Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs Before Workout

Honestly I get scared by what I see some trainers doing with obese clients.

The high intensity jumping and lunging and other real aggressive stuff looks like a recipe for tendon damage.

Last time I was in the gym there was a mid-50's lady whose BMI was probably in my range. Her trainer had her jumping up on a box and jumping down. She wasn't hardly breathing with any rhythm and looked as if she was going to pass out.

She called a time out and walked over to the restroom area. I commented to the young trainer, "You aren't going to hurt her are you? Looks like an ankle breaker right there.". He replied back, "She needs to work".

I don't think many of these so-called trainers have a clue how to approach the obese in a lasting program that is safe. What seems to happen far too often is they hurt their clients and turn them off to ever coming back.

That would be me. I think part of it is on the person to speak up for themselves. Wen I first joined the gym my membership came with a few free personal training session. I joined for the aquafit class but I thought, why not. They tried that jumping on the box and I told them I have arthritis and a balance disorder, jumping ain't happening. After that they would ask me if I thought I could do something. I think a lot of overweight people think fitness is supposed to hurt and thus don't speak up.

As for eating carbs beforehand. I get the shakes if I don't eat before working out. Now That I eat better I wake up pretty hungry so I make sure to get that in.

I recently started going to the gym and doing both Cardio and Lifting. I was very concerned about what I should be doing, as it has been at least 18 years since I was in a gym. I found this site. http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/ It is a lot to read, but it made a lot of sense and helped me determine what I should be doing for now, until I get a better feel for working out. You can skip right to the sample beginner work out if you'd like. The rest of it is about the "why" of the workout. It also touches on eating before and after, but I agree with the previous comment that we are different than normal already healthy people. That said, I have about 3.5oz of non fat oikos vanilla yogurt with strawberries or 1/2 banana and about 4oz. of Isopure Protein Drink before my workout. Another 6oz of Isopure right after. Then around 45 min after my workout, an egg and some turkey sausage or something. The stuff before my workout is just to make me feel better about working out while not having an empty stomach. Probably more a placebo to me but it works. The post workout meal is probably much more important.

Before a longer run I usually have overnight oats (1/4 cup oats, 1/3 milk, half a container of yogurt and some peanut butter). That holds me well and gives me good consistent energy