Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie who is Almost There!

Hi All! I am a newbie to this forum but boy am I glad I found it! I have read so many entries from people who are experiencing the same fears or worries that I am, and it makes me feel like I am no longer alone! Talking to my friends who are not overweight don't understand; they don't get it. I'm tired of having conversations with people who tell me that I could lose this the "normal" way if I just tried. Clearly I've tried, and failed, so here I am today going down the WLS journey.

I am pre-op and waiting for my insurance to approve the authorization for surgery. I have Hills Physicians and they quickly approved the authorization to see the surgeon, so I know they'll quickly approve the auth for surgery. I am SO close! My dietician has already started me on the liquid diet to be proactive in shrinking my liver and to lose as much weight as possible to assist in being more successful after surgery. I will probably be on the liquid diet, with less restrictions, for the last two weeks of August while my surgeon is on vacation. I am anticipating surgery to be sometime in September.

I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for sharing their stories. I have read so many posts and am so happy to have a place to go when I freak out and need some reassurance!

Please don't be a stranger, send me a message and say hi or send me a friend request :)

I'm pretty new here too, and welcome! It certainly is really helpful to be able to connect with people who understand everything we are going through and to be in a place of no judgement. People are often completely misinformed about WLS and honestly have no idea that their understand of it is just plain incorrect. I've been in this process with my surgeon's office since January, thinkinga bout this for over a year, and my surgery date is next Monday the 17th (only one week! wow o.o) and I have only told a few people in my life because I don't want to deal with the judgement and ignorance. I've pretty much decided to go ahead with the surgery, recover and lose weight and be healthy without telling most people in my life about what I'm doing, and just letting the results speak for themselves. Any person who has known me a long time and watched me struggle with my weight most of my life and is not simply happy to see me getting healthy is not a person I really need to confide in or trust anyway. :) Good luck! This work will all be worth it in the end.

Thank you @@Cervidae! I am excited to be here! Welcome to you too :) And congratulations on your surgery next week! I hope you will check in and let all of us know how it goes!

I have only told a small handful of people that I am close to about this surgery, and my coworkers since they will be affected by my absence. I trust these people to be discreet, but it hasn't stopped some of them from being naysayers. I am extremely worried about some of my relationships after this. Will my current fluffy friends be jealous of my weight loss and not be my friends anymore or treat me differently? Will my current skinny friends look at me differently? I know that I will be changing, but its for the better!

An another note, between writing the original post and this reply..MY SURGERY WAS APPROVED!! Now I just need a date and then I can start getting my mind ready that this is actually happening!

Congratulations! Sorry you have naysayers in the group. I totally understand that, since I've experienced it as well. I also have a lot of kinky friends who welcomed me into the community because of my body and I have a nagging feeling that some of them might be puzzled, or disappointed, or disapproving of my surgery and weight loss. In the end, though, I have to do what I want to do and what works best for me. :) Glad to hear about your surgery approval! When I got mine a few weeks ago I remember feeling surreal for a while. It wasn't just a possibility anymore, it was actually something that is happening. Crazy!

Hiya! I'm ten days away from my surgery and on a liquid diet. This forum has helped me too. I have two sisters who are petite little things. I've struggled with my weight since childhood. With every diet I lost and then gained even more. I have NO idea why anyone would think having surgery is the easy way out. I'm terrified. This is my last choice after trying everything else. I haven't figured out how to friend on here but would love to make friends!

I actually don't know how to do it either but here's my Facebook, feel free to friend me! https://www.facebook.com/abbylynn113 :)

@@mishi Hi! It's nice to meet you! I just went directly to your profile and added you as a friend so now we should be good to go!

I am so excited for you being 10 days out! I just got approved today for surgery and conveniently the patient coordinator at my surgeon's office is out today, so I will wait anxiously to talk to her tomorrow! LOL

I hear you with the struggling all your life, me too. I would lose, and then regain. What really pushed me over the edge was getting pregnant. With my first son I put on 30 lbs, never lost it. Then got pregnant again, gained more, never lost it, and then got pregnant the final time and gained even more weight. Being overweight hurts. You can't work out like "normal sized" people can and you can't breathe right, it just sucks. So this is where I am at today!

I want to be healthy for me and my family, my three boys especially. I want to be that cool mom who can roller skate or ride bikes or roller coasters with her kids without feeling embarrassed or have the fear of being humiliated or honked at or stared at or commented about. My friends tell me "who cares what other people think?" easy for you to say, you're not heavy. I used to not care until I had kids. Now they can get made fun of because of how I look and that kills me.

Anyways, now that I have friended you (and you @Cervidae) we can keep in touch and motivate each other and be support systems. Sound good?? :)

Hiya! I'm ten days away from my surgery and on a liquid diet. This forum has helped me too. I have two sisters who are petite little things. I've struggled with my weight since childhood. With every diet I lost and then gained even more. I have NO idea why anyone would think having surgery is the easy way out. I'm terrified. This is my last choice after trying everything else. I haven't figured out how to friend on here but would love to make friends!

n I also have 2 petite sisters they are supportive well after strongly suggesting I just get a Tummy Tuck lol ... But I to have had been on the roller coaster aka weight struggle since I was 12 .. I'm all nerves right now mixed with excitement I just can't wait to wake up after and start my journey.. I get my surgery on Wednesday the 12th..

Edited by lachellove

@@lachellove congratulations, so close!!! You will do fantastic!

thank you so much .. Yes it's close I'm so glad I'm here .. I love the support.

Thanks for adding me! And for the offer of support. I sure do need it and am more than happy to support you on your journey any way I can. I think we are making such a big life change we all need all the support we can get. :)

I've got a feeling the next few weeks are going to be a bumpy road for me!

@@mishi It will be a bumpy road I'm sure, but it will be incredibly worth it! Just look at how much healthier you will be in the long run. It's saving your life :)

It's my pleasure to be your support! Feel free to PM me or post here..whatever you need!

Congrats on taking the steps! My surgery is scheduled for 9/21 and I am certainly starting to get anxious! Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for adding me! And for the offer of support. I sure do need it and am more than happy to support you on your journey any way I can. I think we are making such a big life change we all need all the support we can get. :)

I've got a feeling the next few weeks are going to be a bumpy road for me!

That would be great. And test that's true we do need all the support we can get .. It's a mental challenge as well.