Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blurred Lines, Blurred Perspective, Both?

I'm a little over two years post op and throughout this journey I've constantly struggled with finding that LINE where I'm always mindful of my choices but yet don't obsess over them, where I can live my new life but my new life doesn't control or change every aspect of ME. So, a few months ago I decided to take a HUGE step out of my comfort zone and chose to let my "new norm" do it's thing which to me meant not coming on this site, not counting calories, not journaling my food, you know the things I thought healthy people didn't worry themselves with.

This was a huge eye opener for me! During my hands off approach I flexed 5lbs which isn't the end of the world, it doesn't mean I failed, it just means that I need more accountability in my life then what some others may require to maintain a life-long healthy lifestyle.

Lessons Learned:

The hands-off approach isn't right for ME!!!!

I HAVE to hold myself accountable!

I can't do whatever I want; I can't eat whatever I want; I can't act like I've never had a weight problem; I can't stop doing my part and expect I'm going to stay where I'm at for the long term.

I'm only as good as my plan so living without one means DISASTER! Throwing everything into the wind made the lines and my perspective blurry, it got me off course.

I HAVE to remember to stick to the basics!!!! When I get off course I have to get back to the basics. They're what got me where I am today and they're going to be what keeps me here.

Through all of this my band was still true to me and continued to do it's thing it's ME who stopped doing my part, the part that made ME get to where I am now and maintain it for over a year!

I have to journal my food so I can see those less than perfect choices glaring back at me, not for punishment but for a reminder of what I need to do to get back on track.

I have to have an idea of the calories, grams of Protein and oz. of Water I've consumed. I don't have to be exact about it but I have to have an idea.

We all need encouragement and what a better place to get it than from a site filled with others who are going through the same journey and can relate to all of your victories and struggles.

Be true to yourself.

Know your strengths and weaknesses!

I'm getting these Damn 5lbs off:-)

The point of my post is to say it's ok to still be figuring out your course no matter how far along you are in your journey. I've read on here over and over about people who just live their new life without counting calories or journaling and they have a history of GREAT sustainable success but I can't so now when I read these posts I don't have to wonder if this is something I should be doing, I've been there done that it doesn't work for me, I know what does, stick with it.

This little band around my stomach has done amazing things in my life!!!! It's removed the weight of an entire adult person from my 5'1" frame, (I've lost more than I weigh). I'm healthy and I feel better then I have in my ENTIRE life. I look forward to new experiences, I no longer have to worry if the airplane seatbelt is going to fasten or if I'm going to fit in a space, I can play and run and keep up with my kids and our busy lives. I could go on and on but at the end of the day this is the one of the BEST decisions I've made in my life.

Stay the course and fight the fight. If you fall get up, brush yourself off and be better than you were before!!!!

I'm not post op yet, but I already feel that if I truly want long term success, I will always need to be mindful of my ways. And that will include recording my food intake and calories, a regular exercise regimen, getting in the proper elements of Protein and Water, and first and foremost never getting complacent enough that I forget how awful it feels now, being this size, and how it has adversely affected my health and social interaction.

I plan to never forget where I came from, and just how easily I can make a return trip.

Yes you can NEVER forget where you came from if expect never to go back! I vowed when I got this surgery that I would NEVER go back to that miserable place again and I'm sticking with that!

I'm so glad to see you here! Very wise words.

Thank you for the encouragement!

When you are away many people miss your inspiration!! I am a year out and have been feeling bad because I didn't reach the personal goal I set for myself on the scale. My son had to set me straight by reminding me that even though I may not have lost a certain amount of weight I have made many changes in my lifestyle for the better and I am healthier than I have been in years. So keep your posts coming because I for one look forward to them and learn much from you????

@@MarvyMimi thank you so much for your encouragement, you just made my day! Your son is absolutely correct, you've come so far and have done great things in a year. The number on the scale is just that, a number that should never be used to measure your self worth. You didn't hit your number in a year, I know that can be discouraging BUT it's not a biggie because your band is with you for life and because of the wonderful life changes you've already made you now have more time (years) to hit that goal and I have no doubt YOU WILL!!!!