Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Rollercoaster

I'm on day 6 of my 14 day pre-op diet and I feel really down. (I'm just being honest) Did any of you experience mood swings? I don't even want to attend any bbq's. I feel like I can control myself but I have just been blah the last two days...

That could be any number of things. When I did my 2 week pre-op diet I was losing weight and as I understand it, hormones get released from the fat cells and can swing your moods. Also at the same time, not eating all the bad things I used to eat, I was in a sort of mourning for the foods and eating I would no longer do. I knew I had made a decision to get healthy and change my eating habits and I had done so for the 5 months prior to surgery but I guess it was the reality of I would never again b able to eat the way I did before. I don't know if that makes sense because I was committed to this new lifestyle but something about those 2 weeks shook me up. I stayed on track but as the two weeks went on, I lost the desire to eat even the free foods I was allowed. I ate every 2 hours as instructed but no joy. I will say it helped me to begin developing a new relationship with food.

It really is true I should eat to live and not live to eat. Since I have been overweight my whole life that was a hard lesson learned. Now I am almost 8 weeks out and can eat anything. I look at this as an amazing tool s it really helps me to decide what I want to eat. I only have an opportunity to eat 3/4 cup of food so it has to be good for me to feed my body not just my head.

Good luck to you on this journey. You will find it is not just about the food but about your head. The surgery may help our stomach but the head needs work also. I wish you the best and know you will do great. Once you get to the other side and back to regular foods you will see why you did this. You will Celebrate every milestone and success and be glad you did.

Leshell I am just starting the process so I am no where near the preop diet. I have to go through the 6 month supervised diet. Shrinking peach if I read correctly you were on a 6 month supervised diet as well and based on your profile it looks like you lost a lot of weight before the surgery. May I ask what kind of a diet you were on to lose so much weight? It seems like you have your head in the right place.

Am looking for friends and hope you both don't mind if I send a friends request to the both of you as I can use all the support I can get.

That could be any number of things. When I did my 2 week pre-op diet I was losing weight and as I understand it, hormones get released from the fat cells and can swing your moods. Also at the same time, not eating all the bad things I used to eat, I was in a sort of mourning for the foods and eating I would no longer do. I knew I had made a decision to get healthy and change my eating habits and I had done so for the 5 months prior to surgery but I guess it was the reality of I would never again b able to eat the way I did before. I don't know if that makes sense because I was committed to this new lifestyle but something about those 2 weeks shook me up. I stayed on track but as the two weeks went on, I lost the desire to eat even the free foods I was allowed. I ate every 2 hours as instructed but no joy. I will say it helped me to begin developing a new relationship with food.

It really is true I should eat to live and not live to eat. Since I have been overweight my whole life that was a hard lesson learned. Now I am almost 8 weeks out and can eat anything. I look at this as an amazing tool s it really helps me to decide what I want to eat. I only have an opportunity to eat 3/4 cup of food so it has to be good for me to feed my body not just my head.

Good luck to you on this journey. You will find it is not just about the food but about your head. The surgery may help our stomach but the head needs work also. I wish you the best and know you will do great. Once you get to the other side and back to regular foods you will see why you did this. You will Celebrate every milestone and success and be glad you did.

Thanks Alot for the encouraging words. I really needed to hear that. This is definitely something that I want and I really do look forward to the "New Me"

I am also doing my pre op diet. I also DO NOT want to go anywhere. I really just want to stay home. Not necessarily to sulk (okay maybe a little) but I just am not sure how to have fun without being part of the food fun. I have to take my own dinner because I don't trust myself to eat a lean cuisine portion size of my in laws barbecue. And yay, jell o again. I know it is so worth it its just kind of a bummer. You are not alone!!!!

