Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Often I hear or read the following statements:

I can't drink another Protein Shake

I can't drink Water it tastes bad

I can't drink so much water it makes me pee a lot

I want to lose but these spaghettios cost $1 a can and I need cheap lunch

Oh I can't eat that it tastes bad

These Vitamins are gross

Blah, Blah, Blah

Okay, some of these are from my co-workers and some are from BP. Grow up people! The diet industry is an over $1Billion industry, yeah that's billion with a "B". In what world do you diet to lose X pounds and then eat what you want when you are done and not gain it back?? Really? That's rocket science?

If you were told you were going to die and all you had to do was drink 3 Protein shakes a day for say 2 weeks, would that change your attitude? Bet you would find a way to like them then. No one said you have to drink them plain you just have to watch what you add so you don't add sugar or calories. It's called google people.

Yeah water can be boring or maybe even harsh on your tummy. Add something like Mio or fruit to it, it changes the molecular structure as well as the taste. Or you can go ahead and drink diet sodas and pretend they are not a problem, your choice.

Of course the water makes you pee, it is flushing out bad stuff and cleaning your kidneys. It won't do that forever, the body will adjust. Or you can stop drinking and dehydrate your body and keep your weight since you like it so much!

The girls in my office are ALWAYS dieting. None of them need to lose more than maybe 12-20 pounds but they are always trying the next fad diet, taking diet pills intermittently, doing the latest workout videos etc. Then every other day I see them dipping into the ranch dip, eating fried Chik Fil A, eating ramen noodles, eating spaghettios!!, drinking sweet tea. I really don't care what yu eat it is your choice but really?? Do I have to hear you complain about your weight while you are eating that stuff. I actually watched a co-worker eat her tuna for lunch yesterday and then when a co-worker was finishing up, she made a mini sandwich with 2 waffle fries and put pickle slices in the middle. WTH?

I see a ton of complaints about vitamins on here. I take 2 chewable Bariatric Advantage vitamins a day (one in the morning and one at night), I take 2 500 mg Calcium chewables (one morning and one at night), I take sublingual B-12 twice a week. I will gladly do the chewables because for my newly sleeved stomach they absorb better when chewed. They actually taste pretty good to me. I WOULD MUCH RATHER TAKE VITAMINS THAN INJECT MYSELF DAILY WITH VICTOZA FOR MY BLOOD SUGAR!! I knew I was going to have to take vitamins BEFORE I had the surgery so why complain now?

Okay, I feel much better! Thanks for listening, empathizing or just plain laughing! All reactions are welcome! Putting away my soapbox now, carry on!

Girlie

Agree 100%. When I see "can't" on here, too often I am afraid it really means "I prefer not too".

I know there are rare instances when someone has an allergy or other physical impediment. But, too often it is just discomfort.

As my surgeon pointed out right before surgery, if you passed your leak test after surgery, there is no physical reason you cannot drink three 11oz premier Protein shakes in one day.

I could go on. Maybe I am lucky (or just lived long enough to gain some experience) but most of what it takes to succeed is attitude-related.

I was so proud of myself when I did my liquid diet and did not cheat. Never thought I had the will power for it. I now realize that it not only shrinks your liver but it prepares you to start your new journey.

I never ate cottage cheese before; I eat it now becuase it has a good amount of Protein in it.

I hate most Protein water; I drink it because I need the help with protein.

I'm horrible with taking my vitamins; I always have been but recently set up reminders for these.

I loved Pasta and potatoes pre-op; Haven't had them becuase it's not recommended.

Most things in life are a choice.

ill ay this, many people look at themselves as victims. they aren't fat they are big, or plump or whatever, or its my metabolism, its my ( insert ailment , syndrome, etc)

When you dont take responsibility for who you are and what you do, it becomes very easy to simply blame everything as too hard, too this or too that.

Now the only saving grace here is when you do own up and make the choice within yourself to grab the reins and pull yourself out of this negative victim hole, you look back and want to slap yourself for being so blinded the whole time. Unfortunately i see a lot of posts by people where you can tell they will never see the truth in front of them, and they are already on that slope to failure. So many successful people on here that truly inspire, like Alex, lipstick lady, cowgirl, babbs,etc ( no offense to those i didn't list.) these people have such confidence about their future because they have taken ahold of their issues with both hands and willed themselves to be successful.

I don't say I can't drink Water because it tastes bad. I say I don't want to drink Water because it tastes bad. I can say that if I choose to - it's a free country after all - but I also am still drinking it. Sometimes I will still be complaining about having to do it but I will still do it.

It's just like going to work every day. I don't want to but I have no choice. I have to have money to live on so I have to go to work. I have to drink the water to lose the weight. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Years ago I moved from Michigan to Georgia. It was my decision and I was tired of being cold. I knew going in that summers in Georgia would be hot. I made up my mind then that I would not allow myself to complain about the heat. I could comment on it, observe it, remark on it, but NEVER complain about it.

