something so needless can really weigh heavy on your heart but, I think you and your sister breaking the cycle of obesity not only for you but for the next generation of your family will leave a legacy your dad will be very proud of. It's as such a tragedy that his path was in life had to be so short but , he will live on in both of his beautiful smart daughters who are making better choices in honor of him. In my family, my sister and I were the first two to to stop the cycle of abuse. We grew up with it but chose totally different paths,we both really knew we wanted another life for eachother . We both have careers, good marriages, and happy well adjusted loved kids from loving homes who will grow up and be even better parents than us and so on. This is how the history of families change and your on the way to changing yours too. It's a huge deal and you should be so proud of you both.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It really means a lot. It's cool to hear about you and your sister overcoming the obstacles in front of you to change not only your lives but your families too. I know this road will be tough but so, so worth it!! We will be sure to keep this post updated so you know how it goes with us!! :) <3

Good luck to both you girls! He will be proud. So nice you will have each other for support! Best of luck

Thank you!! :)

I am super excited for you both! I felt like my surgery was a reset button for my life. I got bypass 3/14/14. Was the nicest thing I have ever done for myself. I can now be a better mother and wife. There were so many things I couldn't do before and now nothing holds me back! Good luck and keep us all posted!

My gastric bypass surgery was August 10, 2015. Its definitely not easy. Some days are easier than others granted, but some days i feel so well blah. Not hungry or thirsty either one The thought of eating or drinking makes me feel sick. i make myself at least drink something and take my Vitamins. Some days i can eat and drink fine as long as its in my Phase 2 diet plan. I have my magic bullet to thank for some of the meals i am able to eat. My food does go down easier now. It used to hurt to eat. not now tho. it doesn't feel exactly good either. But when i look at how my clothes fit me and how my joints don't hurt as much i know this was the right life choice for me.

Being overweight is a shared trait in my family. I've struggled... we've all struggled our whole lives... My sisters and I were trying to talk my father into getting weightloss surgery. He was too ashamed and embarrassed to ask his doctor about it. He thought that he should've been able to do it himself, and that asking for help would make him weak. This past May he passed away in his sleep. He was only 58. There is no doubt in my mind that this surgery would have saved his life. My dad should still be here. In the midst of this heartbreaking time in my life, I've discovered I was just like him. I love my dad (he will forever be my Superman), and I never in a million years would have thought that being like him was a bad thing... I never had considered getting weightloss surgery for myself because like my father, I thought I should be able to do it myself. I've tried... and failed... and tried... and failed so much that I kind of lost faith in myself. I've realized that asking for help is the most courageous thing I can do. It can save my life like it should have saved my father's. My sister and I are scheduled to get gastric bypass surgery in Mexico on September 25th. I'm very excited about starting a new life with a new lifestyle, and I know that my Dad will be watching. I'm determined to make him proud.

I'm so sorry for your loss. And that young, I can't imagine.

I really identify with your thoughts about being able to lose weight on my own. As I read your story, I just stopped and thought "that's me"! And I too have lost faith in myself. Wow. Thanks so much for sharing your story. It really touched me and has made me stronger in my resolve to face this and start my new life. Thank you.