Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time is needed post-op to return to work

I was wondering how much time others have taken off following their surgery. Did the doctor want to give a release before you return to work?

I took 3 1/2 weeks. After the first week the pain subsided quite a bit but I was very week, it took awhile to regain my strength. II needed a nap every day.

I have a desk job but a 40 minute car ride, so I didn't want to chance going back to soon. Besides, I had more then enough days.

Quite a few people I've talked to were able to return after a week. Ultimately, it depends on how quickly your body recovers.

Oops, having a hard time editing on my iPad. I meant I was very "weak".

I am not scheduled until November for surgery, however I plan on taking four weeks off. My surgeon will send the form that it is medically necessary, and I will be on FMLA and Short term disability. I hear that after about a week it is possible to return to work, however I want the extra time to adjust to eating differently and attend my post op appointments.

I'm a pre op, but I'm taking a full six weeks, not only to heal, but to adjust to a whole new way of life. My doctor routinely provides a note for work about the medical need for leave, and my work will require another note from him upon my return, indicating that I've been medically cleared to return.

I took 2 weeks in 2012 when I had my sleeve. I was ready to go back after a week in a half. With my revision to RNY and hernia repair, I plan on taking 4. I think this surgery may require a little more time for recuperation.

My doctor wanted me to get my sleeve on Wednesday and return to work the following Monday. He's of the opinion that if you stay home you can get yourself into trouble. Two girls where I work returned to work that quickly, but they both appeared to struggle a bit in the first week so I'm taking a week off to recover.

I am also scheduled in November. I plan to take 3 weeks off. Give or take a day or 2 if needed. I have plenty of time available and will also use FMLA. I want to make sure I am well adjusted and not sleepy or weak. Nothing is worse than trying to put on a happy face in front of customers when you dont feel well. Plus I have never taken any time off so my work is ok with me being gone.

My friend went back to work after 9 days and she was as good as new. Zero issues.

I personally am also taking 3 weeks off.

My body has not dealt well with surgery in the past and I want to make sure I get adequate healing time.

I never thought about taking a few extra weeks off to get use to the new eating lifestyle.

That in its own is going to be a challenge especially going back to work where people heat up their delicious smelling lunches, office table is full of deserts and fruits brought in the ladies.

I have applied for short term disability for 3 weeks with the option to extend

Surgery is scheduled for September 10th..