Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is tentatively planned for August 20. I officially started the process the last week of May. If I don't have it then, the next best time appears to be The end of September or October. I'm making a list with my therapist of the pros for going ahead and having it earlier and a list of pros for having it later. I could use some help. What are your thoughts on the pros for one or the other?

I don't understand what a "con" would be of having it sooner? Or to look at it differently, why would you want to put off getting healthier for several months?

I think pros and cons are unique to the individual and their situation, and can include anything from financial obligations, family obligations, work obligations, and personal readiness. Only you know that.

However, the sooner you start losing weight, the sooner you start to feel better. Every day is the first day of the rest of your life, so I never believe in wasting that opportunity :)

Unless there is some personal obstacle that is causing you to hesitate then the sooner the better. Get going on that new healthy lifestyle. Good luck!

Sooner.

My only regret with WLS is that I didn't do it sooner. That's me. Not sure about you. If you have made up your mind to have the surgery for sure, I don't know why you would delay it. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes an jump.

August 20. next time - end of September or October

@@choosehope

have you really, definitely, without a question of doubt committed yourself to surgery??

sounds to me things are possibly moving along too fast for "YOU"

starting the process in May - surgery scheduled for august

maybe you just need a little more thinking/breathing time

it is good you are seeing a therapist to discuss/help you with the decision of when/or if you will have surgery

surgery is a forever deal, big, major operation, will change your life

there is no shame in deciding to wait a couple of months til you are more prepared

if none of the above apply to you............

having the surgery sooner than later would be my choice :)

you would be on the road to a healthier, happier, longer life sooner than later :rolleyes:

you "probably" will experience bumps, ups and downs. dreaded stalls :wacko:

in the long run, hopefully things will be as smooth as a babies bottom ;)

think it over carefully

make the right decision for YOU

whatever that is - it is ok by me ;)

good luck

kathy

Everyone always asks me if I regret having WLS. The only thing I regret is wasting more time being unhealthy. I wish I would have done it 10 years ago.

For me, I would do it sooner but only if I were mentally ready to move forward.

I am glad you are working with a therapist. If you are not ready to have this surgery, you should wait. The hardest thing about it is realizing the changes you must make to your lifestyle. I believe that is why most insurance companies require a 6 month supervised diet with either a nutritionist or a physician. You have to be in the right frame of mind to be successful.

Good luck and keep us posted! You will have support from this group in whatever decision you make for yourself!

You are lucky you do not have to wait 6-12 months like the majority of us have to wait. I started March 2012 and didn't have surgery till Nov 2012.

You sound from your post that you are not really sure you want this surgery. If this is true WAIT. Make sure you are ready Or you may regret your decision. I was sure I wanted this but my family, especially one son, was not. Now 2 and 1/2 yrs later and 90 lbs down they know it was the right decision. Follow your heart.

I definitely want this surgery and would very much like to go ahead and have it in August. While my psych has written a letter of clearance, he has asked me to think about whether or not I'm rushing this.

I know it may seem rushed to some since I just formally started this in May, but it's something I've been thinking about for a long time. That being said, I realize that in order for this to be successful that there have to be psychological and spiritual changes as well as physical.

I am a food addict. That is not something I say easily or lightly. It's not an excuse. It's my reality. I've turned to food like many turn to other substances to self soothe. I know surgery won't heal the addiction but it will bring me head to head with all the thoughts and emotions that contribute to the addiction. I do not want to sabotage this exciting opportunity by not being ready to deal with the addiction.

I think I can deal with it as I work thru the post-surgery stages. He wants to be sure my reasoning for August is solid, and so I'm undertaking a thoughtful process and writing the "pros and cons" not because I'm unsure but because I want to be sure that I'm doing it now in the right frame of mind.

I also benefited from seeing a therapist while I was doing my research and then through the surgery. You are doing all the right kind of preparation to ensure success. Whichever timeframe you choose, you are choosing yourself and your healthy future. This is such a powerful thing. I found that by putting myself first every one else benefitted, too -- wish I had understood that long ago. And, like many, I wish I could have had surgery years ago and addressed my issues around food. For me, having surgery made all the difference in terms of being able to stop turning to food for comfort, protection, reward, entertainment -- you name it! Working with a therapist helped me break down all the triggers. It was tedious as we got very specific but I'm glad to have done that. In electing to have surgery I was really copping to my behaviors in a new way and admitting just how serious were the implications of continuing along the path I was on. Best wishes to you -- you will do beautifully! And you deserve all good things.

Just want to add my two cents here. I am also a food addict so I know what it's like to eat because it's there..not because one is hungry. I was not in the right frame of mind when I had this surgery. I picked the lapband because I expected it to fail so I could just have it removed and finish eating myself to death. Can anyone say depression here? Well..to my surprise, the food demon was put to rest just enough for me to find success and lose around 150 lbs.

I'm not saying this is the way to approach WLS, but I just wanted to let folks know that even if you're not in the right frame of mind, you can still manage to be successful. I've told my sister this many many times as she is convinced that I lost the weight because of will power alone. Not true. I'm fortunate enough to have had the tool work and then make the good choices needed when head hunger comes into play.

Only you can really answer this question, but it depends on so many factors.

Have you seen your psych and feel that you are in a good place in your head or so you feel like you still have unresolved issues?

Remember this surgery will only cute your stomach from being hungry, it won't cure your head so if you are an emotional eater or a depressed eater or whatever, that problem is still there and needs to be addressed. Whether you address the problem before surgery, directly after surgery, or all along the way is up to you, but if you don't take the time to fully address the problems you already have to weight loss, don't expect surgery to fix them.

I was originally planning on a Christmas surgery because my hubby would be off work for a few weeks and I thought it would be the best for him, but as I'm going through the process, and talking to my husband about it, it's come to my attention that I ought to be thinking about me during this. Isn't it harder on me to wait when there's no reason instead of just getting it done and maybe making some visible progress by then? Will it really hurt him that much to take a couple days off to help with the kids while I attend to MY needs for just once? What would I gain from putting it off? Nothing. So as soon as I've completed my requirements I'm picking a date and doing this thing. I don't see any positives to waiting.

I have heard wls compared to Antabuse for alcoholics. It stops the

Problem initially but the hard work takes place after that but at least the person is dry. I think that's probably a good comparison for me. I'll update you all after I visit with my psych later this week. Thank you so much for all the words of wisdom!