Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help---- how do I even start quitting things ....

It's time to fill out the paperwork and get focused towards mid October if all works out well to be sleeved... How do I stop Diet Coke? how do I quit coffee in the morning ? How do I stop sugar ? I know I can't come up to 2 weeks before surgery and quit everything there has to be a plan but I don't even know how to start .... Plus it seems like since I decided to have the sleeve done I Seam to be eating everything like I won't be eating again...ugh... I plan on getting back to the gym this weekend I quit before my vacation a few weeks ago have been going for about three months not really watching what I was eating but I was going to...... Any suggestions on what I should be eating right now preparing for October ...... I sure don't want to gain weight before then but I don't really know what to follow .... Weight watchers ....Atkins somewhere in between ...... I not tried to watch what I've eaten in over two years ....... Back up 40 of the 40 I originally lost ..... Seems like I can't seem to go under 200 and maybe this tool will help my question to you people is how do I start cutting out things What works for you ?

Help.....

????

Good luck. My suggestion is to pick one thing. Make small changes and conquer the easiest thing first. I just got my surgery date this week and I'm new to the forum, I have a lot of practice sat giving things up. And really those small changes are the easiest to do. I also recommend an accountability partner. Someone you won't lie to and who encourages you. Cit really does help.

Check out overeaters anonymous. It will free you from the bondage of food

I'd say, pick one thing at a time to work on and once you have that under control, add another. That way you won't get too overwhelmed.

Personally, I knew that I might murder someone if I had to kick caffeine at the same time as I was doing a liquid diet. So I started cutting back on caffeine slowly a few weeks before that--eliminating any extra sources beyond my morning coffee (like iced teas, Coke, etc.), then only drinking one big travel mug of coffee instead of two, then drinking from a slightly smaller mug, and so on until I cut out coffee completely. The pre-op diet was miserable enough as it was--I'm sooooo glad I wasn't going through caffeine withdrawal at the same time (as an extra crappy bonus, I started my period shortly after starting my liquid diet, too!).

Good luck! You can do it!

Oh, and also--going crazy with food when you've decided on surgery is totally a thing, referred to as "food funerals." I was doing a lot of that for awhile, then I decided that it wasn't going to help me any, but that I'd plan for a special meal once a week leading up to my pre-op diet, things that I wouldn't be able to eat again and wanted to say "goodbye" to. That worked well.

Those food funerals are tough. I kept doing the same thing before surgery. Just do your best and remind yourself that you will get to eat all these things again. It might be a while and certainly not in the same quantity but it does help curb the desire to eat everything you think you'll never get again.

Can you switch to caffeine-free coffee for a while and try to get used to it? Then maybe just start cutting back on the Diet Cokes. Baby steps.

Honestly, I gained 10 pounds before my surgery having food funerals (in a matter of 3 months). I was shocked & don't recommend it. I went cold turkey during the pre-op diet ( no coffee, no pop/soda, no fast foods) and surprisingly it was not that difficult, of course I had some bad moments-but overall I did pretty well.

I am nine months post op. I was able to have coffee a month after the surgery and I have enjoyed a lot of the foods I ate pre-op( just in smaller quantities & a lot less frequently).

If it's overwhelming, I recommend trying what others have suggested, one thing at a time.

Best of luck!

Well............

You have to start somewhere and the others are right about baby steps. It can't all be cold turkey, though. food funerals are a given, but they aren't gone forever; just greatly reduced. Greatly! Well....say goodbye to steak. Too tough. Hamburger is cheaper anyway.

Some things are a given. I would not give up my coffee, or cream....or sweetner. I did go de-caf for the period. I did give up my diet coke and DPs. Tough.

Don't tell my doc, but if you let the diet drinks go mostly flat, they are still DELICIOUS. And they don't hurt....later.

The pre-diet is important for what it does for your pre-op. It was explained to me that the liver had to be clean, etc. I get it. It worked great.

The worst part of it all is the liquid diet part. I hated it. I just don't like Protein drinks; I think they taste nasty and I tried all of them. broth was just as bad. I ate strained Chunky and Progresso Soup and got some "almost" Soup. As the weeks wore on after surgery I started "Frapping" the soup to get some substance into me. Just don't push it and screw up a great thing.

