Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to drop 30lbs for surgeon

So my insurance does not require and supervised diet or weight loss, but my surgeon wants me to loose 30lbs. Any suggestions on dropping that amount of weight fast? I am so ready... I have been wanting and researching WLS for a long time. I had already lost 28 lbs before officially talking to my PCP and asking for help and WLS. I've changed habits, quit soda, and am exercising. I'm so tired of my 5 year olds friends asking if I've got a baby in my big tummy. Help!

Hi! What you can do is ask your nutritionist if you can start your pre op diet now. Some people do have to be on it longer than others depending on their health so, I don't think it would be out of the question. That would be two bariatric supplement shakes twice a day, two Greek yogurts and one meal of lean Protein and non starchy vegetables. It's tough, but effective. I'm sure you will be down the 30 or very close in a month or two. I lost 20 during that phase but, everyone is different. I think they just may want to see that you can stick to a plan before they go ahead.

I don't think it will be an issue but barring that, I would go to the first phase of Atkins. That's super low carb and would be a good alternative if need be. For us it's almost all carb control during active weight loss.

Thank you so much. I'm so tormented by this weight. I think once I finally got the courage to ask for help and decided to have WLS I realized how fed up I really am and how it really is effecting so many aspects of my life and the lives of those around me. :(

The progress and the surgery will come an your life will really change. You just have to be patient and go through these motions right now to get where you need to be. You'll do it, you seem very motivated!

I lost 20 pounds during my time with the nutritionalist and before that I lost 64 pounds in the 6 months prior to deciding to head down this journey. My surgery date is 9/17 and I can't wait.

You can do it just follow the rules the nutritionalist gives you!! More Protein, less carbs, more water!!! ????

i'm am currently in the process of trying to lose 30lbs myself. well i have lost 20 technically i have 10 to go but when i report to my surgeon all he ever says is "good job" not saying or hinting or even giving me any hope that i might be getting a date. i am getting pretty frustrated with him. when i went to his office he said 30lbs at first but then under his breath but very audible said " i would rather 40". I don't mind losing the weight because i want to lose as much as i can before the surgery, its hard and very emotional but i feel like losing 20lbs since the middle of July til now is really enough to show how dedicated i am and that it wouldn't hurt him to make me a date even two or three months from now just so it's there. You can do it. just really try your best and stick to whatever diet you have to in order to get to where you need to be and i hope you surgeon is not as dismissive as mine.

So cali, through Kaiser.

you can try the plan my nut gave me. 60-80 grams of Protein a day. no carbonated beverages. no juice. 64 ounces of Water. 3 meals at the same time every day 2 Snacks try to stay under 2000 calories

So cali, through Kaiser.

how is kaiser?? I go to the info session next week. Im also so cal kaiser.. Out of moreno valley but the meetings are in corona..

Try a half cup plain Greek yogurt, a scoop of vanilla Protein Powder, half a banana, a tel spn of Peanut Butter and some strawberries cut up. It's so so delicious! Even if you just have the yogurt, Pb, and Protein powder it is a great way to get protein without the gross taste of plain Greek yogurt