Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reading through the various topics on this site it occurred to me that there seem to be many different post op diets. People mentioning stages and such. Through my program we were started on 2 tbs per meal and to add a tsp every 12 days or so. I am currently 7 weeks post op and my meal size is 3 tbs and 1 tsp. Are others having similar restrictions? I am to be at 4 tbs aka 1/4 cup by the 3 month mark. I have seen other diets posted where people are going home to 1/4 cup. I wouldn't try to eat that much cause if I go over my 3 tbs and 1 tsp right now I know I'd pay a price. So just curious are others having these tight of restrictions?

For my first three weeks post op I was just on liquids, so they didn't really give me a measurement, beyond getting in 64 oz of Water a day. Starting week 3 I was advanced to soft foods and my serving size is supposed to be 4 tbsps, which is 1/4 cup. I think lol. It's only been a few days but that 1/4 cup has been going down very easily. I'm not sure the time frame for advancing again.

I too left on liquids want from clear to full when I went to full that's when I had to start measuring. Then while on soft foods they started to have us taper upwards. So over the next 5 weeks I will go up to 1/4 cup by adding a teaspoon in another two weeks and another two weeks after. So I will be 12 weeks post op when I get to 1/4 cup. Then from 12 weeks to 24 weeks aka 6 months I am to advance to 1/2 cup. That repeats again twice till finally at the end of one year I will be at 1 cup and that's where they want us to stop.

I am at 6 weeks and am able to eat 2-2.5 ounces of food.

While I was briefly on stage 4 (had to be moved back to 3 because of an abscess), I could only eat 1/4C. I was never really given any measurements and was able to eat a whole yogurt, so I tried 1/2C Soup and was miserable! There is nothing worse than the feeling of food in your throat and you really cant do anything about it.

Hmmm I'm at almost 8 weeks out I think i'm still just having 2 oz. Per meal. I think it depends on the person. Maybe some pouches are smaller than others? Not real sure but I'm affraid of stretching my little pouch so I don't want to eat more than 2 oz. Per meal.

I'm 3 weeks post op and my program has us eating 1/2 - 3/4 c at each meal and 1/2 c at each snack (eating 5 times a day). I haven't been able to eat 5 times a day nor get up to 3/4 c. 1/2 c is pretty normal for me.

I'm about 10 weeks out from gastric bypass and I have wondered the same thing. For me it seems to depend on the food. I can eat close to half a cup of Soup but when it comes to meat (chicken, turkey, beef) I can only handle about 2 oz. The liquidy foods are much better for me to handle. I am also concerned at the same time about stretching my pouch. I don't know much is too much at times.

I'm just 1 week out and could add yogurt, applesauce and digit mashed potatoes thus week. I have absolutely no trouble eating 1/2 cup of anything mushy. Is that bad?

I don't think it's bad. I think as long as you stop when you feel full you should be OK I would think. I'm a big fan of "when in doubt" call the doc or the nut. I always do

Mobeans- I consider all that slider foods. If I can't get anything else down I eat yogurt. There have been plenty of nights that I sit down to eat. I try to chew up my chicken or turkey patty and it no go. My saving grace every time is my yogurt or cottage cheese. I can kill a 4 oz cup of yogurt and not think twice. However if I can get 2 maybe 3 oz of chicken, turkey, tuna, I am doing great.

Hi I had a horrible time after I had my gastric bypass (surgery date ward 6\25\13). I could not even drink 1 oz of Water like we were suppose to. It took me about 2 months to be able just to drink 1oz every hour. I still has problems with food. No more then 4 oz at a time. But if I eat meat like chicken or steak. I can usually only take 2 maybe 3 bites.

It does depend on your doctor AND your body.

REMEMBER when your body says your full. LISTEN!!!!!!!!! Eat slow. Ew your food until there is nothing to chew. There isnlting worse then being full and foodstuck in your throat. Or even worse, the dreaded dumping syndrome

Just keep up with it. It is worth it.

I went from 5'7" 301 to 139.

It is soooooooo worth it. Good luck.

I am at 7 weeks out and eat my three meals a day with one snack. I have been finding the last couple of days that I feel hungry in between meals, I don't know why, I eat enough, stop when I feel that I am getting full, not going to make myself sick. Is anyone else going through this?

My program started me out on 1/2 a cup of stage two liquids (broth, Soups, Jello, Protein Drinks, etc) and work up to 3/4 of a cup. Three meals a day. I'm still in stage two so I'm not sure what comes after that.