It irritates the hell out of me when my co-workers talk endlessly about their current diet and fitness routine. What really bugged me was when they would confide in me (someone that was morbidly obese at the time) about feeling fat, when in fact they are not at all. What are you suppose to say? "Sure, you are fat! Let's just be fat buddies together!" or "Why don't you stand next to me so you can feel skinny!"

If you are having trouble with your weight, it would make sense to seek advice from someone who is a weight loss success. I put much effort into not discussing diet and exercise with anyone except my doctor, nutritionist, and on this forum. If someone seeks advice from me, then that is different. However, I will not turn into one of those people that constantly talk about it. It's so narrow minded and annoying.

Certified, licensed complainer here. I think it's perfectly fine for people to say they "can't" do this or that. Who knows? Maybe they really can't!

I know I can't take living through winter and snow storms for too much longer but I also can't imagine living so far from Manhattan....so I'm finding a happy medium.

Same thing for those who "can't" do their Vitamins or Water. If they really want to be healthier they'll find that sweet spot.

Maybe they say these things not to be self defeatist but in hopes to get new suggestions? Not sure.

I do know I kept saying I can't take this fat anymore.....

Edited by tomi71

@@ShrinkingPeach

Good rant. And so true.

Lipstick Lady posted a thread not too long ago about whether it was cheating or a choice? We make choices every day, but I also understand there are some deeper issues about WHY we make the choices we make.

But in the end, it IS all about the choices we make. We got fat because of the choices we made, and we will get healthy with the choices we make. Are they always easy? No, but I am quickly learning that delayed gratification is not something easy to practice for current or formerly obese people, and we don't like anything that makes us feel uncomfortable, such as drinking Water or exercising when we don't want to. Seems to be a common trait among us.

This WLS thing ain't for sissies. You have to learn to delay gratification, do things you don't want to do, and learn to be uncomfortable sometimes. But the rewards are so worth it.

For the most part I agree. But in my experience, it does take some experimenting. For instance, it took me at least four different brands of Protein Shakes before I found one that I liked. I still drank the nasty ones on my search - but it was hard. Now, even though I'm three months out I still drink my Unjury shake every day because I love them! And the chewable vitamins literally made me throw up. Vitamins aren't much good if you puke them up! But I found nutrametrix, which is a powder form of Vitamin you mix with Water. It tastes like orange juice. That's why these forums are so important. Even if you do get on here and complain, someone may have the insight that will make your life easier. A new Protein Shake to try, a water flavoring, a new exercise routine, etc. I hope my experiences help make this journey a little easier for someone, as others' experiences have for me.

@@ShrinkingPeach

A bit harsh but quite true. Imagine a waffle fry and pickle sandwich? Yes, a lot of what we must do for our health we don't "like", but as the saying goes "it is what it is."

Well there is a difference between i cant take the taste of these Vitamins, and my body wont tolerate these Vitamins.

Like I cant remember to take my vitamins-Solution, set a reminder, in a book, set an extra alarm clock, whatever it takes.

I cant drink these shakes- SOlution, go to a store near you and try samples. Heck thereis a huge thread here on BP that shows all the places you can get free samples. Ive had so many it isnt funny!

Also listen to toher people as to why they like a certain type of shake, and try preparing it differently. for example.

Mocha Latte shake

1 packet ( or scoop) of Syntrax sweets chocolate truffle

1/3 scoop of Syntrax Cappuccino

4 ice cubes

6 oz of 1% or skim or unsweetened almond milk.

Blend until ice is crushed.

Yumm!

Or

Half and Half Summer cooler

1/2 packet of ( or scoop) of syntrax Roadside Lemonade

1/2 packet( or scoop) of syntrax iced tea

4 ice cubes

6 ounces of Ice cold Water

Blend

Yumm

We all have favorites. the knowledge is out there. use it!

We are all glad to help, but if you come in defeated before you give yourself a chance to win, whats the whole point

@@Inner Surfer Girl and @@Babbs, I knew you would both get it. For the rest your comments have definite merit. Yes, if you dislike the shakes you have tried and want feedback on new ones to sample, ask away. The people I am referring to are the ones who say, I just can't drink another shake. That to me sounds like won't or don't want to.

Anyone who has a physical or medical reason that they cannot do something is a whole different situation, but those people are not whining they are just sharing.

We all know the ones I am talking about and yeah maybe my post was a bit harsh but I am not one to sugarcoat things. I want to be nice but lets get real here. Some of the posts here are insane with what they say. Just today I responded to a post where someone complained that if they share they cheated they get yelled at here. Well do you want a support group that "supports" you into repeating your bad habits??? Really?

I for one am looking for the advice of the long termers and I read their posts religiously and I don't want sugar coating myself. I want real talk about how to succeed here not placating so my feelings don't get hurt.

Thank you to Babbs, Miss Mac, InnerSurfergirl and others who keep it real.