Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve lose more slowly?

I've been reading the main sleeve forums and they all seem to be losing very quickly (i.e. 40 pounds the first 3 months). But when I read the band to sleeve forums it seems like we are all losing a lot more slowly (i.e. 20 pounds in 3 months). Do you all find that too? I'm just curious what kind of weight loss to expect right off. My surgery is August 3rd.

I'm curious about this too. I asked my surgeon about this just the other day. He says that conversions due tend to lose a little less. Looking forward to responses. I'm awaiting approval from ins company.

Edited by nurseforlapband

I'm 8 weeks out band to sleeve revised and yes weight loss is slow for me, however, I was also at a stand still with my weight loss right before they removed the band and actually gained some weight before removal.

I think with any weight loss surgery, you come upon a halt in weight loss at a given time. After 100 lbs. loss with the lap band, I was stalled for months (plateau) I remember my lap band doctor saying that the band did all it was going to do and now it was up to me. What that meant I never questioned, but, hearing other people stories and frustrations, there seems to be truth to this. What throws me off mentally is that I work out rigorously 7 days a week - 40 minutes hard cardio and now 1/2 hour light strength training. With the band it was 60 minutes cardio only and did this for 2 years with results of being down 5 lbs and then up 5 lbs. Now, with the sleeve I'm down 3 lbs, then up 3 lbs. I've talked to a trainer whom tells me that I'm calorie deficient due to my rigorous workouts. If that is the issue, I just cannot get more food into me. If i eat small meals all day, then, I can't get my Water intake in and throws my digestive system off. I drink Protein shakes in-between meals, but, I am soooo tired of them! Maybe, getting a Protein with higher calories? I see my doc in 3 weeks and will ask.

On a more positive note, I'm not reporting that I met my short term goal of getting into a smaller pant size and shirt size. I went from a 36 waist to a very comfortable 34 waist and my shirts were Xlarge and now wear a comfortable Large, so, things are happening for me, but, darn it, I want the scale to show it!!!! I know men lose differently, but, the slow weight loss for revisions is very real for both sexes, yet, I read of others that were revised (men and women) that are very successful. I want to know their secret! jake

Edited by NoMoBand

I've been reading the main sleeve forums and they all seem to be losing very quickly (i.e. 40 pounds the first 3 months). But when I read the band to sleeve forums it seems like we are all losing a lot more slowly (i.e. 20 pounds in 3 months). Do you all find that too? I'm just curious what kind of weight loss to expect right off. My surgery is August 3rd.

I've lost 12lbs in one week does that help?

I think it is slower.. I am 2 months and one week post op and ive lost 30 since I began the WLS process so since surgery ive lost 25 real pounds. I trust what is happening I do think my stomach can fit more food than it should. So i have to keep low carb things on hand to deal with that. It is dishearting yes, but its the nature of this beast. Got to keep pushing forward as hard as that is at times. I will keep the good attitude up.

Was that your first week post-op?

I know that wasnt towards me but I went from 260-248 my first week so yes the first week is amazing.. i totally skipped the 250's I was over the moon =)

Was that your first week post-op?
yes

I know that wasnt towards me but I went from 260-248 my first week so yes the first week is amazing.. i totally skipped the 250's I was over the moon =)

I don't think 30lbs in 2 months is slow. I would be very happy with that.

I know.. I shouldn't think it is.. but again in comparison to non revisors it is a tad bit slower. Don't get me wrong i am happy to be fitting loosely in a size 18 where as before it was a TIGHT 20. I am trusting my process completely, its working and I am happy about that. Now just about 50 more to go! :)

I know.. I shouldn't think it is.. but again in comparison to non revisors it is a tad bit slower. Don't get me wrong i am happy to be fitting loosely in a size 18 where as before it was a TIGHT 20. I am trusting my process completely, its working and I am happy about that. Now just about 50 more to go! :)

That's what I was saying.... Compared to non-banders I think we lose slower. But right now, I'd love to lose anything! :)

That's what I was saying.... Compared to non-banders I think we lose slower. But right now, I'd love to lose anything! :)

I think we just have to take what we have. I'm sure there are many factors contributing to success for former band patients.

For sure! I may not be where I want to be YET .. but I am definately not where I used to be!

I had my band taken out in 2012 and scheduled for the sleeve on Aug 12. So you think I still qualify as a revision? I've gained all that I lost with the band and then another 50 or so.