Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Surgery Diet - What's yours

Trinn, the thing with the sleeve is Portion Control. You don't have the portion control tool before you have your sleeve so it is easy to overeat. You however are saying you aren't having ANY problems following your pre-surgery diet. That means you aren't having any issues shrinking either your liver OR your stomach! Good for you if you can do it without the sleeve (watch your portions), but then that begs the question of why you are doing the sleeve in the 1st place or why are you are even heavy in the 1st place. If you aren't having any problems being on your pre-surgery diet with your stomach the size it is now, why bother getting the sleeve? Or is it because you wouldn't be able to keep this up for any long term? Just wanting clarification as I find this interesting. I have gone on Dr. Bernstien & Dr. Lefebre's. I lost but put it back on & more because the diets were so boring over time....Dr. Lefebre's was what I called the mix-mix, stir-stir diet. Only Protein in various forms & very little carb within the Protein Drink, or wafer, or pudding, etc..Dr. Bernstien's was an issue as you could only buy certain types of breads, etc., & even living in a city, these were difficult to buy as only specialty shops carried most. This also meant high prices for a loaf of bread (etc).

Wassef, I agree with you. No need to be attacked for sharing what we know. It only makes us less likely to share anything in the future. We share because sometimes there are ideas that are really good, that others did not know about & they can use. Sometimes we share but learn we are wrong, (not saying you are wrong) by reading another's post, & this makes us go looking for more information. Having worked at a bariatric clinic, I believe, gives your comments more worth & anyone who disagrees is not doing anyone any good or you any justice.

I am blown away by the nitpicking on this site, where people go running through previous posts looking for something to use to battle with. The thing is, people change & mature & get more knowledge. Something said a month ago could be totally different today....so Trin, please don't do that....just go by this subject's posting. Makes things way easier & deals with 1 topic at a time.

More than this,

thank you for your comment, I totally agree with what you said. I'm a medical surgical nurse with experience in the cosmetic and bariatric surgery department. I did my surgery 2 weeks ago, and I was checking the net for more informatio mainly about post diets ideas. When I saw the forum, I thought it was good idea to share and help other people. My knowledge is not absolute, as we have seen, every doctor has it's own methodology and protocol. But our info. merged together can help a lot of people

Hi Rick. Yes my surgeon is Gagner. How do you know of him? I see you have a different surgeon listed. I am from Calgary Alberta but am travelling to Montreal. Us rednecks here are so backwards that there is no place to go except Red Deer & Med Hat & they are through insurance, meaning long wait & a lot of hoops to jump. Ridiculous.

The DS world is a fairly small one, and most of the docs know each other, and most patients (like my wife, DS ten years ago,) tend to learn who the players are in that craft. Since most of the DS docs that I know don't need to do these "liver shrinking" diets, your stated diet and a surgeon from Montreal narrowed things down to a good guess. And, I know a couple other VSG patients who used Dr. Gagner as well. I prefer dealing with the DS docs as most have been doing sleeves, by way of the DS, for 10-20 years or more - which is part of why they tend not to get into doing the extensive pre-op diets as they have tools and specific experience that negates the need.

I hope that we all realize that different surgeons and centers have different advice for different patients.

I've read so many different things about pre surgery diets, post surgery diets, rice, Pasta, gravy, bread the list can go on and on.

I think we all need to be mature enough to know that while we gain insight and knowledge from each other, our surgeon is our #1.

I'm not sure if there is a steadfast, absolute right or wrong.

Sharing, caring and celebrating our lives is what it is all about.

Magic

Went grocery shopping for the 2 week pre-op diet and here's a pic of all, except 1% milk, 0 fat Greek yogurt, and premade Protein Shakes in fridge. This is unsweetened applesauce, sugar free pudding, sugar free Gelatin, cream of wheat, grits, steel cut oatmeal, sugar free Water flavors and unflavored/unsweetened, plain stevia sweetened, and chocolate Protein powders. (Yes, I am a bit OCD, but aren't we all a bit!)

post-261421-14408959639342_thumb.jpg

Hello I'm from Australia and I'm scheduled for my op on TV 15th of September. I only met with my doctor last week and booked in straight away. I'm off to Hawaii till the day before my surgery date and was told not to worry about doing a diet before hand just to try and avoid carbs, reading this is confusing me

My diet is two weeks of super low/no carbs; less than 20 carbs a day.

Hello I'm from Australia and I'm scheduled for my op on TV 15th of September. I only met with my doctor last week and booked in straight away. I'm off to Hawaii till the day before my surgery date and was told not to worry about doing a diet before hand just to try and avoid carbs, reading this is confusing me

Hello Eleni,

Not to worry, like your doctor said, no carbs and high Protein. It's not mandatory but it's for your own sake.

Low Carbs diet will allow your liver to shrink in size, therefore allowing the surgeon to have more space, and be more comfortable during the operation, hence less complications and better results. Having the high Protein diet will promote better healing after your operation.

Best of Luck in your operation

@@Misha_Lynne - LOL you are killing me! I am in the same type of (I will call it) nesting mode for surgery. How did you upload that picture?

I have been picking up a few things every week to get ready. G2, SF Jello, pudding, corned beef hash (saw that on World according to Eggface) My Syntrax unflavored Protein powder and Chike Protein coffee just came in the mail.

Now I know there are lots of different advise about caffeine after surgery, so I am not trying to sway anyone here, but IF your doctor says caffeine is ok, this stuff is AWESOME and brings 20G of protein in 8oz.

I have tested the V-Core (Cookies and Crème), Premier, and Chike and really like them all. I stuck my finger in the Syntrax and tasted it (it really didn't have a taste), but I have not tried it otherwise.

I just LOVE all the input! I am "nesting" too. I went today and bought some Campbells single Soups. I also found a couple other bargains. Muscle Milk Protein shakes, 25g Protein a four pack for 3.99, then I bought 3 cans of crab kind of like tuna. You mostly see imitation crab, so I grabbed this.

I will take a picture and upload soon.

Cool.

I'm on day three of nothing but 3 Protein Shakes a day and all the sf Jello broth and crystal light I want. Needless to sayI'm starving lol. But I will stick with it! Surgery September 9th. Yay

I'm on day three of nothing but 3 Protein shakes a day and all the sf Jello broth and crystal light I want. Needless to sayI'm starving lol. But I will stick with it! Surgery September 9th. Yay

My surgery is September 9th as well. See how the pre surgery diets change. I can have 3 Protein Shakes a day, and a Lean Cusine dinner at night or 4 shakes and a lower calorie dinner.< /p>

September 9th is an awesome date!!!!!