Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok... So I'm scheduled for surgery on August 31. I had my last appt with the surgeon on July 18. But for the past 2 weeks or so I have not been watching my food intake or exercising. I'm not motivated and don't have any energy to even walk. I've gained a couple of pounds. But I'm supposed to start my liquid diet on August 17 and I'm trying to stop the fast food eating and getting back to my healthy eating but I just don't see it happening. I started seeing a therapist to figure out my feelings with food. But leaving her office just leads to the nearest fast food joint i find... Smh... Somethings gotta give. I'm ranting on here to see if this might help and open up my eyes or even maybe deal with this issue that I'm going thru. I started out good too. My starting weight was 258 in April 2, I got down to 236 by June 4 and now I'm back up to 245. I NEED A SERIOUS WAKE UP CALL TO SMELL THE FLOWERS!!!!!!

You are right, you do need a serious wake up call. At least you see it. This surgery is just a tool. You can read that in almost every post of this group. If you are unable to make smarter choices about food it is all for nothing. The sleeve will not keep you from gaining weight if you are determined to do so. It will limit your intake at EACH meal but you can graze yourself into weight gain with it.

If you go for fast food after seeing your therapist, you have to ask yourself "why are you making those choices?" It is after all a choice what you eat. Is this therapist really helping you? Have you told them you are going for fast food after your session? Why are you still choosing to eat unhealthy food? What is it that is causing you to sabotage yourself?

Good luck and I hope you take a deep honest look at yourself and get answers to these questions!

@@Litzy, I am struggling with the same thing! I want to lose 30 lbs before my surgery, but all that I have been doing is gaining weight since I started this process. I completely agree with @@ShrinkingPeach when she stated that these eating habits need to be nipped in the bud. I am still working with a therapist but might need to attend a few Overeaters Anonymous groups before surgery to deal with my unhealthy relationship with food.

@shrinkingpeach.... Thank you....I know what I'm dealing with emotionally which is not an excuse... But is the reason why after I leave the therapist office I'm running too the fast food joint. Have I told the therapist this no not yet... But i will be sure to mention it... Obviously there is a deeper issue that I have to deal with.

@@jss1988 It's a daily struggle

I think that the thought of eating healthy has you feeling deprived. You are eating more unhealthy as a way of restoring balance. Stop thinking that you are going to feel deprived. Think that you will be satisfied with less and since you can't eat much you are gonna have put the right things in.

@MiamiBlue13... So it's like my brain is playing tricks on me. Since I know that I'm coming to the end of my way of eating my brain is in a way telling me no keep doing it.

It truly is. I started to lose weight on my own a few years ago and I was truly addicted to cokes and fast food. I would hit the drive through at least twice a day every day. When I made the choice to start eating better I would call my someone while I was in the car to have accountability and as sad as it was I was white knuckled gripping the steering wheel in tears as I drove past the numerous fast food places on the way to work. It took a while but little by little I have managed to break the addictions to get myself in the right place to be ready to do this surgery and be successful with it. If you have anyone in your life that you can call and have accountability with when you have the desire to eat junk I would suggest that you do it because it helps a lot.

It truly is. I started to lose weight on my own a few years ago and I was truly addicted to cokes and fast food. I would hit the drive through at least twice a day every day. When I made the choice to start eating better I would call my someone while I was in the car to have accountability and as sad as it was I was white knuckled gripping the steering wheel in tears as I drove past the numerous fast food places on the way to work. It took a while but little by little I have managed to break the addictions to get myself in the right place to be ready to do this surgery and be successful with it. If you have anyone in your life that you can call and have accountability with when you have the desire to eat junk I would suggest that you do it because it helps a lot.
That's not a bad idea... Thank you!!

Truth be told, I went through the same sort of experience. The closer I got to my surgery date, the worse I was eating. I had lost 30 lbs from December 2014 to March 2015, and then added 10 back before surgery.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the food portion too much. My experience has been so far, that I couldn't imagine eating fast food ever again. The thought of eating McDonalds, Taco Bell, KFC, makes me feel queasy just thinking about it. Just make sure you do the Pre-op diet....very important.

The exercise portion is where I would be concerned. You must be committed to exercise. Try your best at this point to get a 30 minute walk at any pace at least every other day.

I have always worked out, but post op especially since the weight is falling off, exercise has become even more important since I don't have my good old food to alleviate stress.

That last sentence from @@slvarltx is a great point. Maybe you are also using food either to alleviate stress or as an emotional fix. Find a replacement for those behaviors.

Until you can break they cycle try making the best choices you can when you do eat fast food.< /p>

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-eating/healthy-fast-food.html

I know when I used to eat fast food, I would zone out and order the worst things mindlessly. Try at least making a conscious decision to eat better when you do go. It will be a start until you can wean yourself off it.

Good luck!

The minute I made the decision to have the surgery, all of my habits went away. It was weird. I am a person that LOVES coke/pepsi & fast food. But now? I still love fast food, but I am 4 weeks out of the carbonation beverages. I been drinking unsweet tea, Water, lemonade, & juice. I find myself looking at the nutrition label & making sure it has Protein & not much sugar or 0 sugar.

I sitll eat too fast, but I decided since I gave up caffeine, now I will give up fast food. Then I will make sure my portions are smaller..

I think something 'clicked' inside of my brain & I am happy that I am making better choices.

I know how you feel though. Every time I made better choices, guess what? I went backwards b/c I wanted coke with the biggest burger at the fast food place. Then I would eat when I got home. My eating was out of control. In a way, it is still out of control. But I find myself telling myself out loud, NO. Whenever I want to cheat or do wrong, I just say outloud, NO. I find that is helping a lot.

I think you should tell your therapist how you feel. Don't keep your feelings inside.

Here if you ever need a ear.

Prayers for you & your struggles.

Thank you all for the encouragement... I really do appreciate it.

I have the same issues as you. Its an addiction. I've worried about this myself so I'll definitely be following your post. One thing I have noticed is some people that have already had the surgery say it doesn't bother them anymore. food they used to crave and wanted badly doesn't even appeal to them anymore. Obviously we cant go along with this and assume it'll work the same with us but it can give u hope there's light on the other side. As for food addiction groups...there's NONE around where I live, I've looked into it. I suggest you check into it and hopefully there's one near you. You CAN do this. Trust me I know its hard but imagine how you'll look after everything is said and done. Youre SO close ❤

Thank you glitterpockets (btw.. Love your username ????) Reading everyone's post does shed some light