Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5'9"...sleeved 5/20. I gave myself a generic goal weight based partly of the BMI calculators and a clothing size I think realistically I could achieve. But I set little goals for myself with a little reward once I reach them (down a size new pair of jeans that actually fit, ONEDERLAND which I just hit is a massage!)

I'm 5' 5" (an a half, lol) and my surgeon did set a goal for me of 138. It's smack in the middle of the BMI range. I'm not "small boned" per se. I wear from 6 to 8, or small to large depending on the make.

I'm just about at my goal now.

I'm 5'4" and I picked my goal weight of 135 out of nowhere. My surgeon never gave me one. I have a weight tracker app that set my goal at 124.7 lbs. I am exactly 0.1 lb away from that ridiculous app's goal. Sitting at 124.8 today. I was happy at 135, but my body has kept losing. I guess it will stop when it's ready, and who knows where that will be. At 8 months out now, the pace of losing has slowed considerably.

I'm 5'8" and my fantasy goal weight is 150, but realistically I would be fine with 160 which was my teenage weight many years ago. (I'm 64). I've been in sizes 20 to 26 and back since that time. All I know is the sizes must've changed drastically because at 150-160 I was the "fat girl" at school and wore a 16-18. My body is weird and always has been. I have skinny legs and arms, but my middle is a huge globe and my boobs have been XXL forever. I look like a baked potato with toothpicks for legs and arms. My surgeon even commented on my skinny legs last month at my one month post op checkup. That's where I've lost my weight. ????. I will be thrilled to be in onederland, but I want to run and jump and play with my grandchildren without huffing, puffing and asking for help getting up off the floor (or heaven forbid) that beanbag chair! I started at 276 and am hovering around 233 now. I feel better already but I want to feel super better! ????. At least I don't feel like I could die at any moment like I did a few short months ago. I was sleeved on May 20th.

Bubbletoes I agree sizes or people aren't what they use to be! I read all these posts of people who say they're 5'5" tall and weigh 155 pounds and they're wearing size six! 30 plus years ago a size six was the smallest they made and you'd have to be 5'4" and 110 pounds to wear them!

@@FutureMrs.Bee @@AlanaRN

I know, right?! I'm 5'5", and am 157lbs and am a size 8. I don't think I could squeeze my ass into a size 6 if I tried! Maybe 10 more pounds....

Anyhoo....I chose my goal weight by a "normal" BMI. 150 pounds is the highest end of a normal BMI, so I figured being someone *ahem* my age, I wouldn't be too unrealistic and shoot for 135. I may go 145, but that's it.

Bubbletoes I agree sizes or people aren't what they use to be! I read all these posts of people who say they're 5'5" tall and weigh 155 pounds and they're wearing size six! 30 plus years ago a size six was the smallest they made and you'd have to be 5'4" and 110 pounds to wear them!

Yeah now we have 00! How is that even a size?

I started my journey at a low bmi... just barely insurance acceptable at 223 and 5 foot 2 and 1/4. My pre op final weight was 203 and today 12 days out i am 189. I told my doc on my in inital visit that I wanted my goal at 150. I can't remember being 150 ever! Well maybe in the 5th grade when I was the "fat girl " I've since revised that to 130. By ideal weight by medical standards is 128. I can't picture myself that small but I'm shooting for 130 but I won't be disappointed if I don't quite make it there.

I started my journey at a low bmi... just barely insurance acceptable at 223 and 5 foot 2 and 1/4. My pre op final weight was 203 and today 12 days out i am 189. I told my doc on my in inital visit that I wanted my goal at 150. I can't remember being 150 ever! Well maybe in the 5th grade when I was the "fat girl " I've since revised that to 130. By ideal weight by medical standards is 128. I can't picture myself that small but I'm shooting for 130 but I won't be disappointed if I don't quite make it there.

You might surprise yourself! I couldn't imagine being lighter than my lowest adult weight of 155--size 10. I am now 135 and size 4 (of course sizes are different now and my 10 back then would likely be a 6/8 today!)

I'm excited....my lowest weight in the last 10 years was 177 ND that was after i had my son and was sick the entire pregnancy due to gall bladder. I quickly gained everything back after i had it removed. I'm only 12 ponds away from that right now ;)

My surgeon and primary care physician set it after my 6 month appointment. I'm 5'11 with a large frame. So we decided 190 would be the goal. I will be happy to be 199 and out of the two hundreds. :). 80 more to get there. I'm going to do it before my first yr anniversary. However I set little goals along the way. I never thought this would be possible. I'm so happy I got the sleeve and got my life back. Best of Luck

My surgeon hasn't given me a goal weight--they just gave the average excess weight loss stat of 60%-70%. I'm 5'2", and I've made my personal goal 145. I was 145 for a time during college, and I felt pretty good there, so that's why I picked it. By the BMI charts, it's still overweight, and I'd be thrilled to lose more and get to 130-135, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. Like others, I can't imagine weighing what I did as a teenager (115-125), especially since I was in ballet and danced about 20 hours a week, and still struggled to keep my weight down.

Hahaha! post-249057-14366569207912_thumb.jpg

There are lots of apps that will tell you your ideal weight based on height and frame. I am 5'3" and medium frame. I want a BMI of 25 or lower, which is considered healthy. For me that is bw 126-135 lbs. My lowest adult weight was 172 and I am within 10 lbs of that today, so anything lower is a bonus to me! :) But goals are important for motivation and ultimately celebration!

I think a lot of us start by looking at the BMI charts to pick an initial goal, and then adjust that goal based on how we feel and what our bodies tell us. I think a lot of WLS patients first choose a BMI of 25 for their ultimate goal, and then see how that goes. Like you said, different people look and feel different at the same BMI, and sometimes the body just won’t go for a certain BMI.