Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and struggling - need advice

Tuesday I was 3 weeks out and I am starting to 2nd guess this decision. I lost about 19 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I have not lost a pound in the last 12 days. I am usually eating around 800 calories and no more than a 1000. I have walked somewhere in the neighborhood between 5-8 miles everyday. Based on numbers there is no way I shouldn't be losing. Yesterday I sanded a garage in the heat and still didn't lose. I feel pretty good as long as I take my Vitamin and I am active, and I couldn't overeat if I tried. My only issue is it is hard for me to get enough Protein in. I am usually around 40-50 grams. Any advice?

Use the search function here and look for the phrase "three week stall" -- you will find that this is something virtually everyone goes through about 3 weeks out. You are not doing anything wrong. Your body is taking some time to rest and recuperate after a drastic shock. The scale will start going down again, I promise you. Don't expect your weight loss to be a linear plunge down -- most people, as they go through weight loss, find that their weight loss graphs look like crazy stair steps designed by a drunk. Our bodies are not calculators, and they don't always behave with mathematical precision. It can be frustrating, but don't let it stress you out. Maybe stay off the scale for a while if it is making you crazy. But I promise you, stay on plan, this is a temporary blip.

Also, promise yourself to come back here in a few months and answer one of these sorts of posts. I am not kidding when I say there is a post every.single.day by someone who is freaking out because somewhere between two and four weeks out from surgery, their weight loss has "stopped" even though they aren't doing anything wrong. Maybe even go make some pre-emptive, informative posts on the pre-op forum so that not so many people are unaware of this phenomenon!

Bufflehead is correct; and so are you. There is no way you cannot lose the weight at the activity level and calories you are eating. But it doesn't come off like clockwork; it takes it's own little time because indeed your body is adjusting and healing and doing what it needs to do to keep your organs working. As for the protein; you're doing fine; yes you should be getting a bit more especially at this stage while you are healing; so you may want to go for a Protein 'shot' (as in a shot glass) once a day. Good luck and when you check in next time, you will be feeling better. AND BTW, when was the last time you lost 19lbs in 2 weeks??

stalls, they suck and they happen i just got through another one at 6 weeks out, hide the scale, do your thing and realize that every day you have a little more energy and a are feeling a little better

i am still unable to hit more than 700 calories so good you are being able to eat so much so quickly!

congrats on your loss!

Unfortunately you are going through the 3 week stall. Your body is going through a resting phase. I guarantee that one day you'll get on the scale and you'll drop like 5 lbs, because that's what happened to me. I hate stalls, but I guarantee you're losing inches though, even if the scale isn't moving. Hang in there your doing great. 19 lbs is awesome!

Protip: Your body is not like a car -- burning gasoline at predictable rates, with the "scale" dropping in a more or less straight line. It really doesn't work like that at all. Not even close.

You and your body are now engaged in a very sophisticated biochemical and physical dance with many twists and turns and leaps and crouches.

You certainly didn't "earn" (in terms of calories in / out) a 19-pound loss in 14 days. Point is, the scale will move in a Jerky fashion in the coming months. Some weeks you may lose nothing. Then in one day you may lose 5 pounds.

That's simply how this works. For everyone. Including you.

Stalls are very normal and to be expected. That said, your Protein sounds really low. What is your protein goal? If you get in at least your protein goal and all your fluids every day you should be fine. Just stay off the scale if stalls are going to bother you.

Yes...you're in the three week stall! I stalled there and it lasted for six weeks for me. Called my NUT and she said keep up the Protein, add 100 calories of "good fats" (olive oil, avocado, etc.), stick with the program. I started losing again at about 8 weeks out. I DID lose inches during my stall, though. I think during that time I was burning fat and buildng a lot of muscle which weighs more than the same volume of fat. Adding muscle is very important to in order to get your metabolism burning better. So maybe try not to focus for the moment on the pounds and more on overall fitness? If you stay the course, it will come off eventually! Keep up the great work. 19 lbs. in a couple of weeks is totally excellent!

Edited by LovinSoul

Hi Titan, You have gotten... some good advice. Just a heads up, this forum is for Vets... those farther than one year out from surgery. I'm going to move this to general advice where everyone can comment for you. The three week stall stinks!

I'm 5 months out today, and I'm in a bit of a stall on the scale this week -- BUT my trainer has kicked my behind the last few weeks, and all my clothes are too big. Point being -- the scale is not the only measurement of our success!!

I am almost two months out and only weigh on Mondays. Sometimes it goes down and once it actually went up, don't ask me how! I usually see about a 5 pound per week drop but I understand it doesn't always happen like I want.