Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight at year 3 post VSG, HELP????

To give you a back ground to my story. I have a history(hx) of 4 back surgeries(sx) & 4 jaw sx with instrumentation. After a failed Lumbar fusion. I suffer from chronic back pain & myofacial pain and gained a lot of weight due to inactivity, previous weight issues and multiple steroids injections. I was taking 17 meds most for pain management. My MD recommended I have a Morphine pump implanted for pain management which I refused as I thought it was too drastic. I researched the VSG as it was also advised. Co-morbidities going to the VSG were: hypothyroididm, HTN, diabetes,chronic pain, chronic migrains, TMJ, GERD, gastritis.

I had the first VSG on 6/2012. Phase 1 & 2 were ok did well with liquids and pureed foods, although I was extremely weak. Lost 12 lbs the 1st wk. 2wks following was down 25lbs. Went on to phase 3 to introduce soft foods. As I started doing that I began having severe reflux. To the point the food was backing up, it was violent. As if the food could not come down my stomach. The MD ordered upper GI series & Barium Swallow. It revealed a 4mm stricture & Hiatal Hernia that developed. By this time I could not hold anything down but liquids. Lost about 65lbs.

So I had to have a VSG revision and a Hernia repair. This was done 7/12/13. After the 2nd VSG the reflux dwindled to zero and I lost up to 95lbs up to November of 2014. During September and the months following until Jan 2015 I had a series of 6 epidural injections for back pain and cortisone for shoulder pain. I always have been very sensitive to steroids and tend to gain weight with it. ***From November of 2014 until Jan 2015 I gained 20 lbs. I went to my PCP in Nov weight 131 and in Jan I weighted 150. Of course I knew I had gained because I weigh myself weekly but I don't know how I gained the weight.

*there was no change in my eating habits.

*my labs were recent and normal.

*no change in meds or dosages.

*I still document EVERYTHING I eat daily. I use My Fitness Pal.

*I weigh my portions. 800-950 calories average.

*I don't eat junk or juices or breads, rice, Pasta, grains. All eliminated.

*Drinking one Protein Shake per day.

*meeting my Protein goal of 70gm and under 80 carbs a day

*drink about 6 glasses of Water a day.

I have gone back and reviewed ALL the material I was given. I contacted the NUT. She stresses to stay under 80gm of carbs to loose weight. Don't count calories but stay under 1000. I usually average 800-950.

I CONSIDERING IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE INJECTIONS. I cut back on portions. I eliminated some foods in was eating.

I was testing some menus on MFP that were at about the 50gm carb range. To see what I could eat. Basically I would have to go backTo 2 shakes a day and one meal.

My BIG PROBLEM is that I take 17 meds a day. Which means that the GERD condition returned & I'm now having reflux almost daily. What I had to do before is take the meds with milk every 4hrs which ups the carbs. My sx office said yesterday to see the Gastro. If they confirm the GERD is too severe which they told me is a risk with the VSG, then they would recommend I have a recession to a RNY.???? I NEED to STOP THE 6GAIN, loose 30 lbs TO MEET GOAL, get the GERD UNDER CONTROL, cause I can't stop taking the other meds. HELP!!!????????????

I can't help with your question but just wanted to offer support during what must be such a dreadful time. You are amazing, in that you have still worked so hard even with all your problems hitting you daily. I really do admire your strength and hope you get it sorted soon, you deserve it!!

~ Gentle Hugs ~

Kate

I seriously think you should consider the revision to RNY. If you aren't the perfect example of someone who needs a revision because of GERD and other problems, I don't know who is.

I'm so sorry you are and have had to go through all that. You're a strong person. Stronger than I would be.

Good luck and keep us posted! Hang in there!

I'm so sorry that you have had so many health issues and complications. I am 2 years out and recently gained 15 lb and I went to the doctor and found out that I had several hormonal imbalances and PCOS. Perhaps a visit to see an endocrinologist for a full hormone evaluation would be a good idea and make sure your thyroid is functioning properly. These things can easily cause weight gain. Also it sounds like the RNY is the way to go, the quality of your health and life are the most important things to be focusing on!

I'm so sorry that you have had so many health issues and complications. I am 2 years out and recently gained 15 lb and I went to the doctor and found out that I had several hormonal imbalances and PCOS. Perhaps a visit to see an endocrinologist for a full hormone evaluation would be a good idea and make sure your thyroid is functioning properly. These things can easily cause weight gain. Also it sounds like the RNY is the way to go, the quality of your health and life are the most important things to be focusing on!

First off my heart goes out to you with such an extensive medical history, and chronic extreme pain. I can't imagine how agonizing it must be on a daily basis.

There are so many contributing factors to your symptoms that's it's hard to say if a revision to a RNY would bring about the results you're hoping for. It's going to be a blind risk either way, with no guarantee of improvement.

But I will say this. There are some who chose the sleeve and then started suffering severe GERD/reflux issues afterwards, who then revised to the RNY and experienced a marked improvement. I had never even known it was a possibility myself until reading the posts here. It's part of the reason why I switched my decision from sleeve to RNY myself. Which I'll be getting in a short while.

Let me stress that GERD doesn't happen to everyone, but when it's *you*, I know you'd do anything to get away from its devastating effects. It is not a pleasant way to live.

I hope whatever you decide in the end that it brings you the answer you are seeking. Good luck!

Edited by The Candidate

Thanks. I'll see what the gastroenterologist says and the surgeon's recommendation and go from there. In the mean time I'm lowering my carbs down from 80 to 50 to see what happens. Thanks for the response. I'll keep you all posted.????

Unfortunately I was not advised the GERD could get worse. Originally my doctor was going to perform the RNY but at the last minute he changed his mind and said he thought it was best for me to have the VSG. Since I was on the fence I agreed. I mean he is the doctor and should know best. Little did I know I would end with all the complications. ???? But believe me this time I am drilling every one I see for information. I would have a revision to a RNY if I have a good chance of getting better & jerking the weight down. I had labs recently with a metabolic panel and my thyroid is ok. So I know is not that. ????

I understand completely what you are going through with the pain. I'm in the same place with my back same issues and similar treatment. I'm so sick of pills. I did the sleeve to hope that the weight loss would help me take less meds. I pray they find a solution to help you live a more normal life. Living with chronic pain is not living.