I am also doing my pre op diet. I also DO NOT want to go anywhere. I really just want to stay home. Not necessarily to sulk (okay maybe a little) but I just am not sure how to have fun without being part of the food fun. I have to take my own dinner because I don't trust myself to eat a lean cuisine portion size of my in laws barbecue. And yay, jell o again. I know it is so worth it its just kind of a bummer. You are not alone!!!!

so good to know that I am not alone

I am also feeling down today. I have so many reasons to be thankful but I can't help but feel alone. My neighbors invited our film of four over. They had all kinds of bbq (burgers, hot dogs), ribs, pork steaks,etc) and delicious looking sides. While my kids and husband ate, I made up an excuse to leave. I was seriously tempted when o got back home but made a salad instead. I started feeling really down on myself because I can't even enjoy time with the neighbors. So much of my life has been good, but I am 250 lbs for that reason!

I said all of that to say that you are definitely not alone. I'm feeling the same way. I am on week 2 of my diet. I hope it all gets better!!

I am also feeling down today. I have so many reasons to be thankful but I can't help but feel alone. My neighbors invited our film of four over. They had all kinds of bbq (burgers, hot dogs), ribs, pork steaks,etc) and delicious looking sides. While my kids and husband ate, I made up an excuse to leave. I was seriously tempted when o got back home but made a salad instead. I started feeling really down on myself because I can't even enjoy time with the neighbors. So much of my life has been good, but I am 250 lbs for that reason!

I said all of that to say that you are definitely not alone. I'm feeling the same way. I am on week 2 of my diet. I hope it all gets better!!

Thanks...I decided to come to the cookout and my aunt made kabobs especially for so I ate the chicken and the veggies. I didn't over do it. They have drinks and I feel fine and very proud of myself ????

Leshell I am just starting the process so I am no where near the preop diet. I have to go through the 6 month supervised diet. Shrinking peach if I read correctly you were on a 6 month supervised diet as well and based on your profile it looks like you lost a lot of weight before the surgery. May I ask what kind of a diet you were on to lose so much weight? It seems like you have your head in the right place.

Am looking for friends and hope you both don't mind if I send a friends request to the both of you as I can use all the support I can get.

The diet required by my surgeon's office was 2 weeks but I had researched the surgery and knew what I would be expected to eat after. My consult was on January 29th of this year and 2 weeks before I decided to go ahead and switch to a higher Protein lower carb way of eating. I had made my mind up that I wanted the sleeve and would do whatever I had to do to get it. I lost 34 pounds before my pre-op visit and have lost 33 pounds since surgery on May 15th. I am glad I made that change as the pre-op diet went smoothly and the whole change has been less of a shock. I didn't do the food funeral that so many do. I didn't cheat on my pre-op plan or my plan now.

This is it...my chance to lose the weight and I am trying my best to take it. I expect to be human and I expect to make mistakes...I took one too many bites 3 weeks post-op and paid for it with severe stomach pains for about 15 minutes, won't do that again.

The statistics say that one can expect to lose 80% of their excess weight with the sleeve. With what I lost prior to surgery and what I lost so far after, I have lost 34%. I want to be on the high side of that average. @@ssflbelle add me if you like. I will always be honest but nice about it.

I will say to you both, take your measurements now. There will be times when you don't see the scale moving but the inches will still be coming off. I am so glad I took mine at the beginning so I can see it on paper and not just in my clothes. I have lost 43.5 inches so far...it is incredible and humbling all at once. I just took my measurements today and compared to June 5th I had lost 13 inches.

Good luck to you both and message me any time! :)

Thank you so much for the info and for the invite. I would love to add you as a friend and share the journey together.

I don't have to start my pre-op diet until the 10th I only have to do it one week but I've been practicing and its hard I start to cry ever time I cheat.... I hope that when I actually start I can make it through the whole thing with out cheating I know that we can do it though

I don't have to start my pre-op diet until the 10th I only have to do it one week but I've been practicing and its hard I start to cry ever time I cheat.... I hope that when I actually start I can make it through the whole thing with out cheating I know that we can do it though

I understand. But I feel like if we cheat we are just cheating ourselves. Especially this far in the game. I know it's hard but I try to stay focused on the long term goal

Edited by leshell36