Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting out, sharp ankle pain after walking?

Hi everyone. I've just discovered this site, am currently trying to lose on my own as my insurance does not make WL surgery an option although I am thinking it would be worth it to pay out of pocket for cosmetic work if I am successful.

Anyway, I am currently weighing around 270 and trying to walk daily. It doesn't seem like too much, I walk for usually two 20-minute rounds daily on a treadmill at 3.0-3.2 mph and a very slight incline. After the first week or so, I am finding that I have pretty sharp pains in my ankle. Not excruciating, but sharp where I'm limping a bit. I don't think it's a sprain as I don't recall any twisting or other accidents and it's not really swollen. I can't quite tell where it's originating from. Does anyone know if this is common for a very large person with no other injury history when they start a walking program? I don't want to be stupid and injure myself seriously,but if this is just typical I'll try to push through.

Thanks!

Edited by Betsyk68

Are you wearing the right shoes? I have one flat foot so I have to wear stability shoes or my feet hurt. This was a lot worse when I was heavier. You can go to a running store and they will analyze your gait. Something as simple as getting the correct shoe for the type of foot you have can significantly help with pain after walking.

I wouldn't think it was typical but maybe some good walking shoes might be worth the investment? Maybe it is the incline also since you are not used to it. Try waking with no incline to see if it still happens.

Great job getting a workout routine started!

You might want to get the ankle evaluated before continuing the treadmill.

There are a multitude of things it could be, some that might need specific treatment.

I, myself, have bilateral PTTD that requires me to wear custom braces. Without the braces, I would not be able to do most things, including walk, without increasing pain. With the braces, I have no pain and can do most things.

Better to have it looked at and maybe prevent a serious complication, or even just find out that all is well.

Good luck in your continuing efforts.

As far as the WLS, did you try to appeal? Some insurance will deny on the first try, in hopes that you won't appeal. If you have any comorbidities, include them with your appeal. If no comorbidities, maybe include letters from doctors, stating how WLS would be beneficial to your health.

I would recommend splurging and going to someplace like The Walking Company and getting fitted for a good pair of shoes. You want someplace that measure you gait and examines your feet and then makes recommendations. If the issue persist get it checked by a doctor.

Even though they may not pay for WLS, check to see if they will pay for an evaluation by a podiatrist or orthopedist.

I had all sorts of pains when I started walking every day. Ankle pain, shin pain, hip pain, back pain. Definitely make sure you have good shoes, but a big thing will be that your body is adjusting to doing more activity. My pains stopped occurring about 6 weeks in, the trick seemed to be to take a couple days off when something started hurting. It sucks because you are trying to get into a rhythm but it is important to let your body heal.

Wow, thank you all so much for the ideas. I actually have a doc appointment tomorrow for something else, so I will be sure to ask them to look at it. It's weird, because it's not swollen. As far as the shoes, it's just a generic pair of Nike walking sneakers. I noticed when I walked at the park yesterday, it seems that I plop my feet down harder on the treadmill, but that could be my imagination?

Also try super stretching your calf. And definitely get some good running shoes for your walking. Google sports podiatry medicine and see what they recommend for heavy runners. Also check your shoes to see if they wear on the outside edge or the inside edge. If the outside then you are prone to supination (or under pronation), if on the inside over-pronation, if in the middle its better. Definitely worth a visit to a podiatrist for some custom orthotics. You can go have your gait analyzed at a running store which could help. You should also be switching your shoes out about every 6 months or so many miles. It may take less miles for those of us at this size to wear down the cushioning etc in a good pair of shoes. I struggle with ankle and knee issues also and have told quite a few people that I am getting surgery "for my knees" (which is actually true). I am:-)

Be careful of stress fractures, I broke my ankle many years ago and have stress fractured since. Not worth it since my ankle is double to triple sized today.

Hi there and way to go on your exercise program! I hope your doctor can help assess your pain and also I hope you are able to find a way to work with your insurance company.

My SOLE brand inserts are better than the custom orthotics I shelled out for but I still have issues with one ankle. In my case it's an IT Band issue (outer thigh) kicking off pain in the ankle. I have a roller for that hip and thigh that helps but I'm also seeing a massage therapist who is digging in to that area. Ouch!

Thanks! Doc says she doesn't see anything obviously wrong. I got more information really from the running store I went to (great help!) He said my ankles turn in when I walk so he grabbed shoes with stabilization, and that for now, I would do better to walk more but do it every other day instead of every day. He gave me other suggestions for walking, too. Oh, and my shoes were a tiny bit short in length, so he bumped me up half a size. I'm hoping this makes a difference. On the upside, I had lost 26 lbs. in the last two months!

My ankle area and lower calves tend to tighten up and cause pain, much like sprains. I found that my main problem was that I walked flat footed! Try doing an exercise of standing on your toes near a wall in reps like weight training. It will strengthen that area. Another good exercise and stretch is rolling something like a towel into a tight tube and standing with your feet balancing on the tube, not touching the ground. The stabilization your body goes.through with this is what helps make your ankles stronger. You can also try ace wraps during exercise. I fractured my foot and did that for quite some time for walking to work, and it helped my ankles, too.