Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve lose more slowly?

I had my band taken out in 2012 and scheduled for the sleeve on Aug 12. So you think I still qualify as a revision? I've gained all that I lost with the band and then another 50 or so.

To my knowledge it depends on your insurance.

My insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery. I was trying (not very successfully) to ask, in regards to this thread, is one considered a revision of it's been 3 years since the removal and, therefore, possibly slower weight loss? Or is a revision when you have band removed and sleeve surgery at the same time?

Judyd,

I think what you are asking is after your band was removed 3 years ago and your upcoming sleeve surgery, will you still have slow weight loss with the sleeve or is the slow weight loss because you get both surgeries done at the same time or closer to each other. A very good question. The little I've read and understand is that a WL surgery patient's metabolism changes in time, thus, weight loss slows down. Because you had this time gap between surgeries and have also gained weight you may be a normal weight loss candidate as if you were getting WL surgery for the first time and I say this because your metabolism again has changed since the band was removal and the weight gain. Now, I'm just completely guessing this and am now curious. Please, anyone out there correct me or does anyone have the correct information on this. I'm super curious now. jake

Edited by NoMoBand

My band was removed in April and my sleeve is scheduled for August. I wonder if it's been long enough that I'm considered a revision. I've gained 20 pounds since the band removal so I wonder if my metabolism is normal again.

Like I said I am only guessing. I know there has been some talk on metabolism on other sites, but, I'm not sure how that works. The reason I posted that was because Judy's band removal has been 3 years ago and she gained all her weight back and then some. I will research this tomorrow and see what I find. I know that there has been some talk on a Facebook support group about this. I'll look it up and then I'll know what to google. jake

Rev band to sleeve June22 298 and add as of today 270. Start soft food Monday. Slower is fine with me I'm just happy to be rod of the band

True! Its a whole new ball game being able to eat again (even a little) and not throw up all the time. It was so routine for me to gag all the time, my kids would say "moms chewing her backed up cud again" yuk. lol

True! Its a whole new ball game being able to eat again (even a little) and not throw up all the time. It was so routine for me to gag all the time, my kids would say "moms chewing her backed up cud again" yuk. lol

EWWW ;) Anytime I get up from the table my 6 year old son says "Are you going to throw up?". I'm so done with that part of my life.

I've been reading the main sleeve forums and they all seem to be losing very quickly (i.e. 40 pounds the first 3 months). But when I read the band to sleeve forums it seems like we are all losing a lot more slowly (i.e. 20 pounds in 3 months). Do you all find that too? I'm just curious what kind of weight loss to expect right off. My surgery is August 3rd.

I was revised in oct 2014, and as of today i have lost 132lbs and still got more to lose. Am i slow in losing? I don't think so. Has it been easy? Hell no, ive struggled the last two months in a massive stall, but I'm back to moving down the scales - yippee!

At the end of the day, its up to you, follow your surgeons plan and never, ever give up!

Best wishes to you.

ladivaluz806,

Congratulations on your 30-lb weight loss and your smaller size! Revisions can lose weight more slowly than first-timers, but you are doing great, whether or not you feel like you are losing weight more slowly than non-revision patients. You’re on track to hit your goal within well under a year, and that’s something very few patients can do! It sounds like you have a good attitude about this. Savor the process and be proud of yourself, and take notes of what works so well for you so you can refer to your notes once you hit maintenance!

Are you still considered a revision if you have two surgeries several months apart?

I've been reading the main sleeve forums and they all seem to be losing very quickly (i.e. 40 pounds the first 3 months). But when I read the band to sleeve forums it seems like we are all losing a lot more slowly (i.e. 20 pounds in 3 months). Do you all find that too? I'm just curious what kind of weight loss to expect right off. My surgery is August 3rd.

I was converted from band to sleeve on 6/29/15...and it has been the best decision. I have lost 14 lbs in two weeks. I posed this question to my surgeon...snd he said that if your surgeon does the procedure correctly; by removing all s AR tissue around esophagus, etc....it's essentially like starting over as if the sleeve is the original procedure...so your surgeon needs to take his/her time...get scar tissue out and make a good cut/incision and make sure they get that tight "banana" shape sleeve. This was direct quotes from my surgeon. Hope this helps. I'm glad I made this decision! Hope this helps!

I think it depends on how your surgeon is able to do the surgery. I have a slightly larger sleeve because of scar tissue around the esophagus that my surgeon didn't feel was safe to remove. He left the sleeve a little larger so I didn't run the risk of leaking. So he said it may be slower.

I lost at a normal rate even though I was band to sleeve revision. I think there are many factors but #1 my band had been no fill for many years and I had regained (plus more ) years before my revision and 2) I asked what to beware of as a revisionista and it was tolerating that feel if a full esophagus. Some bandsters get used to that feeling. ..I was very conscious of portions sizes because that has always been my downfall.

Did people lose faster when they were using the band than when sleeved?

It seems like people are averaging, at a minimum, losing 10 lbs a month when sleeved. I never lost 10 lbs in a month when banded so will be delighted if I lose that with the sleeve.