Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I crazy for going on vacation 11 days after surgery?

Right now my surgery is scheduled for August 11th and our family vacation is August 22-29. It is a low key vacation since we just rented a house on a lake for the week for our family and my husbands family. I don't anticipate swimming since I haven't been in a bathing suit in years. I planned on just hanging out with the family and spending time with our nephews new baby and helping some of the younger ones fish at the lake. I will be 2-1/2 hours from home. I need advice. Should I postpone the surgery? How did you feel 11 days post-op? Any tips or advice is appreciated!

I did a job interview 12 days post-op. I did fine, but by the time I was done (it was a 2 hour interview) I was so exhausted I couldn't even think straight... for what that's worth. I'd recommend not driving yourself and doing what you can to walk walk walk and sleep sleep sleep

Lake vacation with family sounds relaxing and therapeutic if you don't have to prepare meals for everyone:) I think I would prefer it how the way you have planned, rather than being pre-op and if you're like me be consumed with thinking about the upcoming surgery etc...

Thanks! I plan on doing as much walking at the lake as I can. My husband is driving and I am getting my 4 boys to help pack. They are ages 10, 14, 23 and 25.

Funnily enough I was just chatting to the hubster this evening and suggested we rent a cottage two weeks after the op and just taking the youngest (hes 17) and the dog, a few days away would be lovely... Just take it one day at a time and see how you feel :D

Kate

Edited by ukkateuk

Your vacation sounds relaxing. If you do plan on swimming, make sure your incisions are fully closed and just check with your surgeon to make sure it's ok. Also I don't know what your diet will be two weeks post-op but for me I was full liquids and starting puree. Make sure you bring the food you will need for whatever stage of eating you will be on and your Vitamins and pills. Have fun :)

bodyweight.png?ts=1437225406

I went to the shore with friends for a few days about 2 weeks post op, and it was nice. I was able to walk every day and relax as focus on getting my fluids and stuff. I drove myself, about 3 hours, and it wasn't too bad.

There were a couple of times where I was bummed that I couldn't eat what everyone else was eating (there was a Greek salad that looked soooooo good), but overall, I was happy with my 1/4 cup of soft Protein and my Protein shakes.

Thanks everyone! This sounds promising. I was afraid I was being unrealistic since the nurse at my surgeons office was totally against it and thought I was out of my mind. I think it will be relaxing and good to recuperate at the lake. I just pray I am not faced with any complications. My husband is very supportive. I am not telling anyone else. I'll have to just tell everyone I had surgery and skirt the details with humor. Maybe vaginal rejuvenation will make them laugh and not ask any further questions! We have a fun and funny family.

My husband is very supportive. I am not telling anyone else. I'll have to just tell everyone I had surgery and skirt the details with humor. Maybe vaginal rejuvenation will make them laugh and not ask any further questions! We have a fun and funny family.

Lol!!! Go on, I dare you :D

Sounds like you will be in a relaxing place. Get lots of rest, walk and continue your protien and Water. Also keep your after care hot line handy and chart how far the hospital is just in case. Otherwise doesn't sound like you going a heavy vacation with the fam. Also check with your doctor about submerging your belly in water. At my two week visit my doc still forbid me from submerging my belly for another 2 weeks. Due to the incisions

Right now my surgery is scheduled for August 11th and our family vacation is August 22-29. It is a low key vacation since we just rented a house on a lake for the week for our family and my husbands family. I don't anticipate swimming since I haven't been in a bathing suit in years. I planned on just hanging out with the family and spending time with our nephews new baby and helping some of the younger ones fish at the lake. I will be 2-1/2 hours from home. I need advice. Should I postpone the surgery? How did you feel 11 days post-op? Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Thanks for posting this question. My 1st born is going off to college 11 days after my surgery. His school is only a 2 hour drive and my hubby will do all the driving and they will handle the heavy lifting. I'm more concerned with my energy level. Will I be up to helping organize his room?

I'm sure you will be able to do some. I wouldn't lift anything if I were you! I helped my friend take her daughter last year and we were there just long enough to bring her stuff up, make the bed and unpack her clothes. Maybe 30 minutes. She really didn't want us to linger lol. Bittersweet time for you. Congrats!

You might not have all the energy you wish you could have, but you will be ok as long as you stay hydrated, extremely important drink your fluids as prescribed. I have my done last Tuesday and am now just feeling better ☀️

I'm sure you will be able to do some. I wouldn't lift anything if I were you! I helped my friend take her daughter last year and we were there just long enough to bring her stuff up, make the bed and unpack her clothes. Maybe 30 minutes. She really didn't want us to linger lol. Bittersweet time for you. Congrats!

Bittersweet is right but I'm so proud of him. Thanks for the well wishes.