Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official August thread! Where are you guys?

Thursday August 20th! Excited / terrified on the eve of my surgery.

yay!!! I hope it went well!

How is everyone doing that has already had surgery? I am scheduled for wednesday, and I am getting anxious!! I am on day 11 of the Protein Shake diet, and have one day of clear fluids on Tuesday. The first few days were really tough, with bad headaches and stomach aches. I think my system hates the Protein Powder my surgeon requires :( Anyone else not able to really tolerate the Protein powder? My stomach is making crazy noises all day.... And the gas! PU! Is this "normal"?? Throughout all the insurance hoops, etc, I kept telling myself to 'enjoy the process'; it is hard to enjoy this step as I am in fear of passing uncontrolable gas while at work! I am getting nervous and just want to be on the other side of surgery. Blessings to you all.

Thanks I am much better had surgery monday and the gas is better but is the worst part as long as you walk walk you be fine also gas x strips are great helps with bloating. I had to do 2 days of clear liquid and they where horrible the headache was out of control . Which Protein are you drinking?

My surgery was Monday as well. I'm doing a lot better and feeling a lot better, though it's still pretty easy to tire me out. I just went into the kitchen to mix and strain some cream of chicken Soup and just that act was a bit much for me. As for your gas and uncomfortable body responses to the Protein Shakes, make sure the shakes you're drinking are low sugar. If they are, then most likely your discomfort is your digestive system getting used to a completely new diet. After a while of no or low sugar Protein preop, my head felt clearer, my sense of smell and taste were suddenly so much stronger, and my stomach adjusted to it. Some of the crap we put into our bodies before the preop and post op diets can really screw us up. Think of it like withdrawal symptoms, because that's essentially what your discomfort is. Ylluz's suggestion of gas-x strips is a fantastic one. They work wonders pretty much as soon as they dissolve. I've been using them religiously.

Feel free to message me anytime if you want to talk. Or text me, I can give your my number in a pm. Good luck, take care of yourself. This will all be over soon and then your new, healthy and happy life will begin. :)

Edited by Cervidae

Yess so true all the garbage we ate before lol is a big diffrence yeah the shakes only has 1 gr sugar I am diabetic I think since my sugars has been low now my body is adjusting also. Yes please lets stay in touch:)

Ah what the hell, here's my number for anyone here who wants to be friends/ keep in touch. We're all in this together anyway: 585-919-4548 ^_^

My surgery was on Monday the 17th, so I am day 6.

Still on Clear Liquids as I battled nausea for a couple of days and couldn't get enough fluids in.

Today is the first day I will break 40 ozs.

I Think on Monday I will start adding in Protein Shakes.

And I think I have to do that for 2 weeks before I start pureed foods.

I had surgery on Monday as well. The first two days were hard, but it's getting easier and easier each day. I agree with the walking... It really does help even if I feel like a 90 year old man sometimes. Slow and steady wins the race.

I was on clear fluids Tuesday and Wednesday, then adding other liquids and even some soft foods (yogurt, applesauce, cream of wheat, etc)... It's surprising to me what I'm allowed to eat already based on what other plans allow, but it's all gone down okay.

I get my drain removed on Monday, and see my nut right after that.

@@axlr8n everyone else I asked was saying they didn't have to go home with a drain. o.O I did, and I freaking HATE IT. It's seriously the only part of my abdomen that hurts anymore! And if freaks me out because I'm worried I'll get it stuck in something or snag it, or my cat will attack it, or I'll get an infection, etc... I just want it out of me right now >.< I have to wait until wednesday. I just want it out of me now. :(

I know, the drain is the worst part right now. I didn't mind it so much the fist couple days, but it's getting old. I worry about the same things you mentioned... Puppies jumping, catching it on something, plus it's just gross looking.

Surgery on August 11, 2015 and very well. My energy level is great. Drinking shakes and eating soft purée foods such cottage cheese, refried Beans, and apple sauce. List 17 pounds so far. So thankful to have this tool. There are time I struggle with psychological hunger. Last night was the worse. Family eating popcorn and chips. Just told myself I didn't need it and drank Water. It passed.

I am so nervous about my surgery, tomorrow. I have been on clear liquids since Wednesday (5 days total). The only part that has been bad is that nothing but liquid comes out and there is so much rumbling (not the hunger kind the intestinal kind) and you never know if its just gas or you have to go to the bathroom. I had heard about this post op but I didn't know it happened pre op. Plus, the weakness from not having any nutrients. I can't understand why I can't have Protein Shakes - it's clear liquid only. I have made a few different broths, but that seems to be what gets my intestines in an uproar, so today I won't have any broth - just Water, Powerade and ginger ale. Ginger ale has been a life saver. I'm even drinking the regular - not diet. So, I think it's the sugar thats helping. I wish I could drink it post op.

I hear a lot of you complaining about the drain - my Mom had hers n for 3 months! She originally had the sleeve and everything went great with that surgery. But, she had been having horrible Acid Reflux and even throwing up from it. So, in April they revised it to RNY and repaired a Hiatel Hernia. Well, she had every complication that they warn you about. First a staple slipped - it wouldn't stay in the old scar tissue. So she needed complete digestive rest to heal the leak, so they inserted a pic line to giver her nutrients (TPN). The Pic line cause infection and her stomach was filled with abscesses. She had to wear the drain until the infection all drained out. She was in and out of the hospital during that 3 months and was staying with me in between hospital stays because someone had to hook up her TPN everynight. She finally, was taking off the TPN and put on soft foods and went home at the end of July. But, she still gets tired and is still working on getting her strength and stamina back.

Surgery went well. I have started back onto clear liquids. Water is making me naseous but, I ordered some sugar free Jello and that seems to be going down well. My stomach hurts a lot, getting in an out of bed is so painful! Gas pain seems to be going away - let's hope. Dr. Said she's going to keep me another day since I'm not handling water well.

It will get much better every day. Just take it easyz and take care of yourself. The worst is behind you. :) keep us updated.