It sounds like I really cheated, but I gave up other things to make up for the things I needed. I was extra careful to not strain or stress anything. Just remember if you don't make some progress, they may just turn you down. A great motivator. When you have the goal of your surgery to look forward to in 6 months it sure makes a huge difference on your outlook. Its only 6 months.

Had my Sleeve in mid April and am down almost 70 lbs now. About 20 more to go before I start looking anorexic even though they say 40+.

I would do this again in a heartbeat. The road is a little rough getting there but the lifetime reward is fantastic.

Sure miss Chinese buffet though. Hahahah! Oh well, I still go and have my 1/2-1 cup worth. Delicious!

Chin up and get started. Build on it. Nobody expects 100% immediately.

Wil

I would say start slow. My personal opinion would be to start cutting bad foods out of your diet now. I have a horrible sweet tooth, so I am cutting out candy bars, drinks with calories, and ice cream. I am not so much on any particular diet as I am not trying to lose a bunch of weight during the pre-op phase. I want to lose about 7lbs before my liquid diet starts at the end of October. I still eat normal foods, and of course I slip and have some chocolate here and there, but I am trying. My main goal is no snacking between meals. As far as caffeine goes, I wouldnt say I am addicted or anything, I just enjoy the taste of diet soda. So far I haven't gave it all up yet, but I would say, start switching to Decaf so that you can kick the addiction now. Decaf coffee, caffeine free diet soda, etc.

My NUT and I discussed it each visit and she would recommend me cutting in half the things I eventually would have to give up, carbs, caffeine, sugar, soda!

I know is hard to stop all the not so good habits but as for coffee try to drink Decaf instead I bought maxwell decaf and is so good, also my thing is if I dont have it at home I wont drink it or eat it so I buy cases of Water , maybe Powerade zero.. I always look at the sugar in everything I buy also help to star looking at the labels is a process but with the help of your NUT you will learn alot.

I'm with @scout2014. It can be very overwhelming but you have to start changing habits one at a time. So try switching to Decaf coffee for 2 weeks then add a new habit like no drinking fluids during your meal and 30 minutes after and then in 2 weeks add another habit - small bites, putting your fork down between each bite, stopping eating after 20 to 30 minutes, getting in 64 of Fluid, etc. Diet soda was the last thing I gave up. I started about a month before surgery and went without for a couple of weeks (had switched to decaf soda over a year ago). Then during my ore-op liquid diet, I did have it some but 2 days before surgery was the last one. My dad always says when I have a big task ahead of me , "how do you eat an elephant ? - one bite at a time". So one habit change at a time.....

I would try substituting healthier options for your current ones. Try drinking Water instead of diet coke. Or crystal light. Maybe try herbal tea instead of coffee. I found that it wasn't the caffeine I needed in the morning, I just liked a hot drink. It's not easy, and I agree with everyone else, you can't change them all at once. But boosting your Water intake and going to the gym regularly are so important post surgery and getting in the habit now will make it a much easier transition.

As for sugars, now could be a good time to start checking out healthier sweet tooth foods. sugar free Popsicles are a favorite of mine, and sugar free pudding. I also found healthy choice makes 100 calorie frozen greek yogurts (little bit higher in sugar and carbs than my normal foods, but everyone needs a treat once in awhile!). Most important thing I found pre-surgery is record everything!!! Journal what time you eat and how much. Record how much water you're drinking, and how much you exercise. It can be really helpful to look back and reflect on what you did good and what you can improve on.

Good luck!!! You can do this :)

I'm right there with you. I gave up my diet cokes this week. I'm still having headaches. I hope to give up caffeine in another week. Then work on the sweet tooth. Surprisingly, I don't seem to be wanting as many sweets when I am not drinking diet coke. Hopefully this continues and isn't a temporary thing.

Good luck!

I'm right there with you. I gave up my diet cokes this week. I'm still having headaches. I hope to give up caffeine in another week. Then work on the sweet tooth. Surprisingly, I don't seem to be wanting as many sweets when I am not drinking diet coke. Hopefully this continues and isn't a temporary thing.

Good luck!

that actually makes sense. I saw thus article the other day that talked about what changes when you quit drinking soda, and sweet tooth cravings subside was one of the things it said. Also it said you taste things better. I never noticed that after stopping soda though lol